• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cincinnati 10/17-10/19

How much time do you have? Those are the best courses but there are many others worth playing.
Gulley is north of KI and a fun course. Armco is new and on the level of the four you mentioned. Not far from KI also. Monroe is in that area, a fun 24 hole course.

I haven't played Armco yet, but I agree with everything else JayDub said.

If you want to bag a good 9er, Mason Sports Complex north of Cincy, or South Fork in Florence, KY would be fun additions.

By that time in Oct. I'm thinking I should have Hidden Ridge back into playing shape if you want to venture a bit further south for a pretty new private course. Shooting to have it back fully mowed and trimmed before the end of Sept.

Mason Sports Park is also minutes from Kings Island so you could start your day with nine fun holes and still be at KI pretty early.

Not in my opinion. Tough course and not bad.
Belmont would be a good course to play.

Staying in Dayton one night. Is Handyman Ace Hardware DGC a must play?

Adding to what JayDub said about Handyman: I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

It's definitely a well-designed challenging course, but I thought it lacked fun factor. Glad I played it, but it was more of a beat down than a good time. I've played other courses that I thought were as challenging, but more "enjoyable."

Belmont makes for a "friendlier" round.

By that time in Oct. I'm thinking I should have Hidden Ridge back into playing shape if you want to venture a bit further south for a pretty new private course. Shooting to have it back fully mowed and trimmed before the end of Sept.

Hidden Ridge is looking pretty good right now. It's rugged for sure (mostly natural pads, still a few temp baskets, etc.), but if you enjoy secluded private courses feel free to hit me up.

Mason Sports Park is also minutes from Kings Island so you could start your day with nine fun holes and still be at KI pretty early.

That would be a fantastic way to start the day. One of my all time favorite 9 holers. South Fork Park in Florence, KY would be a fun 9'er to add if you wanted to bag an extra course between Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge.

I love Ace Handy Man its a great course if you lile woods. Some really fun shots. Belmont is fun but waaay overrated. Sycamore trails would be good or Armco Park if not too far out of your way

Looking at Montgomery Inn for ribs. Worth it?

Montgomery Inn Boathouse is a solid slice of Cincinnati. A bit on the fancier side, cloth napkins, etc.

If you're after "real" barbecue style grub and not just ribs I'd head over to Eli's BarBQ. Corn bread is the bomb, killer mac n cheese, awesome smoked turkey and pulled pork, great wings. They don't sell beer, but you can actually BYOB.

Its pretty pricey from what I recall but MI does have the best ribs I've ever had in a restaurant... but that doesn't count a rundown BBQ joint on the side of the road. Its hard to beat a good roadside joint though.;)

Last edited:
Its pretty pricey from I recall but MI does have the best ribs I've ever had in a restaurant... but that doesn't count a rundown BBQ joint on the side of the road. Its hard to beat a good roadside BBQ joint though.;)

And that's my issue with MI, the cost. Once I got a smoker and started doing my own, and they taste better than MI, and cost WAY less, I haven't been back.

And that's my issue with MI, the cost. Once I got a smoker and started doing my own, and they taste better than MI, and cost WAY less, I haven't been back.

There have been several times where I was at Kroger's trying to talk myself into buying the slab of MI ribs they sell there but just cant justify it when I can buy twice(even 3 times) as many of the store brand...

I can buy three racks of baby backs at Costco, with the back membrane already removed for somewhere around 25-30 bucks. Add the seasoning I like and grill or smoke.

What's a rack at MI go for these days? I just looked (Each includes one side. Order: $23.99, Full slab: $29.99, King slab: $32.99).

Montgomery Inn is definitely a great choice, especially with the experience of the Boathouse, but their sauce is kind of love/hate, and they drown them in it. I would personally recommend Walt's Hitching Post in Ft. Wright, KY (close-ish to Lincoln Ridge) or Art's in Colerain.