• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Careful out there chaps

Come to think it I had a similar incident at the Troy course in Visalia where you couls have an alternate sport of "hit the hobo" because of the layout of 12 holes in such a small park and the vacinity of playing thru someones living space.

sure, the direct path from "tee 3" to "basket 3" doesn't travel directly over the amphitheater. But the amphiteater is mid-fairway on the left side. You know, the spot where every chucker's drive with a Nuke OS lands.

"Mid-fairway on the left side" =/= "directly over."

Yea, our local Mayor decided the Disc Golf Course should not have a side trail for walking, hiking or biking.

Maybe he got wind of the incident in CA and figured it best.

Either way, this is great news and we can get back to building a disc golf course and stop tiptoeing around the multi use let's hold hands and all go down together group :hfive::hfive::hfive::thmbup:

Honestly, if we looked at every existing course in the directory and checked them for safety concerns similar to the one that precipitated the Polliwog incident, I'd say a scary portion of them would have to be considered for removal, and many more yet would have to be drastically altered to make them reasonably safe.

That being said, with all of these such courses in existence, I'm surprised that we don't have more incidents than we do. Yeah, all it takes is one, but perhaps the fact that we don't see that one very often is testament that we're a bit more considerate about sharing the parks with other users than we would think.

i think the problem that we're running into is that there's a fair few disc golfers who just want a course in their local park, no matter how stupid it is to put one there.

^ This.

Growth of the sport is great and all that, but we've reached a critical juncture where parks with no space for a course and/or designed by Boy Scouts just do more harm than good.

^ This.

Growth of the sport is great and all that, but we've reached a critical juncture where parks with no space for a course and/or designed by Boy Scouts just do more harm than good.

My local pitch and putt, Eagle's Edge, was concocted by Eagle Scouts, and it is the least dangerous place ever.

I live 2 minutes away from this new safety hazard. 9 baskets, walk/jog trail and exercise equipment crammed into a park the size of a postage stamp. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7991

The designer knew the park is small and drew up a safe plan. City contractor did not stick to the plans exactly and they also shoe horned all these trees, plants and exercise stations in the park. Some exercise stations are only feet away from baskets and hidden by plants. The result is an accident waiting to happen. Trees were planted in intended fairways causing more inventive risky lines to be common. So many trees and bushes it is hard to tell when it is safe to throw or when someone is walking through.

I hope if something does happen there the city of Sunrise does not over react and pull this other course that is in a very big park and away from all other stuff.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6630

I recently played the Bill Frederick Park Turkey Lake course and found some people picnicing near the basket on the #4 hole. I had to carefully watch where I threw because of their location in relation to the basket. I can see something like that happening because when those discs get thrown they are moving and they are heavy. I couldn't imagine someone getting hit by one...

My local pitch and putt, Eagle's Edge, was concocted by Eagle Scouts, and it is the least dangerous place ever.

Those scouts wisely consulted with an experienced designer who is a member of the Disc Golf Course Designers group.

Some scouts don't think that is allowed, but it is not only allowed, it is encouraged. Some Eagle review boards will disallow projects where the step of bringing in experts when needed is skipped. Spread the word to any scouts in your own area.