• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cincinnati area must play courses

takman

Eagle Member
I'm going to be in Hamilton, OH for a couple of days next month and hope to play a round. What are the must plays? Preferably on the Hamilton (north) side of Cincy.

I'm going to be in Hamilton, OH for a couple of days next month and hope to play a round. What are the must plays? Preferably on the Hamilton (north) side of Cincy.

I'm not all that familiar with the north side of Cincy, but if you can make it there, Mt. Airy, Idlewild, and Lincoln Ridge are all must-plays. Mt. Airy is probably my all-time favorite course. Also, be aware that Idlewild is a long round and will take a few hours.

On the north side of Cincy? Look at Osage Grove in Goshen (NE when you're going to be more NW). Depending on whether or not they're running paintball when you want to play, Cabin Creek is a solid pay to play much nearer to where you'll be. If you're not looking to head across town, this is probably your best bet. Mason Sports Park is a great little nine holer (NE as well) with a decent practice field in the middle of it. If you're willing to come inside 275, Mt. Airy is somewhat close and has a wonderful pro shop on site. Another on the NW side and probably fairly close to Hamilton is the recently redesigned Miami University course in Oxford, OH.

Personally, I'd look at
Osage Grove
Cabin Creek
Oxford
Mason

...in that order

I'm not sure what kind of traffic you're used to, but you should be able to get to any course in the area in an hour. Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild may be close depending on the time of day, but it's pretty easy to navigate the area.

Just FYI -- Cabin Creek can be difficult to access. Osage is definitely the best of the north Cincy area, but is pretty far out in the sticks and is a ways from Hamilton. Airy is definitely the best course in Cincinnati proper, and if you're willing to drive a bit Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge both live up to their hefty ratings.

If you're just looking for some quick, casual golf Millikin Mile is a solid park niner and is right there in Hamilton. William Harbin in Fairfield is a fun open course, but one of those places where the parks department only mows a narrow strip of fairway and leaves the rest of the grass long, which can be a bit of a pain.

Osage Grove
Harbin
Mt Airy
Monroe.
PM me when you're near I'd be Happy to meet up with ya somewhere and play a round or three.

Cabin Creek is only open on holidays, so unless you have some special connection that's likely out.

Although there are a lot of courses in the immediate area, I would suggest:
- Mt. Airy
- Monroe (great short course)
- Twin Creek Black (underrated)
- Osage (Quite tough from the long tees)
- Sycamore Trails

Harbin is closer but is too open for my tastes.

Thanks for the responses. Based on pictures, I'm already sold on Osage Grove, hope there's time to make it there. Miami U may be the choice if our weekend is full. Looking forward to my first Ohio course.

Thanks for the responses. Based on pictures, I'm already sold on Osage Grove, hope there's time to make it there. Miami U may be the choice if our weekend is full. Looking forward to my first Ohio course.

My group ia playing Osage Grove this weekend. The renovations and new layout are amazing they really made a helluva great course.

Monty, if you're in Cincinatti, go play Idlewild.
Not sure how difficult it will be to get there, but make the trip.
(about an hour)
It's like the Castle, but longer, more elevation and tougher.

Last edited:
Monty, if you're in Cincinatti, go play Idlewild.
Not sure how difficult it will be to get there, but make the trip.
(about an hour)
It's like the Castle, but longer, more elevation and tougher.

Yeah Brant, heard great things about Idlewild, but probably won't have time this trip.

Wherever you go, you MUST stop at a Skyline and eat a coney on your first tee. Always ALWAYS carry an extra coney in case you run into a local. They will trade you a decent beer and show you around the course.

But, WHATEVER YOU DO, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT, show up at the course with that Gold Star crap.... Gold Star will get you a bottle of Zima and a whoopin'.

Just got Johnson Hills under my belt last week when we played 2 rounds Monday evening. I'll have to put my thoughts down as it's a pretty fun 9 hole course.

Nevermind. Looks like reviews are still disabled for this course, which is weird, because it's 2 years old already.

Those pics on here are 5 years old, when the course was new. That place looks a lot different now, in a good way. For one thing, there are now long and short concrete tees on every hole.:thmbup: When it opened, it was a mix of long and shorts and only a couple holes had multiple basket locations. Now there are multiple locations on nearly every hole. If you don't have a guide you may have to walk ahead on a few holes to locate them. Several blind holes on the course when playing longs.
Nevermind. Looks like reviews are still disabled for this course, which is weird, because it's 2 years old already.
Pete has it turned off until the back9 gets put in, I think. Which at the time was only supposed to be until the next spring but they had some NIMBY problems.

Last edited:
Wherever you go, you MUST stop at a Skyline and eat a coney on your first tee. Always ALWAYS carry an extra coney in case you run into a local. They will trade you a decent beer and show you around the course.

But, WHATEVER YOU DO, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT, show up at the course with that Gold Star crap.... Gold Star will get you a bottle of Zima and a whoopin'.

Show up with Camp Washington Chili, and you'll be given shots of bourbon.

North side Harbin is pretty fun but you're going to have a lot of shorter, Park style courses. Monroe (I think) is also a fun course up that way, but same park style course. If you can, Mt Airy, Osage Grove, and of course Idlewild are your main big three and are going to be the ones to play. One of my regrets from last summer is not going out to play Osage! Dunham is a pretty fun course with a ton of elevation change, but if you're driving from the North side Airy is going to be the main one to play.

I've played most of the 18-hole courses in Cincinnati. Definitely agree with Osage being one of the best, and you have to do Mt. Airy for sure. I like Harbin, it's close to work, so I play it more than the others.

Just last week, I met up with Sisyphus and played Williamsburg. It's a little further out east, but it's worth the effort. I'd say hit Osage and Williamsburg for a pretty fun day!

FWIW I was at Lincoln Ridge Saturday, and it was in amazing shape. They were clearing and laying mulch for the tournament this weekend.