• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Careful out there chaps

As I have said before, and this is especially true in public parks, "Only disc golfers see fairways. Everyone else just sees a park."

Thanks for this reminder about perspective. I'm taking that quote with me, and I'm sharing it with new people I introduce to our game.

As the OP I feel duty bound to contribute to this great debate that I brought to the table!

I had my 6 year old at my local course (Mooney Grove Championship) which is a public course, has paths that are OB on the fairways of basket 1, 2 and I think 13 and 17 and the players (small DG community) are mostly decent guys who will actually look ahead before hucking and chucking, getting to the point I had her there on the busiest day (Saturday around lunchtime) and the guys behind me were pretty good and decent about avoiding my kid when she stepped out in the wrong place or was just being a kid. Eventually we let them play ahead, but the point of what I am saying is my kid does not have the sense to look for discs that are flying near her head and communication goes a long way. Despite being 300 feet away hand and voice signals work a lot.

As for this lady, I think it was wrong place at wrong time and I normally hate big settlements from "Better Call Saul" type lawyers but this might force a redesign and a rethink that may actually benefit the sport in the local area. I get why they put DG courses in public areas and in some cases it is budget, but would they put a DG course of Manhattan Beach where they play Volleyball?

It's really unfortunate this happened,I feel bad for the lady and her family and whatever hardships they had to Endure. And probably this course either should not be in this park, or should be redesigned greatly.

However, I don't believe that removing disco from public parks is the answer. We just need to install them and parks that are not going to have interference with other amenities. The course is I play the most are Oregon Park in Marietta and white oak park in Dallas Georgia. Both of these are very nice courses that have very little interaction with any other park amenities.

On Oregon Park the only place where you could interfere with another activity is one thing pavilion they could only be hit with an extremely errant throw, that would also have to be quite powerful.

White oak there's really no place for any kids anything, it's pretty good design.

Places like wills Park however are examples of ones that could be redesigned to you space better, or perhaps should move some pavilions to make it safer.

Quit cramming DG courses into tiny spaces! You need 16 square acres to make a very good and safe course. You don't have it, find another spot.

One of the benefits of DG is that you can install a course on an unsafe for other activities flood plain, old landfill or extremely hilly area. Most counties own ao.

Every time I play the back 9 at Hoover/Hambrick I'm afraid something like this could happen. People like to park in the lot near hole #14 and walk the course backwards. I can't tell you how many times I've been about to throw and noticed somebody walking towards me. Half the time they have earbuds in and don't hear me yelling at them. There are plenty of trees and blind spots, it's just a matter of time until a clueless pedestrian gets hit.

However, I don't believe that removing disco from public parks is the answer.

chicago_a_discots_576.jpg

^ that's a classic! Disco Demolition Night, Tigers v Chisox!

You can put up signs to warn the public, and that will help some. You can put up signs to tell disc golfers to use good sense, and that will help some.

But the people who need to get this message are the designers, mostly eager locals, campaigning to put courses where they don't belong.....and, on top of that, doing it poorly.
So very worth saying repeatedly.

As for this lady, I think it was wrong place at wrong time and I normally hate big settlements from "Better Call Saul" type lawyers but this might force a redesign and a rethink that may actually benefit the sport in the local area. I get why they put DG courses in public areas and in some cases it is budget, but would they put a DG course of Manhattan Beach where they play Volleyball?

I think the course was not re-designed, but closed.

I also believe it's a matter of degree. 100% safety, or shielding disc golf from the rest of the public, is a pretty high standard. Lots of courses are going to continue where there is modest risk, and we can hope for the best. It's the high-risk courses that are the biggest issue.

As for this lady, I think it was wrong place at wrong time

Several published reports state that the woman was sitting or standing in or near the amphitheatre when she was struck.

None of the holes in the official, city-approved layout play over or through the amphitheatre, so if the published reports are correct, that strongly implies that the thrower was playing one of the alternate layouts. If that's the case, this wasn't a case of "wrong place, wrong time"; it's an irresponsible idiot playing an indefensible layout designed by a morally incompetent moron.

Several published reports state that the woman was sitting or standing in or near the amphitheatre when she was struck.

None of the holes in the official, city-approved layout play over or through the amphitheatre, so if the published reports are correct, that strongly implies that the thrower was playing one of the alternate layouts. If that's the case, this wasn't a case of "wrong place, wrong time"; it's an irresponsible idiot playing an indefensible layout designed by a morally incompetent moron.

That made me LOL! Tell me how you really feel!

(P.S. If thats the case I feel likewise)

tee 3 to hole 3 plays directly across the ampitheater. bad design but looks like it was intended that way.

i think the problem that we're running into is that there's a fair few disc golfers who just want a course in their local park, no matter how stupid it is to put one there.

Just looked at the course. Holy crap. It is purpose-built to hurt people. Teepads that start on paths AND play in line with the same paths... Shots that force you to throw over benches, picnic tables, AND an amphitheater... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The reason that I never played it despite multiple invites from players whose company I enjoy.

tee 3 to hole 3 plays directly across the ampitheater. bad design but looks like it was intended that way.

Look at the course map again. Better yet, overlay the map on a Google Earth*map of the park. Unless there was an undocumented major redesign to hole 3, tee 3 is a good 60+ feet NORTH of the amphitheater, and the fairway points AWAY FROM the amphitheater.

Look at the course map again. Better yet, overlay the map on a Google Earth*map of the park. Unless there was an undocumented major redesign to hole 3, tee 3 is a good 60+ feet NORTH of the amphitheater, and the fairway points AWAY FROM the amphitheater.

There are multiple layouts, one of which features a shot directly across the amphitheater.

There are multiple layouts, one of which features a shot directly across the amphitheater.

Of course there are. No one's disputing that. I linked them in my first post upthread and in the post VictorB responded to. (And, for the record, all three published alternate layouts have holes that play over the amphitheatre: hole 2--and possibly 5--on the Jewel layout, holes 2 and 3 on the "Green" layout, and hole 6 on the Blue" layout.)

VictorB's post implies that hole 3 in the city-approved layout does play over the amphitheatre. It doesn't. That's why I told him to look again.

sure, the direct path from "tee 3" to "basket 3" doesn't travel directly over the amphitheater. But the amphiteater is mid-fairway on the left side. You know, the spot where every chucker's drive with a Nuke OS lands.

this is the single dumbest course I have ever seen. I'm surprised it took as long as it did for someone to get nailed. Good riddance to a terrible park.

Latest posts