• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Thumber Disc

Indeed it should, anyone have any thumber aces?

Had a Thumber ace playing the course blind on a 250ft uphill shot at a glow tourney once with a Glow Flattop Firebird. NO skip or bouce fell straight in

Yea I think the Ace I want the most now is a Roller ace but it will never happen :rolleyes:

Favorites I've seen people use in light weights are Eagle X, Flick 150 and Dragon for short thumbers, the more beat up the dragon gets the more turns it will make.

Longer distance Firebird, XL, XXX

Personally I'm not a distance thrower with a thumber so I stick to Firebird 170g, Stalker 165 for a wide cut back to the left (LH), Nuke and Nuke SS, based on their occupancy in my bag for other roles. I'm really happy with the Nuke SS, it's a great backhand disc I can fingerhammer it, thumber for a straight tight turn or get a full turn and a half like a dragon only longer.

flat top XXX... are the way to go. I'm pretty sure they are the first runs. they are hard to come by though.

Had a Thumber ace playing the course blind on a 250ft uphill shot at a glow tourney once with a Glow Flattop Firebird. NO skip or bouce fell straight in

I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

Pat would be one of the first people I ask about thumbers.

I bounced in a thumber on hole 26 at Mclelland Park with my 168 Z FLick. I have hit metal many many times but one finally stuck. :)

I almost exclusively use my 11x KC Whippet. I have been throwing it for almost all thumbers for 4+ years now, so it is quite beat. I pretty much only throw thumbers on shots less than 180' or so, and so I don't really need my disc to be super fast. I am not really a connoisseur of the shot though, I mostly just use it to get out of trouble or control distance.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

Pat would be one of the first people I ask about thumbers.

I know them although I don't throw them as much these days. Been trying to get my sidearm and backhand better thus I've stoped throwing my 300fter's. Still throw them once in awhile for control.

I've never tried the XXX I may have to do that. Although I'm guessing just like the speed demon and Nuke OS it will be just another Firebird.

I know them although I don't throw them as much these days. Been trying to get my sidearm and backhand better thus I've stoped throwing my 300fter's. Still throw them once in awhile for control.

I've never tried the XXX I may have to do that. Although I'm guessing just like the speed demon and Nuke OS it will be just another Firebird.

Xxx plus 20ft

The one you choose to throw for the shot. Different disc take different flight paths. You can manipulate them to do different things but sticking to one disc would be far less effective then learning how other disc fly as well.

^^this guy. Everyone is going to tell you to throw way overstable plastic but the thing about that is overstable discs take alot longer to pan out then come back. Throw something in the middle stablity range first then move up to more overstable discs. Go like surge/wraith then onto pred/friechicken/whippet. 0.02

I get almost 30 feet more out of the xxx then all the special firefirds, I've been been handed. I sure would like to watch the skilled Special Firebird guy get another 30 feet with out working any harder. Sometime I'm so greatful for only playing the last few years because I don't have these special discs that limit my options. I just want to learn what works best for my game while I read and try what is working for other people.

Prodiscus premium respecti is slightly slower turning than xXx. it has lots of potential for heavy armed throwers. I use also teerex, xxx and halo. For fast rotating thumber i use sidewinder. It doesnt need that much space for barrel roll.

^^this guy. Everyone is going to tell you to throw way overstable plastic but the thing about that is overstable discs take alot longer to pan out then come back. Throw something in the middle stablity range first then move up to more overstable discs. Go like surge/wraith then onto pred/friechicken/whippet. 0.02

Agreed, I'm sorry when I think of best thumber disc I immediately think Distance. I started out using a 165 roadrunner. Now my thumber lineup is Firebird for Big D, Banshee for quizenberries(Crumpism, It's like a Sidearm thumber), a beast for tight lines and a Buzz for upshot/pancake(try this with any mid don't throw it hard and start it with a little / angle it will flaten and slide. Good for 100ft and in.)

it's all about the shot you are trying to create. You can manipulate a disc to do some crazy stuff when you mix release points with different discs and get yourself outta trouble. Hell I have a buddy who thubs a stingray cause he knows what it's gonna do. Just know the Bigger D/overstable discs are going to have a long slow pan where as the less stable discs will flip quicker and die out which still has uses.

Last edited:
I find I get the best distance with the Condor. That beast was made for the thumber.

tumblr_ll4at1e1bb1qbmlzq.jpg