• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best FIRST driver

Best FIRST Driver

• Leopard

Votes: 168 63.2%
  • Eagle

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Diamond

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Underworld

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Teebird

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 55 20.7%

• Total voters
I ran into a guy on the course playing with just a Buzzz. He had been playing for 2 years at the time and said it was the only disc he ever used. He tore the course apart with it, outdriving me by 50' easily on every hole and shaping every line he needed with that disc.
In the short positions it's not difficult to make par with a putter. 200+150=putt With that said, of the list i'd suggest Tbird but not on the list... a light Beast.

Bad question.
Is the noob young, old, male, female, fit or couch potato? What's good for one is not right for all of these.
Open, general questions usually get generally broad answers.

Last edited:
I have yet to play a course that needed a driver on every hole, and a lot of courses need one maybe on one or two holes.

Mids are more controllable and make the game more fun for a newbie starting out.

The last time I injured myself and had to start over I realized just that. My most used disc is an ESP Impact. (Speed 6) My drivers are more used on windy days. (But in my case throwing more than 250' causes pain after a short time.)

DX Gazelle. Incredibly underrated disc they have great control and very good glide.

I just picked up a Leopard and as a new player, gotta say I'm enjoying it quite a lot. I started with an Avenger SS, then got a Stalker, then Beast (which I'd say is another alternative for a good beginner driver) and now I'm throwing a Leopard. It gets out of my hand quickly and seems to have an awesome glide, goes where I throw it, whether it's hyzer, anny, or straight, it holds that line. Really enjoying throwing the disc right now.

My ten year old daughter has a 150 gram Diamond and my eight year old daughter has a 150 gram Star Teebird (low PLH). I started with a DX Valkyrie which worked out really well.

My ten year old nephew throws both FH and BH so I gave him a DX Teebird rather than an understable fairway. Side note... he has only played a handful of rounds over the last couple of years. I took him out about a month ago and he was throwing pretty well RHBH and RHFH. In the middle of the round he said "I am going to try throwing with my left hand" and then backhanded a Warden 200 feet, oat free, with his left hand.

It's kinda funny that I said Leopard. My first driver was an Archangel, nice and understable. Very easy to throw. Then I had the need for speed. Next was a Sidewinder all the way up to a Katana. I was having troubles throwing 11, 12, 13 speed drivers. Then I went down in speed to a Leopard. It is my most consistent disc in my bag behind my Roc but I came full circle to a disc that I should have started with in the first place.

Bad question.
Is the noob young, old, male, female, fit or couch potato? What's good for one is not right for all of these.
Open, general questions usually get generally broad answers.

Wrong. For someone that has dubbed himself DiscJunkie you should know better than to give such a ridiculously bad answer. You can vary Leopards by weight and plastic to fit any kind of beginner.

It's kinda funny that I said Leopard. My first driver was an Archangel, nice and understable. Very easy to throw. Then I had the need for speed. Next was a Sidewinder all the way up to a Katana. I was having troubles throwing 11, 12, 13 speed drivers. Then I went down in speed to a Leopard. It is my most consistent disc in my bag behind my Roc but I came full circle to a disc that I should have started with in the first place.

The first true driver I ever used was an Archangel in high school. Aced with it twice. Had one in the bag until 2012. Great fish with decent glide for beginners to enjoy. I still go with Leopard/Icon Patriot just because it's slower and can do many different things. Mr. Butlertron hit the nail on the head with his answer.

Old beat in Star Wraith, not because I thought it would be a great disc but it was the first disc my son gave me and it was all I had. I still have it but it is in the disc pile. I should dig it out and go back to it.

Xpress should definitely be on the list, although I give newbies a Diamond. And then usually regret not giving them a Stingray or Stratus instead.

sidewinder.
will force you to work on finesse above all else.
all other drivers will be a breeze.

X Comet.

But if we're going driver: Leopard, Cheetah, Polaris LS, Cyclone, or Gazelle (in baseline, pick which one based on how well they were throwing a midrange).

Ya know, this question is too vague.

First driver for a 7 year old child, an athletic 20 year old, an out of shape 40 year old, all different discs.

Leopard as a first driver moving up to a Valkyrie or Viking once the player has developed decent for and snap.

^Yes. DX Valkyrie is always the correct answer for 1st distance driver.

Depends on players experience and natural abilities. I have started most of my friends (athletic 19-24 year old boys) with X XLs. a touch more stable than a Leopard.
My wife started on a 150 class shark and putter. While she was still playing she could rip a 150's valk well and used a 150's gazelle for control. Eventually she bagged a leopard for turnovers (which as a lefty she learned to throw quite well)
There are a lot of good choices. Having someone to critique your form the first few times out, even if its just reminding you to throw flat, is better than having specifically the best disc.

Latest posts