• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggestions on my what next

Gentry823

I started going to a field around late December, and started out throwing around 200-230. since then I have managed to get my average around 260 but I'm not making much progress.

The disc I'm throwing is the MVP Relay(6,6,-2,1) for my max distance. (I was told to stay away from the big distance drivers. Currently I'm only getting around -1 turn out of it, but that's just part of my lack of power. I was wondering what discs y'all would suggest as the next step up.

My forehand averages around 310. (background in baseball) I am also getting the full -2 turn out of the disc, but my elbow hurts after just 5 or so shots.

I was also looking for a cheap practice basket to practice putting.

I am probably going to post a video of my form for tips later this week as I don't have a video yet.

I started going to a field around late December, and started out throwing around 200-230. since then I have managed to get my average around 260 but I'm not making much progress.

The disc I'm throwing is the MVP Relay(6,6,-2,1) for my max distance. (I was told to stay away from the big distance drivers. Currently I'm only getting around -1 turn out of it, but that's just part of my lack of power. I was wondering what discs y'all would suggest as the next step up.

My forehand averages around 310. (background in baseball) I am also getting the full -2 turn out of the disc, but my elbow hurts after just 5 or so shots.

I am probably going to post a video of my form for tips later this week as I don't have a video yet.

Welcome!

The form critique thread (shout out to Sidewinder22, navel, drk_evns, Socradeez, flashblast, Salto, jupiterboy) has saved my body and dramatically improved my distance and accuracy. Definitely recommend getting tips there. The chatter tends to be more technical than other resources, which I preferred.

Not sure what price range you have in mind for the basket. I think there are some threads in the Equipment forum you might check.

I'm not sure there's really a next "step" at this point in terms of discs. You're throwing the disc speed that seems pretty appropriate for your arm, and a disc understable enough to get a full flight out of. Going from 230-260 might bump you up to a 7 speed or something, but the difference there is negligible, particularly if you're not getting full turn from the Relay.

If you like MVP/Axiom, you could try a Crave. A 6.5 speed that flies a little faster than the speed rating IMO. That's a disc that a lot of people can throw very far and that many people love the feel/flight of. Alternatively you can go up to something like 9 speeds even though your arm isn't really that fast yet. Something like a Gstar Valkyrie...flippy for most folks but probably a straight/overstable flyer for you. I just don't see a lot of benefit to going from a 6 speed to a 7 speed to an 8 speed...none of them are going to fly THAT differently in terms of speed rating. I certainly wouldn't make a 9 speed your new main driver...but it can be nice to have that disc that's faster than you can throw to see progress in a different way.

I only dabble with the MVP stuff but generally I've found there are better discs from other manufacturers if you are looking for easy distance.

While I'm not absolutely suggesting a different disc is going to magically make you better I will suggest a couple of molds with crazy glide that will eat up distance with little effort.

Latitude 64 Diamond- definitely touchy if you try and mash on it but a smooth throw just carries forever. If you don't like the light weights they aren't too hard to find in the 170+ range.

Westside Hatchet- glide for days. Takes power better than the Diamond but still a little touchy and hates any kind of head wind.

Dynamic Discs Escape- one of my favorites. Covers ground like a much faster disc and always seems to go farther than you think it would.

Honorable mention to the Latitude 64 River. It's another disc that just wants to stay in the air and cruise even at lower speeds.

I second the Diamond. I had no idea they came in heavier weights but I recommend throwing a light one for now. as Ray said, you can't mash it; try throwing it at 80%

I've been playing for about 1.5 years. I threw almost exclusively backhand the first 6 months, then developed some shoulder issues and my orthopedic doc suggested I throw mainly forehand for a while. So I went forehand only for about 6 months except for putting, and I've slowly been working backhand back into my game over the last 6 months. All that to say my backhand isn't much better than yours, but my forehand has developed really well. I played baseball for a decade (25 years ago).

As far as backhand, your Relay is probably fine, but I've actually struggled a bit with the shallow rim on mine. My best backhand drivers right now are a Proton Lift and pretty much any Roadrunner (I have them in Champion, Barsby Star, and Halo). I'm getting them out to around 280' average and can stretch that to a bit over 300 on a good pull. Those would be my suggestions for your next step discs.

Forehand, I was getting up around 400 for a while, but I've regressed to around 360 the past few months between the cold weather and some form adjustments I'm trying to make. I drive 95% forehand and often play multiple rounds in a day on the weekend. I rarely have anything more than a bit of understandable and manageable soreness. If you're having elbow pain, I would look at a couple of things:

1. Late elbow cock. I'm pretty sure there's a thread about that on here somewhere, and I know @Sidewinder22 (aka Seabass22) has some pictures, possibly videos that illustrate the problem. Are you shoving the elbow forward to try and exaggerate leading with the elbow? I see it quite a bit on the course. Your shoulder leads the elbow, elbow leads the wrist, and wrist leads the hand and disc throughout the entire forward motion. If that isn't happening naturally, then forcing it by cocking the elbow later in the swing can cause issues.

2. Are you trying to pin the elbow close to your body? Don't. The whole keep the elbow in advice is garbage. It limits your distance and engages the arm muscles. You don't want that. You want a loose arm up until the hit, just like backhand.

3. Are you cranking over the top of overstable discs or are you throwing flat or hyzer releases using stable/understable discs? If I try to crank overstable stuff over and throw anyhyzer flex lines too much, that's when I might start to feel it in my elbow a bit. There are times when that shot shape is called for, but I wouldn't lean on that shot very much. In general, use something stable, but not overstable (Volt, Thunderbird, Teebird are some of my favorites) and keep your wrist below your elbow and your elbow below your shoulder. If you really want to ease up on the strain, learn to lightly hyzer flip understable drivers like Roadrunners, Sidewinders, or Impulses.

Last edited:
I haven't tried all the discs suggested there except the River and Crave.

The River was one of my first discs. I recently bagged it again and realized I liked it even more now and especially in the woods. It's super shapeable and "honest" to your throws. I found it scales pretty well between 250-350' power if you don't torque the snot out of it. IMO it's a great learning bridge between neutral mids and drivers.

The Crave is still one of the more unique fairways I've tried. It seems to fly super neutral over a noticeably wide range of speed. It does seem to go faster and farther than I expected from a "6.5" speed. I find it a little thin in my hand and didn't try it until more recently. But it was one of the first discs where I audibly said "wow" the first time I got some speed behind it.

I'd agree that maybe the river or others in that ballpark as mentioned are fun to try out if you're jonesing for discs to try.

A piece of advice I was given long ago. When seeking distance, throw your drivers against your putters. If they are performing pretty much equally, you probably have form (nose angle) issues.

As for discs, I'm the wrong guy to be giving advice. Everything I throw is way out of vogue and I don't bother to keep up with newer stuff.

Lots of great advice here. I won't try to give any form critique as I am also pretty new. In terms of discs, I can tell you I have never found the relay great to throw. It seems slower and less glide than it's numbers. If you are looking for a great disc at your arm speed to help get distance and be consistent I would do the
1) mvp servo
2) axiom crave
3) latitude explorer

All three are pretty similar. The explorer has a slightly deeper rim, which I enjoy.
The servo and the explorer are super resistant to turn without being particularly overstable. Basically Lazer beam straight with a consistent gentle fade. The crave is a little more touchy and turns over more easily than the other two. The servo and explorer are probably my two favorite fairway drivers to throw as they seem to overperform and defy physics to my advantage.

I'm late to the party. But... Leopard!!! I mean, do they still make Pro Leopards? If so, get one. DX is fine too but can get really flippy really fast.

If you can throw 300+ forehand I would bet your backhand issue is form and most likely nose up. Particularly you mentioned not getting the turn on a slow disc.

I like Ray's disc selections. The hatchet is one of the best moderate speed and glide for days discs made imo.

Moderate speed meaning how fast you throw it, not the rating. Just throw it smooth and it should flip up and give you a full flight.

Not sure what you consider cheap, but I spent $150 on Amazon for a MVP Black Hole Pro, and I love it. I can hardly tell it apart from baskets at local courses. Maybe watch for sales - on Prime Day I think they dropped it to $119 - too bad I bought mine a month or so before that. I only throw 175-225', and I get my best distance from light weight discs, but faster than your Relay…. Lat 64 Diamond 158g is my most reliable, but so far I max around 200' with it. Innova Mamba, 146g, thrown on a slight to medium hyzer, gets me out to 225', but thrown flat, it flips right and down into a roller. Also still working on getting consistency, but I can get 225' with a light weight Star Tern, and a MVP Fission Wave. They are all discs I found recommended, that in light weights, can help get more distance for slower arms/women/beginners. You would likely want a bit heavier than what I use. Also, pretty sure they won't be good for windy days. Good luck.