• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Controlled, glidey distance lineup

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
I used to throw Terns for easy cheater distance but have decided to disc down for a while, work on nose angle and controlled form.

So in building up my new loadout, I figured I'd consult inflight or MST and figure out "OK, what distance driver lineup can I switch to that is appreciably slower (read: narrower rim width) than a Tern, but that also goes appreciably farther/on a lower line than a Teebird without sacrificing too much control?"

Speed 11? Wraiths are too much disc for my present backhand form, and the more flippy, glidey options are still overshadowed by the easy distance and control of Terns I assume.

Speed 10? Never clicked with PDs, and orcs, like wraiths, are still too much disc. The flippier, glidier options are again less attractive here, and I figure something like a Northman nets me no more distance over a slightly slower disc, while sacrificing control.

Speed 9? Here seems to be where the lines of distance and control intersect, giving me slightly more D over a Teebird on lower lines while also not allowing my control take a nose dive. Thunderbirds, valks, champ SWs are good options I think, however they do still fly like fast fairways, not slow distance drivers. More on that below.

Speed 8? There are some interesting options that share the 1.8cm rim width with the Teeb, but these discs typically make me ask "why am I not throwing a teebird or FD right now?"

I would be happy to throw Innova-molded 1.9cm molds for D at this point, and would be willing to try PDs again on the stable/OS side, and Heats on the neutral side.

However, I used to throw a 169g GL Saint and was quite happy with it, as it flew true to numbers for me at the time. I grew frustrated with the trilogy 1.9cm discs because I had a hard time finding an understable complement that I liked, as I did not click with the Fury. I have however recently picked up a TP Hatchet, and while I haven't gotten the chance to throw it yet, I'm thinking I would like to throw high glide trilogy 1.9cm discs for my distance lineup for now.

My question is this - What would be a good US complement to the Hatchet? I may pair saints or escapes plus a thundy with it for more stable options, but would like something that will end right of center more consistently and with control, and at a similar speed.

I presently bag an underworld for US utility, but would like a faster version to mesh with the "slow distance driver" style of the saint and hatchet.

Like I said, for all intents and purposes the Fury is a non-starter - didn't like the bluntness of the rim I guess. Considering the Witness, as it sounds like it's the fastest trilogy version of what I'm looking for. Also could consider a heavy diamond, but what I'm really looking for is a true speed 9.

Right now I've got my sights on the Witness, although it's got a bit of a wonky and shallow rim. I may also look at a heat in X or one click in stability up (ESP or BigZ??), as I understand they rival the Euroglide and could therefore fit in. However. I would not be wild about bagging a 3rd or 4th mold here, and not in trilogy plastic at that.

Best understable complement to a Hatchet? Maybe just roll (pun intended) with an underworld and call it good? Or maybe throw Innova plastic?

I used to throw Terns for easy cheater distance but have decided to disc down for a while, work on nose angle and controlled form.

So in building up my new loadout, I figured I'd consult inflight or MST and figure out "OK, what distance driver lineup can I switch to that is appreciably slower (read: narrower rim width) than a Tern, but that also goes appreciably farther/on a lower line than a Teebird without sacrificing too much control?"

Speed 11? Wraiths are too much disc for my present backhand form, and the more flippy, glidey options are still overshadowed by the easy distance and control of Terns I assume.

Speed 10? Never clicked with PDs, and orcs, like wraiths, are still too much disc. The flippier, glidier options are again less attractive here, and I figure something like a Northman nets me no more distance over a slightly slower disc, while sacrificing control.

Speed 9? Here seems to be where the lines of distance and control intersect, giving me slightly more D over a Teebird on lower lines while also not allowing my control take a nose dive. Thunderbirds, valks, champ SWs are good options I think, however they do still fly like fast fairways, not slow distance drivers. More on that below.

Speed 8? There are some interesting options that share the 1.8cm rim width with the Teeb, but these discs typically make me ask "why am I not throwing a teebird or FD right now?"

I would be happy to throw Innova-molded 1.9cm molds for D at this point, and would be willing to try PDs again on the stable/OS side, and Heats on the neutral side.

However, I used to throw a 169g GL Saint and was quite happy with it, as it flew true to numbers for me at the time. I grew frustrated with the trilogy 1.9cm discs because I had a hard time finding an understable complement that I liked, as I did not click with the Fury. I have however recently picked up a TP Hatchet, and while I haven't gotten the chance to throw it yet, I'm thinking I would like to throw high glide trilogy 1.9cm discs for my distance lineup for now.

My question is this - What would be a good US complement to the Hatchet? I may pair saints or escapes plus a thundy with it for more stable options, but would like something that will end right of center more consistently and with control, and at a similar speed.

I presently bag an underworld for US utility, but would like a faster version to mesh with the "slow distance driver" style of the saint and hatchet.

Like I said, for all intents and purposes the Fury is a non-starter - didn't like the bluntness of the rim I guess. Considering the Witness, as it sounds like it's the fastest trilogy version of what I'm looking for. Also could consider a heavy diamond, but what I'm really looking for is a true speed 9.

Right now I've got my sights on the Witness, although it's got a bit of a wonky and shallow rim. I may also look at a heat in X or one click in stability up (ESP or BigZ??), as I understand they rival the Euroglide and could therefore fit in. However. I would not be wild about bagging a 3rd or 4th mold here, and not in trilogy plastic at that.

Best understable complement to a Hatchet? Maybe just roll (pun intended) with an underworld and call it good? Or maybe throw Innova plastic?

I disced down a while ago. Felon for OS, escape for neutral to US, convict for flip up to fade shots and a Hatchet also. I'm currently looking to replace everything but the Felon. I was pretty hyped about DD plastic in the beginning and I still like it I just don't know if it's the best option for me, it's not super consistent through different conditions.

How far do you typically throw some of the common discs of these types? On flat or slight hyzer golf releases. How much distance gain would you get with a Tern over Teebird class of discs?

Kinda got lost in all that, but Hatchets are really understable. If you have one that is not, it soon will be. Same for Witness.

Oh, and get a Falchion.

Just a few ideas:

Falchion, speed 9: tons of glide, good distance. Very much like a stable Champ Sidewinder.

Star Sidewinder, speed 9: this is what the Valkyrie wishes it was in terms of better glide.

AvengerSS, speed 9-10: understable, good distance, comfortable in the hand. I have this in Ti and Z plastics; Ti a bit more stable than Z.

Mamba, speed 11: Innova's contribution to understability. Goes far when thrown properly.

The Roadrunner straight up bombed for me when I bagged it. I got similar distance from it compared to the Tern actually, up to 350ft for me. Similar flight pattern as well, perhaps slightly less fade. This was a Star Roadrunner

How far do you typically throw some of the common discs of these types? On flat or slight hyzer golf releases. How much distance gain would you get with a Tern over Teebird class of discs?

On the golf lines you mentioned, in a controlled manner, pushing 300 with a star teeb, 300+ with a DX teeb. Terns net me an extra 30-50ft in this manner. I do not threaten 400' at this time.

Speed 9s go 20-30ft farther than teebs.

Kinda got lost in all that, but Hatchets are really understable. If you have one that is not, it soon will be. Same for Witness.

Oh, and get a Falchion.

Sorry, you guys have now been subjected to a stream of consciousness. This type of thing is somewhat cathartic for me tho, so thanks? :hfive:

I'd suggest Valk. Pro or Gstar.
It doesn't fly like a fairway driver.

So you're thinking go with a valk in a less stable plastic. I could see that checking out a less stable and less glidey option could make sense, as I could attain the flight path I want without it getting away from me as bad on poor shots.

Just a few ideas:

Falchion, speed 9: tons of glide, good distance. Very much like a stable Champ Sidewinder.

Star Sidewinder, speed 9: this is what the Valkyrie wishes it was in terms of better glide.

AvengerSS, speed 9-10: understable, good distance, comfortable in the hand. I have this in Ti and Z plastics; Ti a bit more stable than Z.

Mamba, speed 11: Innova's contribution to understability. Goes far when thrown properly.

The bit about the Avenger - are these same rim width as the Avenger?

Also can you compare and contrast the Falchion to a Saint? Have Saints, why try a Falchion?

So you're thinking go with a valk in a less stable plastic. I could see that checking out a less stable and less glidey option could make sense, as I could attain the flight path I want without it getting away from me as bad on poor shots.

Valks go far as hell.
In pro or gstar, at your distances, you should probably get a full flight without it being squirrelly at all.
Stick with them and it'll be the disc you break 400 with.

Ignore the 4 glide. Valks glide.

My glidey, distance driver is a Big Z Thrasher (gotta love the dino). It is rather controllable except into a headwind where it will more often than not turn-and-burn. For a slower option, there is the Mantis or an Escape.

The bit about the Avenger - are these same rim width as the Avenger?

Also can you compare and contrast the Falchion to a Saint? Have Saints, why try a Falchion?

I'm not sure about the AvengerSS rim width vs. the Avenger. I'll have to look that up.

I have a Gold Line Saint that I have not thrown in a while. IIRC, it was not nearly as glidey for me as the Falchion, and did not go as far as the Falchion. The Falchion flies like a stable Champion Sidewinder; the Saint flies for me more like a Valkyrie or Viking (YMMV). The Falchion is fun to throw and works well for me when throwing in the fairway (i.e. not off a nice, flat tee pad); I did not have such good results with the Saint.

My glidey, distance driver is a Big Z Thrasher (gotta love the dino). It is rather controllable except into a headwind where it will more often than not turn-and-burn. For a slower option, there is the Mantis or an Escape.

If you (plural) like the Thrasher and you like Valarie Jenkins Doss, get a Val sig disc Thrasher in Z plastic. Good disc, helps out Val. :thmbup:

Valks go far as hell.
In pro or gstar, at your distances, you should probably get a full flight without it being squirrelly at all.
Stick with them and it'll be the disc you break 400 with.

Ignore the 4 glide. Valks glide.

I'll throw a valk lineup in my work bag - thinking...

champ thundy 167g / star valk 170g / pro valk 167g

I'll throw a valk lineup in my work bag - thinking...

champ thundy 167g / star valk 170g / pro valk 167g

Good lineup. My Pro Valk is definitely less overstable than my Star Valks.

(and after reading this thread, I think I'll go dig out my Pro Valk and throw it some.)

Last edited:

How deep are thrashers? I initially wrote them off as an also-ran compared to the Tern but if they weren't so dang shallow they might be worth checking out. PDGA says 1.1cm but you never know.

Sirius OLS has Valk like numbers and I'm pushing them past 320 regularly. I seem to be the only one that throws them but I always have one in the bag.

Latest posts