• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best practice basket for the $$?

DiscNutt123

Double Eagle Member
I'm gonna start saving for a basket. After a mediocre tournament showing and 3 years of barely any true putting practice, I realized I need a basket to get my putting at a level where I can truly compete in open. I still cashed this weekend, but only because my driving ability is strong. I probably missed 10 puts in the 25'-30' range. That was the difference between last cash and 2nd place. On to my question: what is the best basket for the $$? Should I go all out or stay cheap? I really like the Gateway Bullseye, but it's pricey.

Are you permanently mounting it in the yard? If not, I would look at the Traveler or the Mach Lite. Both will give you a good target area but won't be so heavy as to dissuade you from taking the time to set it up for practice.

Basket cost $69 at Costco, extra set of chains was like $20-something at Home Depot.

Total cost of about $100 and it catches just about the same as the baskets on your local course! It may not be the "best" basket out there, but as far as bang-for-your-buck, I don't see how you can beat it.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 167
This is just me, but if I were good enough to consider myself an Open player, I'd splurge and get a good portable version basket, like a DisCatcher Pro, or Mach III.

Since I'm not Open, of course, I have a M-14, and it works great.

Basket cost $69 at Costco, extra set of chains was like $20-something at Home Depot.

Total cost of about $100 and it catches just about the same as the baskets on your local course! It may not be the "best" basket out there, but as far as bang-for-your-buck, I don't see how you can beat it.

I'm liking this so far. I won't be mounting it in my yard, I'm in an apartment right now.

I just bought the inStep from fleaBay for $75, free shipping. Need to add the inner chains yet. The seller was vminnovations.

I've been very happy with my Discatcher Traveler. I primarily use it in the yard, but it's nice to have the option to pack it in the car and take it with me wherever I'm going.

Also, since you're in an apartment, it has the added benefits of taking up very little space when packed up, and being easy to transport in and out of the building when you want to use it.

I've been very happy with my Discatcher Traveler. I primarily use it in the yard, but it's nice to have the option to pack it in the car and take it with me wherever I'm going.

Also, since you're in an apartment, it has the added benefits of taking up very little space when packed up, and being easy to transport in and out of the building when you want to use it.

And, it also doesn't make as much noise in use. Something your neighbors might appreciate.

I won't be mounting it in my yard, I'm in an apartment right now.

From someone who is in the same situation, I would recommend a collapsible basket over one like the Costco. It gets pretty tedious to carry a 30-40lb basket out every time you want to use it.

For what it's worth, I own one of the InSteps (Costco) and a Ching Chainmaster (32 glorious chains). While the Chainmaster catches better than every other basket I've used, it sucks to lug around everywhere. I also can either take it or my dog in the car. The basket will always lose every time in that situation. My next basket will be a Traveler.

Innova DiscCatcher - had one for about 8 months now. Light, portable, chains are sorta wimpy, but has really paid off as far as seeing improvement in the putting game. It's also a blast to take to the park and set up your own holes!

love my skillshot. well have some hating on it for sure but it catches great, very durable and portable, and it's just slightly smaller so when I get to the coarse they baskets seem huge.

I've got a discatcher sport and a lightning db-5. I've added a set of inner chains to the db-5 and love it. The discatcher catches very well and will be even better with inner chains. I'd say for home practice keeping price in mind the discatcher would be the better choice. Keep an eye out on craigslist and at play it again sports. I've seen new discatchers on cl for $120 and I got a barely used db5 for $80 at Pias that I gave to a buddy. Deals are out there

When they say "Innova DISCatcher Mini Disc Golf Target and Discs"

Are they just talking disc as opposed to Frisbee's?? Or is it actually smaller - sorry if that is a stupid question!

NEVER MIND

Height: 22"

Yea - I feel dumb now!

Last edited:

Attachments

• basket mods.jpg
    basket mods.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 62
  • allen wrench holder.jpg
    allen wrench holder.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 50