• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Choking up on the disc

Where does the rim of the disc contact your palm?

• On the life line

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Below the life line

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Above the life line

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Sidewinding is my hero

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
this picture changed my grip, and my game, for the better (originally posted elsewhere by i don't know who):

Picture156.jpg

That picture forces a lot of nose down, if you have trouble throwing nose down, it could help you if you can't manipulate your wrist during your throw. If you can consistently throw like that, it shouldn't be bad. But, for those that can manipulate wrist angles during their throw, which is quite easy once you get use to it. This is something what your wrist should look like, and one of the most general places to grip. These pictures show variances in the grip, I described. And the variances of the grip described in the first post, which is how Avery grips.

If you're having trouble throwing nose down with the disc in the Lifeline/crease of the hand, you need to start forcing your wrist down to achieve nose down. If you can't, then possible changing your grips "could" work. But, you need to learn to force the wrist down, as it will benefit you more.

9a4uo5.jpg

Wrist down orientation

hsvpu0.jpg

Open hand with disc showing disc with wrist orientation

qntwgk.jpg

Closed grip with disc in the "lifeline"/crease of the hand as shown above.

j8ck1x.jpg

And, this is how Avery grips, and is the grip discussed in the first post with the disc in the "line" just below the "lifeline"/crease of the hand.

Last edited:
this picture changed my grip, and my game, for the better (originally posted elsewhere by i don't know who):

Picture156.jpg

Thats where I figure choking up would be seeing as you are above your hand seem. I want to try this as it seems uncomfortable for me when I am forcing my wrist flat.

I finally got to try moving the disc above the hand seem. Just held a driver with it but the closest thing to a driver I actually used was a Leopard for the course I was at. Less "sharp" edged discs that I used (mostly Wizard, Ion and Core a couple of times) were a bit harder because they dont "dig in" to there own spot; you have to hold them there, but I liked the flights I was getting a lot. I think it is getting the nose down better for me.

boo on FH.:thmbdown:

i keep the disc wedged really high on my thumb muscle. then again, im all about having my wrist and forearm pretty much over the disc to maximize snap. i think its more of a style thing than anything else. :\

Riding Dirtbikes, BMX, and Quads since I was a kid has helped. :x But, the forearms do help, grip strength is key.

But, the grip with the red disc does force more nose down, yes there can be too much nose down. You'll end up throwing into the dirt, or forcing yourself to throw 15-20' high to get anything close to 300'. Being able to manipulate the disc as it leaves your hand, (how people do short putting nose down) will make a difference with the orientations I showed.

Latest posts