• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Breaking Bad Timing Habit

Well I did go out and throw some discs, but I tried to keep it super simple - let my backswing draw me back, and keep my eye on the disc the whole time. I think I was a little too leaned forward (need more hinge at the hip?), and I was pulling a lot of the throws off to the right, but it definitely felt better to not have my head leading the rest of my body in the forward swing. It did feel very different, so I hope I got a bit warmer!

Much better!

You need to either stride front foot:

1. further targetward/north and land toes first - plantar flexed to resist against targetward momentum.

or

2. further perpendicular/west like elephant walk/figure 8, land heel first then toes and then go into reverse walk plantar flexing plant foot moving pressure back toward heel.

3. do not combine 1+2 striding into diagonal NW direction.

Your pressure is staying too much in your heel the entire time and not moving across the foot like a walk or reverse walk changing direction with plantar flexion. Note how you remain on your front heel after pivoting, should only pivot quick about 90 degrees to face target and go back to toes.

Nice, one of the things I was wondering about was how to bridge the gap from this to an x-step, but it looks like the sort of hershyzer-y one step drill Shawn demonstrates shows how to do just that. Thanks!

The throw is an athletic move--particularly when you incorporate the X step. You are vertical. I think that's some of what SW is talking about when he says weight is on your heels.

attachment.php

I have to reiterate this right here. A proper, well executed and positioned brace is the most important part of the throw. I see all sorts of variability in the upper body of professionals, but everyone from the waist down braces just like Eagle does right here. I would focus 100% on figuring this out, it's that important.

That bracing position isn't just unique to discgolf. Slow mo and see for yourself in other sports, like baseball swings, hockey slap shots, golf swings, boxing punches, javelin throws, hell many more I'm not thinking of, they all do this as well. Head positioned between the legs, behind front foot, braced down. It's the secret sauce to get power in many, many athletic movements.

If you think Drew Gibson has a strong brace, you should see Mike Tyson brace when he throws an uppercut, it's pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Much better!

You need to either stride front foot:

1. further targetward/north and land toes first - plantar flexed to resist against targetward momentum.

or

2. further perpendicular/west like elephant walk/figure 8, land heel first then toes and then go into reverse walk plantar flexing plant foot moving pressure back toward heel.

3. do not combine 1+2 striding into diagonal NW direction.

Your pressure is staying too much in your heel the entire time and not moving across the foot like a walk or reverse walk changing direction with plantar flexion. Note how you remain on your front heel after pivoting, should only pivot quick about 90 degrees to face target and go back to toes.

Alright, was able to get out for some more tosses, and focused on doing the two drills Shawn talks about in that video. I felt like I still had problems with planting heel first and then spinning out on my heel, though I worked on it over the session and I think it improved a little. I also struggled a bit throughout with posture; I wound up sort of leaned over top of the brace a lot. Generally, things also just look a little herky jerky, not super fluid.
I also had some weird issues at first with not putting enough spin on the disc? Maybe it was just wobble, but from the rate of wobble it also just sort of looked like not enough spin. I'm not really sure why that would be, I don't normally do anything active to spin the disc or anything like that. Towards the end I started trying to put a bit more effort into the throws, and then they started flying better.
I don't think I did the drills perfect, but especially with that feet together drill I did get a good sense of having to "catch" myself with my plant, which I've never been able to get before. And looking at the disc through the swing still felt like a big difference-maker, feels so much better to throw when my head isn't leading my body.

Looking a lot better. You still turn your head back before you start your backswing which I don't think helps.

Looking a lot better. You still turn your head back before you start your backswing which I don't think helps.

Yeah, true, I see I was cheating a bit with the early head turn. I think I'm gonna keep working these drills until they look better, but any tips/drills for eventually moving from feet together drill to full x-step? It feels so different (in a good way) that it's hard to imagine how I would approach a full on x-step while maintaining this feeling, and I don't want to just go right back into bad habits.

Yeah, true, I see I was cheating a bit with the early head turn. I think I'm gonna keep working these drills until they look better, but any tips/drills for eventually moving from feet together drill to full x-step? It feels so different (in a good way) that it's hard to imagine how I would approach a full on x-step while maintaining this feeling, and I don't want to just go right back into bad habits.
Start from Hershyzer with feet crossed over and butt facing target. I really don't like start feet together.

Trying to get some work done on balance during x step. I was thinking mainly about trying to get more of a lateral push/extension from my right leg, and then trying to extend my left leg, shift from behind and make first contact with my toes.

After watching the first clip I tried again while taking a smaller step, so my foot was more underneath me - it made the last step feel less balanced and less in control, and made me instinctively take a wider last step, but I'm not sure if any of those things are good or bad. Anyway, here's video!

After a few weeks of my throws getting worse and worse as my body got more and more tense, today I decided to try to throw out all preconceptions of what having a "loose arm" meant, and go for even looser. I think I may have gotten somewhere with it? It felt very weird, and like my lower body was doing way more work than before to get not all that much distance, but it also felt pretty easy on my arm - and I think the distance issue might have partly been that I didn't figure out how to grip the disc through release while trying to keep my arm loose.

Warming up:

Softer throw:

Harder throw:

So in addition to my other woes I'm an awful putter, and for a while now I've been trying to figure out what Heimburg does with his push putt. The most bothersome thing for me was that he seems to follow through into internal rotation, almost like the finish of a forehand. I tried and tried, but it never used to make any sense; the only thing I ever had any success with was popping the disc out from internal to external rotation, finishing palm up.

Well tonight I think I finally stumbled into a feel for what he does, which is great, but I'm still curious what on earth is going on here.

On the one hand, these felt so natural, like my arm was moving the way it wanted to. And I was really winging these things with minimal effort. On the other hand, I had to turn my brain off so as not to have to convince myself the disc would even come out at all. It felt like my hand was going "over top" of the disc right to left, rather than spinning it clockwise - and every time up until tonight that I've tried, the result has literally been the disc flipping end over end sideways.

I don't know if this is something that everyone else knows about, or if this is just one approach of many, or somewhere in between, but I'm mainly just curious how this works, as it's a whole new feel from any way I've ever thrown a frisbee before.

I've been working on the loose arm standstill for a few weeks, currently focusing on trying not to turn back too early and trying to stay inside my posture, keeping my hips in front of my shoulders in the backswing. It seems like I have a tendency to tip over my plant leg, and I'm not totally sure what to do differently to avoid that.

Is it a matter of starting to resist earlier, with my plant leg? It seems like when I tip it's because I plant with a bent front knee, and my back knee still straight. I know I'm also often planting heel to toe instead of toe to heel, so maybe that's part of it.

I'm also noticing I'm having a tough time throwing level shots, they all want to release at like 30-40 degrees. I can see it happening in the video, my body aligning in a way that can't help but shoot the disc up - but again I'm not sure what to change.

Yeah, you look really flat footed/dorsiflexed and collapse the front hip/tip over, and open up. I'm pushing into the ground a lot more from the balls/instep/plantar flexion and staying closed with body while I've sent the back edge of the disc to target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

attachment.php

giphy.gif

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 1.10.56 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 1.10.56 AM copy.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 73
Looks to me like you're trying to push off the back foot really late - I've done this before and that lead to a bunch of sky hyzers for me.

I think planting so flat footed is probably a big contributor. Just try some short one step stuff without a disc and focus on pointing your toes so you go toe -> heel in the plant. Then work on toe down -> gas pedal off back leg -> shift into can crush

what was suggested to myself and really helped, im not sure if its already bee posted

try staggering your stance at the start.

sdfsdf.jpg

to get familiar with the movement now that your legs are staggered would be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m30s

the feeling during the peak of the backswing can be felt via
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=6m5s
i believe tension in the left outside of the hip is what we are going for. that might mean we are good and coiled up

you also might be tipping over your plant leg because you are leaning towards the basket too much + your plant leg doesnt move towards the basket much. a combo of those two and your cog is too far forward as a result. from the power of posture video your spine aligns with your plant leg when it swings away from the basket and then towards the basket

Yeah, you look really flat footed/dorsiflexed and collapse the front hip/tip over, and open up. I'm pushing into the ground a lot more from the balls/instep/plantar flexion and staying closed with body while I've sent the back edge of the disc to target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

attachment.php

giphy.gif

Bush122 said:
Looks to me like you're trying to push off the back foot really late - I've done this before and that lead to a bunch of sky hyzers for me.

I think planting so flat footed is probably a big contributor. Just try some short one step stuff without a disc and focus on pointing your toes so you go toe -> heel in the plant. Then work on toe down -> gas pedal off back leg -> shift into can crush

Yeah, that makes sense. It's so difficult for me to get the hang of the toe to heel thing standstill. In an x-step, for some reason, I always land toe first - maybe just because it's more dynamic. But then there are a whole bunch of other issues. Thanks!

lostDoughnut said:
what was suggested to myself and really helped, im not sure if its already bee posted

try staggering your stance at the start.

Attachment 76127

to get familiar with the movement now that your legs are staggered would be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m30s

the feeling during the peak of the backswing can be felt via
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=6m5s
i believe tension in the left outside of the hip is what we are going for. that might mean we are good and coiled up

you also might be tipping over your plant leg because you are leaning towards the basket too much + your plant leg doesnt move towards the basket much. a combo of those two and your cog is too far forward as a result. from the power of posture video your spine aligns with your plant leg when it swings away from the basket and then towards the basket

Thanks, yeah it's interesting it's a lot more comfortable for me to stagger like that and go heel to toe, I think because that's pretty much how you throw in ultimate. Trying to learn how to do it the other way has been the problem!

Still chipping away at getting the standstill right, feel like I'm learning new things, but still probably have a ways to go. I was really focusing on kicking the can, then doing the battering ram - both of which are pretty different feelings to the way I was previously trying to throw.

This is pretty representative of what things were looking like yesterday - I was finally throwing level, instead of skying everything straight up, but every throw felt like a "whiff", like I felt no build up of disc resistance and my arm was moving at the same speed as the disc. It didn't hurt, like will sometimes happen, just felt like things were out of sync somehow. I do notice that my weight seems to be a little tipped back as I try to kick forward? Seems like maybe I need to let myself fall forward just a hair more to get my hips more level, before I kick the can? I'm trying to not collapse on my front leg like I do in my previous post, and instead rock my hips forward into the plant, but it looks like I'm sort of just launching my hips up from the start, instead of letting them rock back fully first. That's my best guess at least. Thanks!

Latest posts