• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Best discs for my nephew? My Dad? Blizzard?

EJBusch

Par Member
Would a Blizzard Teebird be good? My Dad isn't a big time heavy thrower, but has decent form. He's good at everything, tough to live up to...

Anyway, I want to get my Dad a disc, then probably give him a hand-me-down Shark.

I already got my Nephew some discs, so he may very well have enough, but this was before the Blizzard discs came out. Would these be good for kids? He's 7.

Might also be good for my Dad, I was thinking about getting him a Blizzard Wriath. A bit slower than the others, but should still get him some good distance? Almost every drive is a forehand for him. He's recently recovered from a torn ACL/Miniscus, so that may be why he throws forehand vs. backhand... Anyway... Yeah.

Suggestions?

As far as I know they don't have blizzard Teebirds. I think Blizzard (bubbles) is to get wide rim drivers in premium plastic at lower weights. My wife has a 150 Champion Teebird, but not blizzard. 150 Pro plastics fly nice as well.

Oh, it's the Teedevil isn't it? Jeez... Maybe they shouldn't name them so closely ;)

So the Teebird flies well at lower-ish speeds? That would be doubly cool since my Dad used to drive a T-Bird :)

Get the kid a super light dominator from the factory store ($11, factory seconds). The 150s are real flippy for me, but I handed mine to a girl on the course today and she threw her best drive of the day with it.

I'm interested in this too..especially for the nephew... my 7 (almost 8) year old nephew has shown interest in my newest favorite game... I have a 150 dx leopard on the way... not sure what putter to get him yet? mid?

My 6yr old daughter has lots of 150's and the one she throws best is a star Leo :) she putts with a 145 aviar and seems to like it.

Get the kid a super light dominator from the factory store ($11, factory seconds). The 150s are real flippy for me, but I handed mine to a girl on the course today and she threw her best drive of the day with it.
Interesting. I can't throw my dragon for a damn, just flips all over the place. But my girlfriend can throw it quite well. Her furtherest disc.

I'm interested in this too..especially for the nephew... my 7 (almost 8) year old nephew has shown interest in my newest favorite game... I have a 150 dx leopard on the way... not sure what putter to get him yet? mid?
Would a putter be very beneficial to him? My nephew is a bit too antsy to actually make good putts at this point.:)

I bought my friends daughter a 120g Buzzz.
I'm not sure what all discs he has right now... His other uncle bought him discs as well. So perhaps I should just search for my parents for now.

I'll probably hand my Shark down to my dad (DX). Which means I'll need to replace it as well for myself...

For lower power players I always suggest slower discs that are understable. Comet, stratus, leopard, so on and al forth. But those are some good ones too start with. You'd be surprised. My dad can throw his comet further and straighter than any other disc.

For lower power players I always suggest slower discs that are understable. Comet, stratus, leopard, so on and so forth. But those are some good ones too start with. You'd be surprised. My dad can throw his comet further and straighter than any other disc.

This would be my suggestion as well.

I have a buddy who went out and bought a bunch of fast and stable/overstable discs after his first round (ignoring my advice). Every round since, he's been frustrated with his discs flying high and left. We threw another round this week, and I handed him a light Pro Leopard (picked up a couple for new players) I had just gotten in the mail that day and told him to put his other drivers away. He spent the whole round in the fairway, and his excitement for the game returned. I gave him the disc.

If you're really wanting to get him a Blizzard mold, I would suggest a Katana. They are flippy for everyone here, but for someone with decent form and a low arm speed, he'll probably get close to outdriving you with it.

Innova makes lots of discs in light weights. I have a lot of dx plastic around 130g. I have gateway putters between 120g-150g also. I have 3 kids, and the lighter discs work best. I have beasts, sidewinders, leopards, sharks, rocs, aviars, polecats, buzzes, and zephyrs all in dx and under 130g.

This would be my suggestion as well.

I have a buddy who went out and bought a bunch of fast and stable/overstable discs after his first round (ignoring my advice). Every round since, he's been frustrated with his discs flying high and left. We threw another round this week, and I handed him a light Pro Leopard (picked up a couple for new players) I had just gotten in the mail that day and told him to put his other drivers away. He spent the whole round in the fairway, and his excitement for the game returned. I gave him the disc.

If you're really wanting to get him a Blizzard mold, I would suggest a Katana. They are flippy for everyone here, but for someone with decent form and a low arm speed, he'll probably get close to outdriving you with it.
The main reason I said Blizzard was because their big claim was that they threw faster than normal. Right?

That is right, yes. They go far with little to no effort. They still have similar flights to their heavier counterparts so stick with the understable molds for your dad.

I picked him up a Blizz Wriath (139.) He did decently well with my champ Wriath and I feel like he could be pretty decent with this. It has just a slight S which plays into his RHFH pretty well. I'll also be giving him my DX Shark for throws not off the pin. I'll probably be replacing that in my bag with a Ti Buzz.

For the young'uns, putter-wise, I gave my 8 yo niece a 151 soft Magic. Its catchable and floats, and as their Ultimate tosser disc bit the dust, they use it for play at the beach. So their throwing form is improving. :thmbup:

Latest posts