• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Breaking a bad habit: Letting go of the disc while driving

simes549

Bogey Member
A recent view from Overthrow called Still Can't throw 200ft really hit home. While my internet Distance is well over 7,000 feet, my practice and course distance is under 250', more like 225' to be honest. Josh said in his video what he sees in form videos a lot and I realized, not for the first time, that "Yeah, I'm letting go of the disc" and not really getting or feeling snap because of it. Now my issue is I have been playing this way for too long, and now I am trying to break the habit. Any tips or suggestions to help me break this nasty, distance eating habit? In practicing this weekend I find I can manage to not open my may maybe 50% of the time, but if I think, "Don't let go this time," I let go.

A recent view from Overthrow called Still Can't throw 200ft really hit home. While my internet Distance is well over 7,000 feet, my practice and course distance is under 250', more like 225' to be honest. Josh said in his video what he sees in form videos a lot and I realized, not for the first time, that "Yeah, I'm letting go of the disc" and not really getting or feeling snap because of it. Now my issue is I have been playing this way for too long, and now I am trying to break the habit. Any tips or suggestions to help me break this nasty, distance eating habit? In practicing this weekend I find I can manage to not open my may maybe 50% of the time, but if I think, "Don't let go this time," I let go.

There is just a fundamental shift required here, not simply a mental cue to hold on :)

Have you played around with the drill in this video?

Try not to overthink it. If you are more comfortable adding a bit more of a backswing action to get some power into it, that is fine, but do concentrate on not opening up and generating a spot in space where you are attempting to snap the disc.

Thanks, I have not seen that but will try that out later today.
Nice! Let us know how it goes. Others might have better recommendations.

I still remember it being kind of weird to expect the disc to rip out of my hand as a concept, but once you know what it means, its literally impossible to not have it rip out.

I've found it helpful to think about keeping the hand closed. This sounds silly, but if you think "don't open the hand" it's much harder than focusing on what a closed hand feels like. It's better to focus on your fingers being pulled into the palm or pulling the rim of the disc into your palm for most people. "Don't open my hand" is a bit of an intangible cue for your brain.

While I learned a lot about throwing hammers, textbooks, weight plates, balls, etc., I sometimes forget to add in that bunch:

Learn to focus on "don't open the hand" when you do practice swings. If you accelerate practice swings faster and faster, eventually the disc will 'eject' out of your hand as it overwhelms your grip. Don't let it. Add momentum. It will eject again. Don't let it. This becomes your throw as you learn to aim and tempo it.

That was an important part of learning for me and many others. Learning to use that effect as part of your move goes a long way.

Big Wiggins "don't open the hand" practice swing speed.
T8Sq6LF.gif

Becomes Big Wiggins boom sauce when the momentum goes up:
j1MGgiQ.gif

If you do this with your entire body like you could with a two-handed with a golf club, you might have trouble hanging onto the disc at first. That is one basis of throwing for power...

FpeFm9t.gif
:

Last edited:
Any thoughts on why that works? Especially testable ones?
Mine? Maybe something like:

Tests
Throw a hammer trying to throw it straight down a base line or similar straight landmark as far as you can by opening your hand to release it. Then throw the same hammer leveraging it out from the pocket resisting the release with pressure coming through the thumb. Tens of feet of difference in my case. Many people struggle to throw hammers and mine still isn't perfect so not sure what that really establishes unless you already buy "hammer theory."

Do same with disc. Compare with flight results and/or Techdisc. ~10 mph difference in my case. I obtain powerful nose down flight "swinging upward nose down" with resistive/nonrelease, and a nearly uncontrollable, floppier, non-nose-coming-around-or-down kind of flight with "opening" at the end of the whip. Not sure what N=1 really establishes in general.

More directly, get EMG contractile timecourses in forearm and other stuff kinesiologists would need to establish and compare resistive action + leverage timecourses across objects vs. open-hand actions on objects. Do on amateurs & pros so it's not just one person's opinion or data.

Why it works: man, I wish I really knew. I wrote a very classically "Brychanusing" post here to try and put into words what I can only feel and try to compare to mechanisms in other contexts, so actual tests would be nice. I have a couple specific biomechanical points in there plus some little motion experiments. I don't think it's all "wrong" but it's hard to know for sure what is "right" without more info. I also continue to mention posture frequently because understanding grips and how they convert forces without the rest of the body and chain would look really strange if you tried to do it with a baseball pitcher or batter. The grips and the flow of forces that work in a little leaguer just figuring out who to put down a single are probably different than the grips and the flow of forces that hit 400' bombs off 100mph pitches. Testable speculation, of course.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Hoping to be tactful, but... that sounds a little more like trying to convince me (or you). I am okay with accepting it as GRAS (generally recognized as true.)

I can't think of another sport where throwing an object requires you to hang on to it harder. A baseball rolls off your fingers and is being pushed at the last point of contact. A disc is being pulled back towards you if it is ripping out, so you are applying a force that is opposite the direction of travel. That doesn't mean I don't believe it works, it just seems to demand more explanation. (Oh, and just why doesn't this work for a forehand again?)

My naive assumption up to this point has been that as soon as I get mechanics working better, the disc will go fast enough to rip out. This is a bit of a paradigm shift, in that now we're told we should ensure it rips out first. "The disc has to rip out of your hand" is considerably different from "you have to make sure you let the disc rip out of your hand." Like channelling Eugene Herrigel.

Rain on the way, going to dash to the soccer field and play with this.

I can't think of another sport where throwing an object requires you to hang on to it harder. A baseball rolls off your fingers and is being pushed at the last point of contact. A disc is being pulled back towards you if it is ripping out, so you are applying a force that is opposite the direction of travel. That doesn't mean I don't believe it works, it just seems to demand more explanation. (Oh, and just why doesn't this work for a forehand again?)
You've actually written the answer here I believe.

Throwing sports that I can think of ALL push from behind the object in question at the last point of contact.

It's the same with a forehand since we are able to push it forward via the inside of the rim; the rim becomes the seams of the baseball. We are effectively pushing from behind the last point of contact. Sports that utilize that push as the last point of contact are doing so from the trailing arm which more efficiently utilize stretch mechanics in which case loose muscles are more stretchy.

For the disc golf backhand we are
1) pulling from in front of the object at the last point of contact and
2) using the lead shoulder

This would be similar to snapping a towel on the backhand side or throwing a baseball with your hand in front of it (like a yo-yo).

Snapping a towel you would either never think of letting go of the handle or if you did the towel would whip much less quickly.

With the baseball being thrown from the position of holding a yo-yo you can imagine
1) how you would much more easily lose grip on it before getting to the hit and
2) how when you snap your hand back toward you with the yo-yo you can increase the spin (and thus achieve the coveted "walk the dog" trick).

In the case of being literally as loose as possible on the backhand you would just collapse the pocket and put the arm in an intrinsically weak position.

I hope my oversimplified analogies make some sense.

Thanks.
Hoping to be tactful, but... that sounds a little more like trying to convince me (or you). I am okay with accepting it as GRAS (generally recognized as true.)

My naive assumption up to this point has been that as soon as I get mechanics working better, the disc will go fast enough to rip out. This is a bit of a paradigm shift, in that now we're told we should ensure it rips out first. "The disc has to rip out of your hand" is considerably different from "you have to make sure you let the disc rip out of your hand." Like channelling Eugene Herrigel.

I sympathize with this being kind of weird :)

On the other hand, it honestly sounds like your confusion is actually an understanding! I think some people confuse the concept of 'not actively releasing/opening' with...death gripping the disc. You are correct to point out that a baseball would never be thrown with a death grip, and neither will a disc.

The key to this whole thing is leveraging the right part of the disc, and doing it powerfully. I am trying to think of ways to describe it with words that might help, and its challenging.

Its a super simple concept in the end, so...just hold a disc with your grip. Hold the disc out in front of you, where your grip is on the 3'oclock side. If you grab the disc with your left hand at 12 o'clock and try to pry the disc out in a way where your pinky, then ring, then middle finger lose their power, how does that go? If you grab it with your left hand at about the 7 o'clock and try though, pretty easy to free it from those fingers eh?

That is pretty much what you want to figure out imo. Create the leverage on that side of the disc with enough acceleration and you will not have to let go.

Thanks.

Hopefully neither kind of convincing at the top there (but I appreciate it when you call it out and sorry if it came across poorly in any way). I was just trying to offer a few tests, some N=1 firsthand testing paired with subjective experience I can't really see on camera, and some bio-hand waving trying to find words for what I think I happening but I'm not entirely sure. This is one of those areas where my curiosity is higher than my instructiveness around DGCR so I apologize since I am aware that it kind of muddies any "learning nuggets" people come to DGCR for. I'll try to clarify a little here (while admitting I currently have a limit to how clear I can be in words).

I would definitely clarify and not say what I was trying to describe was a "pull back" so much as just a way to describe the way the muscularizartion unfolds in the move and the interaction of masses etc. When you are holding onto something swinging or throwing it different motions all have some kind of tension/resistance/pressure patterns. So it's more that flow I am attempting to more fully understand.

I agree/I'm not thoroughly fond of the "ripping out" phrase for some of the reasons you're raising and am trying to back off that a bit. Leveraging/pounding/pulling around/swinging out all describe something like what I am talking about.

The hammer "solved" this problem for me, and didn't really work more dramatically until a lot of other work on my posture and chain. But is that the way it always works? How close is it across players? Dunno. I suspect more similarities than not, but remain curious. Hand 20 touring pros hammers and do they all "get it"?

I sympathize with your Herrigel comment. In general I have now found so many ways to break the chain, and in some sense you just need what happens at the end of the move to work as well as everything else for the maximum yields. Maybe a couple of my nuggets/ahas below will help.

Any of the most effective hammer-y backhand moves I have myself used are just... stranger than other thrown moves (and work in context of posture and sequence) as we get into below:

You've actually written the answer here I believe.

Throwing sports that I can think of ALL push from behind the object in question at the last point of contact.

It's the same with a forehand since we are able to push it forward via the inside of the rim; the rim becomes the seams of the baseball. We are effectively pushing from behind the last point of contact. Sports that utilize that push as the last point of contact are doing so from the trailing arm which more efficiently utilize stretch mechanics in which case loose muscles are more stretchy.

For the disc golf backhand we are
1) pulling from in front of the object at the last point of contact and
2) using the lead shoulder

This would be similar to snapping a towel on the backhand side or throwing a baseball with your hand in front of it (like a yo-yo).

Snapping a towel you would either never think of letting go of the handle or if you did the towel would whip much less quickly.

With the baseball being thrown from the position of holding a yo-yo you can imagine
1) how you would much more easily lose grip on it before getting to the hit and
2) how when you snap your hand back toward you with the yo-yo you can increase the spin (and thus achieve the coveted "walk the dog" trick).

In the case of being literally as loose as possible on the backhand you would just collapse the pocket and put the arm in an intrinsically weak position.

I hope my oversimplified analogies make some sense.
I would generally agree with this. Would tease that you and I have discussed a couple fundamentally different approaches to the sequence and emphasis among coaches. Still a few things worth saying/studying there IMHO.

I sympathize with this being kind of weird :)

On the other hand, it honestly sounds like your confusion is actually an understanding! I think some people confuse the concept of 'not actively releasing/opening' with...death gripping the disc. You are correct to point out that a baseball would never be thrown with a death grip, and neither will a disc.

The key to this whole thing is leveraging the right part of the disc, and doing it powerfully. I am trying to think of ways to describe it with words that might help, and its challenging.

Its a super simple concept in the end, so...just hold a disc with your grip. Hold the disc out in front of you, where your grip is on the 3'oclock side. If you grab the disc with your left hand at 12 o'clock and try to pry the disc out in a way where your pinky, then ring, then middle finger lose their power, how does that go? If you grab it with your left hand at about the 7 o'clock and try though, pretty easy to free it from those fingers eh?

That is pretty much what you want to figure out imo. Create the leverage on that side of the disc with enough acceleration and you will not have to let go.

Thank you for additional sympathy on the weirdness. That's basically why I'm frustrated trying to describe it. It's effin weird, dude, which is why I'm annoyed I can't write a "complete" account or how it works. But it somehow works and that's where you and I meet on the "throw other stuff to figure out what they have in common" theory, at least in the personal growth.

On that note, I had two "just do it" stories.

1. The first one was frankly kind of upsetting since I work so much harder on my backhand. I was alarmed when I did a bunch of full body club exercises for a couple months then could immediately throw a competent tomahawk and thumber farther more easily and accurately than I ever had before. No detailed shift analysis, no Brychanusing posts,[COLOR=var(--text)] nothing. You barely heard me say anything about it until now because my body went "aha!" immediately. I'm sure I could look at film and find stuff to pick at, but I didn't even bother because I got the gist in exactly one try. It never became intellectually very interesting to me because I didn't need it to learn, and after I felt how it worked I was like "yeah, that's probably something like how overhand pitching works." Just needed to do a lot of something else that made sense to my body first.[/COLOR]

2. Backhand "hammertime" aha that I suddenly remembered and I'm glad I did. I had been dealing with a version of "too loose" like Josh mentioned that I call "floppy wrist syndrome." Around that time I started doing the Blake T hammer pound drills for the very end of the move. I was throwing a 200' hole. On my first shot I had floppy wrist syndrome. Got to the hole, but I was there to dispel floppy wrist so I threw again. Second shot I just tried to make it the Comet feel exactly like the Blake drill. Sent the Comet 100' long and turning to the right (which incidentally stacks up with the ~10mph I measured later). After that I just started trying to do it over and over in standstills, upshots, and putts until not doing it felt awful and weak, and the results spoke for themselves. Translating it to the additional movement in X-step is related to more failures points in the chain, but always works the same way on the fastest shots. I have had only a small handful of true large "ahas" in backhand like that. The rest have all been huge amounts of work.

So practically speaking I might not bother trying to say more than what you said so nicely, RB:

"The key to this whole thing is leveraging the right part of the disc, and doing it powerfully. I am trying to think of ways to describe it with words that might help, and its challenging."

Coaching: I don't bother talking about most of this. People either seem to get the point of the hammer for grip and leveraging out/Blake T style wrist drills or they don't. If they don't, I just move to something else more quickly. Sometimes it works better for them later. Sometimes people never make the connection.

Hammertime and histories/body training: Climo was a carpenter, sidewinder played baseball, RB was a wrestler (plus some climbing I think?), I boxed and had a very developed upper body at my peak training with a very strong grip. Maybe the way those activities kinetically connects to hammers and works for some people is a bit different than other. I tried to help someone figure it out early on after my personal "hammer revelation" and he did all kinds of things with the disc and hammertime that would never occur to my brain or body to do, and none of it worked for him, and we moved on to something else, etc. Josh probably got the connection to rackets way faster than I ever would, etc.

It's weird. Very weird.

Last edited:
I personally find a lot of value in literally swinging a hammer around, but I also think that holding a disc just introduces a layer of stupidity in most of us, for a while.

Is there some way to further fuse those concepts? I was looking in my garage for some kind of small weights i could attach to one side of a disc to basically make it into a hammer with a heavy head, but still be a disc.

The root of this problem is just so silly in the end because... basically any human, if you hand them a hammer and tell them to throw it, they are going to grip the handle and throw the weight of the head. Literally no one is going to grab the head and throw the weight of the handle.

But we do basically exactly that with discs.

I personally find a lot of value in literally swinging a hammer around, but I also think that holding a disc just introduces a layer of stupidity in most of us, for a while.

Is there some way to further fuse those concepts? I was looking in my garage for some kind of small weights i could attach to one side of a disc to basically make it into a hammer with a heavy head, but still be a disc.

The root of this problem is just so silly in the end because... basically any human, if you hand them a hammer and tell them to throw it, they are going to grip the handle and throw the weight of the head. Literally no one is going to grab the head and throw the weight of the handle.

But we do basically exactly that with discs.
I love that. I have done some of it on my own (literally tape a couple steel plates to what becomes the nose smashing thru the release) because the TechDisc puts center of mass near the center of disc and I worried about what that reinforces to people. TechDisc is more like "choking up on the handle" a bit. Your idea over exaggerates the nose weight just like a hammer which might break through to people struggling with the hammer->disc transfer. I'm curious if this works for other people.

Summary image: all I "know" is that when my disc nose comes around like GGs into the release point like the hammer head striking through at the same exact point and feels kinda the "same," I get my fastest, lowest effort, nose down "swinging upward nose down" throws w/ 10mph more speed potential. Any time my grip drifts or sucks I just go back to retraining this and it gets better quickly now.

I bet if measured the weighted edge disc would work the "same."

1000010407.png

What grip are you using? If you are power-gripping the disc, that is probably a big part of your problem. I haven't ever used that grip and I still throw over 330 regularly at 61 years old. Try a pinch/modified fan grip. I only use 3 fingers and I don't jam the disc into my palm. This also improves the spin on the disc. The first thing I teach is GRIP. Firm, but not too tight. Someone should be able to knock the disc out of your hand with a nice smack. If it falls out of your hand with barely a touch, it's too loose. If they hit it hard it doesn't fall out of your hand, it's too tight.

Oh nice, now I can bring in something from the @disc-golf-neil pro thread that's been on my mind. Bolded part for emphasis. We'd have to try it, but my guess is if we tried Bonehead's test, Jake's disc would remain firmly in his hand. Mason's might fall out of his hand (at least at the start of the move). Not sure if Tamm is in between based on the discription.
If you prefer to watch / listen I recorded most of this in video form:

Part 1 of 2:

Grip

1. Power grip driver disc alignment and knuckle flexion / extension?
    1. Between index and middle finger and down the middle groove of palm with knuckles of back 3 fingers curled
  2. His thumb placement on drivers
    1. Albert a little bit onto the flight plate
    2. Jake on the flight plate but feels rim on side of thumb as he presses into the flight plate.
    3. Connor O'Reilly likes the rim / flight plate line to bisect the thumb
  3. Grip pressure on hard drives: Jake grips it really tight throughout the whole sequence. Not sure about Albert but I think it's pretty tight. Mason Ford uses a fan grip that is initially loose for drives but has surprisingly high spin with it.

As usual all partial speculation here, just curious.*

I always thought there was a little more emphasis on putting "stank" on the disc in Jake's move or an emphasis on "explosiveness" compared to someone like Barela, Tamm, or Mason. Gossage also reminds me of a more "explosive" player and I wonder if his grip is a lot firmer too. I find it easier to "see" in real time since slow motion can kind of mask some of the burst. You can watch Jake throwing with Barela here:

Gossage's move reminds me of Jake's:

Mason's move is still definitely getting some acceleration/strong resistance fully balanced in the plant but the acceleration curve tends to look a bit less abrupt to me:

Tamm is the canonical meat tower of a man and often looks on the smooth-ish end of the spectrum.

*My grip would "pass" Bonehead's test and the grip becomes firmest late in the move. I've experimented with both the "smooth acceleration" model and the "full speed out of backswing+additional acceleration in the plant" model. I guess I'd conclude personally that smooth acceleration has a good speed/effort ratio and I tend to get less hurt. I, like some others, find that the other idea can possibly get more peak speed, but its athletic requirements & maybe wear and tear potential might be higher.

Last edited:
Goose is EXPLOSIVE. I'm sure he has a REALLY firm grip. His snap is so LOUD. Being able to "snap" at all is just a reflection of your hand shape. It's just like a regular finger snap that makes the noise. I can make the sound with an empty hand just by quickly pulling my middle finger to the meat of my thumb. Actual "grip lock" comes from trying to throw HARD and having the muscles in your hand "sympathetically" bear down tighter, which tends to make the disc come out later and therefore way right. Drew Gibson is explosive, too. His throw is so compact it's ridiculous. I "can" throw harder, but I prefer not to hurt this old body. I rarely use more than 80% power. It helps keep me more accurate.

Goose is EXPLOSIVE. I'm sure he has a REALLY firm grip. His snap is so LOUD. Being able to "snap" at all is just a reflection of your hand shape. It's just like a regular finger snap that makes the noise. I can make the sound with an empty hand just by quickly pulling my middle finger to the meat of my thumb. Actual "grip lock" comes from trying to throw HARD and having the muscles in your hand "sympathetically" bear down tighter, which tends to make the disc come out later and therefore way right. Drew Gibson is explosive, too. His throw is so compact it's ridiculous. I "can" throw harder, but I prefer not to hurt this old body. I rarely use more than 80% power. It helps keep me more accurate.

Yeah, I don't throw that fast at all yet most throws I have quite an audible snap compared to most people. Just how you describe with the middle finger. Modified fan grip and long narrow fingers. When I started playing I used a power grip and it never really happened. Switched because my fingers got sore with throwing, possibly due to being torqued funny with their length. Got in the way of my bass playing so I sought out alternate grips and they haven't hurt since.

I think the prevalence of the power grip is why newer players play with such overstable discs. It takes a few degrees of hyzer OFF the disc which makes it easier to flip something all the way over.

I am no expert - 1 year playing this month, and I share your pain. I actually just started working on this, and I think I keep my grip (get it to rip out) about 10% of the time. Ugh. But, if you are up to 50%, you are well on your way. I think if you just keep focusing on it, and seeing the better results, that 50% will keep rising, and you will have it in no time. We are trying to retrain our brain, and it is stubborn!!! I would swear I am trying to not let go of the disc, but my subconscious mind is so used to doing it, it reaches a certain point, and automatically opens on me. I guess I essentially trained it for one year to do that, so…. Not easy to retrain. But, you are getting it. I WILL GET IT!!! Good luck, and hang in there. Rather, hang on (to it) there!

Update: My son and I together spent an hour doing drives, him just working on not releasing the disc, and me focused on that primarily, plus a bit on hip swivel with it (he already had decent hip swivel). We broke for lunch, then played 27 holes. I estimate we both stopped releasing the disc over half of the time, maybe 3/4 of the time, and I would say we added 20-30' average to our throws. I went from 250' average, 275' on rare best bombs, to reaching multiple greens, 280-290', several times. We are sorting out discing down on a couple of shorter holes. It was an amazing change. We are looking forward to getting this down, and then hopefully in a month or, getting another lesson and seeing what coach has for us to work on next!!! I am 55 and will never be turning pro. I figured if I can throw 300' with reasonable accuracy, that would get my game to a level I would be very happy with - lots of birdie tries, should be able to play most courses at par or below - it doesn't feel that far away any more!!! Oh, and that much practice, an hour of drives and 27 holes afterwards - it was great, but too much! We both had aching feet, shoulders, back, and hands when done, and it is the next day and my hands are still completely exhausted and achy!

Last edited: