• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodysseus: Building up from the bottom.

Brodysseus

* Ace Member *
So starting a couple of months ago, I disced down to just my Aviars and have slowly been trying out molds and adding them in (Truths were the first addition). I want to build a complete but simple bag starting with my putters and moving up to drivers. This thread will document what I add in and what I am trying out. You can recommend molds that complement my current discs or what you think my next additions should be.

Distances:
Putters- ~225'
Mids- ~250-275'
Fairways- ~275-300'

In the Bag:
Aviar: 175 DX x2
Truth: 178 Lucid x2

Trying out:
Envy: 170 Neutron
Hornet: 178 Z

Potential Later Additions
FD: 166 C-Line, 175 D-Line
Raptor: 175 Armorflex

So, fairways are a little ways off and I'm ironing out the utility putters/mids. Any suggestions for what I should be trying out in the lower speed ranges (speed 6 or less).?

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're working on form? If that's the case I would say start throwing the Comet.

Have you thrown the Relay? It's could fit into your bag as the versatile speed 6-7-ish fairway, that's understable, but also capable of hyzers. And even though it has a narrow rim, I bet you could throw it 300' or more.

(Not sure if this would overlap with the FD though)

I'm assuming you're working on form? If that's the case I would say start throwing the Comet.

Random follow up: Saw that you've been digging the Underworld. Mind giving me your thoughts on it. Think it could be a good US fairway addition?

Have you thrown the Relay? It's could fit into your bag as the versatile speed 6-7-ish fairway, that's understable, but also capable of hyzers. And even though it has a narrow rim, I bet you could throw it 300' or more.

(Not sure if this would overlap with the FD though)

I'm not to worried about overlapping the FDs... I would be concerned that they might overlap with the Truth some. Because the truth is definitely a Neutral to Stable mid/fairway hybrid for me. How understable are they? Anything I add in the speed 6 range would need to be pretty far to one side of the stability spectrum.

The Relay is, by any measure, an understable disc. It will definitely be on that end of the spectrum for you. It gives a nice S pattern flight, sort of a Leopard that zooms.

Underworld will overlap with the FD, particularly a D-line. I used to throw Underworlds, now I roll with a 172 S-line FD.

I'd try out the US Dyanmic Mid, I can't remember the name (evidence maybe? Can't recall), or Discraft's Meteor. If that's one of the newer Truths then it should be pretty straight, so an understable complement would be worth it. Or you can just learn angles too :D

I'd honestly go ahead and buy a FD if I was you, maybe a 166-170 S line. It should be sufficiently longer than your mids to where you can use it as a distance disc and grow into it.

Underworld will overlap with the FD, particularly a D-line. I used to throw Underworlds, now I roll with a 172 S-line FD.

I'd try out the US Dyanmic Mid, I can't remember the name (evidence maybe? Can't recall), or Discraft's Meteor. If that's one of the newer Truths then it should be pretty straight, so an understable complement would be worth it. Or you can just learn angles too :D

I'd honestly go ahead and buy a FD if I was you, maybe a 166-170 S line. It should be sufficiently longer than your mids to where you can use it as a distance disc and grow into it.

Thanks for the input. I already own the 2 C-Line and 2 D-Line FDs. FDs are the early front runner for workhorse fairway but I'm trying to nail down my PnAs and mids before working drivers back in. I've been toying with adding an understable mid but I'd want it on the slower end up of the spectrum.

Oh and for the distances: Those are my backhand distances, take off about 15-25 ft for forehand.

I've been toying with adding an understable mid but I'd want it on the slower end up of the spectrum.

Comet? Someone already said this, probably the frontrunner for slower US mid. Maybe, a Fuse or Core, might be faster than you want. What about Stingray (kinda fast) or Cobra. Do you prefer beads?

Comet? Someone already said this, probably the frontrunner for slower US mid. Maybe, a Fuse or Core, might be faster than you want. What about Stingray (kinda fast) or Cobra. Do you prefer beads?

I love the Comet but it's closer to neutral for me. If I was to add something understable at this speed, it'd just be a trick/utility disc. I prefer non-beaded but I'm ok with beads.

Zone!
I think everyone's bag should have a Zone. Best upshot disc ever IMO.

For understable mids, I'd suggest the Daredevil Caribou. I replaced my Comet with it as I found it more forgiving for backhands and more comfortable for touch forehands. I also tried out a Stringray, Meteor and Mako but the Caribou has been my favorite.

Last edited:
I love the Comet but it's closer to neutral for me. If I was to add something understable at this speed, it'd just be a trick/utility disc. I prefer non-beaded but I'm ok with beads.

I'm at a loss for speed 3/4 US with no bead. Does anyone make one?

Envy has definitely made the bag for now, not sure if it is sig worthy yet. Hornet is promising. Going to start re-trying out the FDs today I think.

Started working the C-FDs back in, still love them. They're laser beams.

Question for you all: My favorite control driver before the rebuild was my Champ SL. Workable but reliable, long enough but not super glidey. I could flip it up from a slight hyzer BH or FH, have it ride straight, and finish with a small but useful fade. But I don't want to count on OOP plastic for a critical spot in my bag. What would be a good replacement?

Verdict for OS mid, very versatile disc and will always come back left for you, even in the wind, also a great FH and OH disc. Claymore for a neutral mid. Both speed 5. Also, as was mentioned and you seconded, Comet.

Started working the C-FDs back in, still love them. They're laser beams.

Question for you all: My favorite control driver before the rebuild was my Champ SL. Workable but reliable, long enough but not super glidey. I could flip it up from a slight hyzer BH or FH, have it ride straight, and finish with a small but useful fade. But I don't want to count on OOP plastic for a critical spot in my bag. What would be a good replacement?

I would say either a Beast or an Orc (I lean towards Orc) from the Innova side. Maybe even an Villain from the Lat64 brand.

I'm enjoying following this well-thought bag adventure.

Update:

In the Bag:
Aviar: 175 DX x2
Envy: 169 Neutron
Truth: 178 Lucid x2
FD: 166 C-Line x2

Trying out:
Hornet: 178 Z
FD: 175 D-Line

On Deck
Discs I own that I'm going to try out
Raptor: 175 Armor Flex
SL: 175 Champ (Love this disc, just really want to move away from OOP plastic)
Daedalus: 168 Champ (Way down the road, but had some decent results with it BH and great results FH in the field recently)

On My Radar
Discs I might buy to try out
SL Replacement- Northman, CD, Surge SS, Rogue

I would definitely recommend a CD2 over a CD, but that's all personal preference. My CD2s are thrown for most drives in the Michigan woods. Such great control. The CD was great, but slightly more overstable and overlapped PDs for me. FD is always a great choice, as well.

I see you're a RDG fan (as we all are) have you tried a Tyrant? They are PHENOMENAL aggressive fairway drivers. Best description is Teebird meets Banshee. The Raptor was a little too OS for my liking and just couldn't kick the Sexton Firebirds out of my OS Fairway slot, but the Tyrant is a freaking beast! One of my favorite molds of all time instantly.

Cheers.