• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best place to play in Pennsylvania

Which is your favorite course in Pennsylvania?

• Blue Mountain Park Courses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camp Sankanac

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Deer Lakes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Jordan Creek

• Moraime State Park

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Norcamixon State Park

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Tyler State Park

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Knob Hill Park

• IUP College Lodge

• Othe(let me know which course is your favorite)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Iron Hill is nothing like Nockamixon....Nocky is more of a stand and deliver course where Iron Hill has plenty of room for run ups (if you happen to get your disc in the fairway). There is more elevation change in Nocky than Iron Hill as well.

I live and play in PA. There are many good courses in PA that I haven't played yet, but of the PA courses that I've played Nockamixon is the best.

Next time you go to your local course, pay attention to the "bad" baskets -- the "fillers". Nockamixon may only have one of these -- #4, and even it's a fun basket to throw. So many of the courses that I've played Nockamixon's "worst" basket would be their best basket. Would I rather play Idlewild (KY) than Nocky -- yes, but that's because the high-end stuff out-do Nocky's, but not by much. Although Idlewild's #4 is a worse basket than Nockamixon's #4, and Idlewild has another "filler" in #13 (right? -- that's the crappy little tunnel uphill thing that's been moved out of the woods by the tall grass but still is just a basket that you play and wonder "why is THAT here among all these spectacular baskets . . ?")

I've only played the peak course at Blue Mountain and that's just work. The base course is supposed to be "all that" but I haven't had the pleasure yet. If I'm heading north from Philly it's tough to pass up a round at Nockamixon, and if there's time a Nockamixon/Jordan day is borderline nirvana.

With limited time for commuting to a course I spend most of my disc golf hours at the best course within a half-hour of my SE PA house which is Iron Hill, but is Iron Hill the "best" place to play in PA similar to Idlewild (KY) being Ohio's best place to play . .. . ?? Probably not.

Is there anyway if I were from Ohio and had to drive to a course in PA to play would I bother to drive past all the great courses out in western PA to get to Nockamixon? Not a chance -- it's too damned far and the quality of the western PA courses just wouldn't make driving all the way east worth it -- Deer Lakes, Moraine, etc., more than hold their own against our eastern PA courses. I can't wait to get back out there. Last time I played Deer Lakes there were dirt pads .. . .

Is Nockamixon a better place to play than any other place in PA . . . yes. How's that for a short answer gone long?

I have to disagree on #4 being a "filler" hole, it's one of the few, if not the only, true Ace run holes on the course. On another course I might agree with you but when the rest of Nock is brutally punishing you with true Par 4's and 5's this hole serves a purpose of giving you a breather.

Iron Hill is nothing like Nockamixon....Nocky is more of a stand and deliver course where Iron Hill has plenty of room for run ups (if you happen to get your disc in the fairway). There is more elevation change in Nocky than Iron Hill as well.

interesting.

I would say "long and wooded, but not too tightly wooded" for both. I guess you could say nox has more rocks. You can take a short approach on most shots, even with the rocks, as long as you plan your steps.

i vote for nocki because it absolutely blew me away the first time i played. no other course i've played has been like it. quaker's challenge also belongs on this list. it's still new but in a few year it'll be another gem.

I have to disagree on #4 being a "filler" hole, it's one of the few, if not the only, true Ace run holes on the course. On another course I might agree with you but when the rest of Nock is brutally punishing you with true Par 4's and 5's this hole serves a purpose of giving you a breather.

? Doesn't sound like you disagreed with me at all . . . ? Whatever.

Latest posts