• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Controlled, glidey distance lineup

On the golf lines you mentioned, in a controlled manner, pushing 300 with a star teeb, 300+ with a DX teeb. Terns net me an extra 30-50ft in this manner. I do not threaten 400' at this time.

Speed 9s go 20-30ft farther than teebs.

Cool, then I would look at the Valk/Sidewinder type discs. I would probably start with a Star Sidewinder and Champ Valk, with the caveat that I haven't thrown a fresh off the shelf Champ Valk for some time.

What I'm getting at though is the Sidewinder should give you anywhere from a -1/2 flight to start and break in from there, to a -2/1 flight when fresh depending on the disc. Champ Sidewinders may start off closer to the -1/2 and be surprisingly stable, which is why I would start with star. They go very far, I definitely recommend the Sidewinder. The Valk I would hope to be more in the -1/2 that you can shape smooth hyzers and even tighter flex distance lines with, but again I'd need confirmation on how stable fresh champ or star Valks are now. You could maybe do an Escape for this slot as well.

If you want a turnover distance shot then Gstar Sidewinders can be extremely fun and long too. I'm at altitude but I throw farther, and they can handle my shots fine so I'd think in your expected distance range they should still be great as well. As long as you like Gstar.

Roadrunners are also very fun to throw. Really there can be overlap between Sidewinder/Roadrunner/Valk depending on the plastic and specific disc. Roadrunners do feel a little different because of the convex lower rim.

The Valk I would hope to be more in the -1/2 that you can shape smooth hyzers and even tighter flex distance lines with, but again I'd need confirmation on how stable fresh champ or star Valks are now.

The fresh Champ Valkyrie I got most recently started out like this.

I'd also recommend a Pro Thunderbird. Great thrower, good distance and control. You can even cycle through them (they break in quickly and nicely) and carry a Champ Thunderbird as a bookend.

Cool, then I would look at the Valk/Sidewinder type discs. I would probably start with a Star Sidewinder and Champ Valk, with the caveat that I haven't thrown a fresh off the shelf Champ Valk for some time.

What I'm getting at though is the Sidewinder should give you anywhere from a -1/2 flight to start and break in from there, to a -2/1 flight when fresh depending on the disc. Champ Sidewinders may start off closer to the -1/2 and be surprisingly stable, which is why I would start with star. They go very far, I definitely recommend the Sidewinder. The Valk I would hope to be more in the -1/2 that you can shape smooth hyzers and even tighter flex distance lines with, but again I'd need confirmation on how stable fresh champ or star Valks are now. You could maybe do an Escape for this slot as well.

If you want a turnover distance shot then Gstar Sidewinders can be extremely fun and long too. I'm at altitude but I throw farther, and they can handle my shots fine so I'd think in your expected distance range they should still be great as well. As long as you like Gstar.

Roadrunners are also very fun to throw. Really there can be overlap between Sidewinder/Roadrunner/Valk depending on the plastic and specific disc. Roadrunners do feel a little different because of the convex lower rim.

Another bonus is when you get better the Roadrunner can be used for a end of flight Roller disc when you throw it hard enough. Stay away from Star Lite or you will have a roller only disc as they are 150 class and lighter.

If you're willing to branch out a bit, a MVP Volt is a fantastic 8/9ish speed disc. I have a 157 fission and a max weight neutron. Lasers with nice fade. The light weight fis reallllly bombs.

The fresh Champ Valkyrie I got most recently started out like this.

I'd also recommend a Pro Thunderbird. Great thrower, good distance and control. You can even cycle through them (they break in quickly and nicely) and carry a Champ Thunderbird as a bookend.

What has been your experience if any with the life cycle of DX thunderbirds? I would hope that the wing of the thunderbird would hold up to tree hits almost as well as that of the DX teebird - that is to say, not perfectly, but decent enough to get a consistent cycle going. Could throw in some pros at the top of the cycle when DX covers the spectrum.

If I were you I'd disc down EXCEPT for Terns. Keep a couple of them in your bag. There really isn't any disc speed 11 or below that will fly as far as a Tern.

The Witness is a poor choice. Its wildly understable and slow. I've thrown them out to 400', but its just not a very good distance driver for big rips. Too flippy.

Valks and Sidewinders are acceptable distance drivers, but you still won't sniff the distance with them that you would with a Tern. A Thrasher would work fine, but might be a bit too stable for you. Thrashers will go well over 400' on big rips.... but they take a lot of arm for that to happen. If you say a Wraith is too much disc, the Thrasher would be too.

If I were you I'd disc down EXCEPT for Terns. Keep a couple of them in your bag. There really isn't any disc speed 11 or below that will fly as far as a Tern.

The Witness is a poor choice. Its wildly understable and slow. I've thrown them out to 400', but its just not a very good distance driver for big rips. Too flippy.

Valks and Sidewinders are acceptable distance drivers, but you still won't sniff the distance with them that you would with a Tern. A Thrasher would work fine, but might be a bit too stable for you. Thrashers will go well over 400' on big rips.... but they take a lot of arm for that to happen. If you say a Wraith is too much disc, the Thrasher would be too.

Will consider bringing a champ tern and maybe a GStar out when appropriate, thanks. Can't say enough good things about the mold.

Just a few ideas:

Falchion, speed 9: tons of glide, good distance. Very much like a stable Champ Sidewinder.

Star Sidewinder, speed 9: this is what the Valkyrie wishes it was in terms of better glide.

AvengerSS, speed 9-10: understable, good distance, comfortable in the hand. I have this in Ti and Z plastics; Ti a bit more stable than Z.

Mamba, speed 11: Innova's contribution to understability. Goes far when thrown properly.

The Mamba is often overlooked. I can't exactly call it a straight or controlled driver, but its exceptionally glidey and long. If you're looking to throw a Mamba far you'll need to hyzerflip it and practice. They can be very, very long discs if you hit them just right. Huge flex shots come fairly easily.

The Mamba is by far Innova's longest speed 11 or below disc. Again, I can't call it controlled distance. If you throw a Mamba poorly it might leave the zip code and be 900' right of your intended target.:D

I agree with those that said Valks. Also, the Lat64 River, at speed 7 and 7 glide has a really far straight flight.

Another good disc is the Express, only sold in Z now and X is hard to find and was slightly understable compared to the neutral flight of the Z and the oop ESP model. Also Heat is not a bad disc it flies from what I have seen like a Roadrunner fly.

On the golf lines you mentioned, in a controlled manner, pushing 300 with a star teeb, 300+ with a DX teeb. Terns net me an extra 30-50ft in this manner. I do not threaten 400' at this time.

Speed 9s go 20-30ft farther than teebs.

We throw about the same distances and I ended up keeping the Flow (speed 11) in my bag as I intended to disc down to speed 9.
A beat in max weight or one below 170g is rather easy distance but with minimal turn.

I actually find it so controllable and predictable that it will kick my Saint in the face as the SE Explorer got it in the groin...

Disc down to three speed 7 and two or three (if you can find a poptop for headwind) Flow. I got a decodye Spark in there to seem cool but that's all my seven drivers.
Last weekends tournament felt great, no disc selection, always knew which one that was most likely to get there (wooded course so I used the Flow on 2 holes, the River on 4 and the SE Explorer on 6).

Last edited:
Having done this very experiment last spring, I had:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 Luster PD (9/10) long hyzers, max d FHs.
171 Champ ThunderBird (9/10) headwind driver, BHs that have to end left
175 Star Sidewinder (8/10) max d BHs, can touch 350'
171 Star FireBird (9/10) headwind FHs, FireBird stuff
175 Champ Flat Top FireBird (9/10) Spikes, FH Rollers, Thumbers, fast and hard fading FHs
173 Lucid Escape (9/10) Tommys, long and straight BHs
172 VIP Stag (9.9/10) I just got this disc but it seems to be very versatile and could replace my Escape and ThunderBird and possibly some of my 7 speeds
170 Champ TeeBird (8/10) tight FHs, 330' and fade
165 Opto River (7/10) anny BHs, hyzeflips
175 Star Leo3 (8/10) more stable River, line shaping
175 Luster FD (8/10) similar to the TeeBird but with less fade and a bit of turn
171 Star Eagle-X (6/10) OS line shaping, can throw it 340 and still end up with fade
175 Champ Eagle-X (9/10) FH line shaping, flex FHs, shows very little turn on a full rip
156 Star Leo (9/10) LH disc, super fun RHBH hyzerflip disc

Mids:
180 Shimmer VRoc3 (9/10) mid that can hold a line, straight control shots
176 Fuzion Verdict (9/10) straight to fade, FHs, hyzer approaches, mid that won't turn
180 Shimmer Roc3 (9/10) mid range drives, main mid
180 McPro Roc3 (7/10) straight mid
171 Champ Roc3 (7/10) back up to both Roc3s and MD3
180 C-MD3 (8/10) fan grip FHs, similar to the Shimmer Roc3 but beadless
175 MFC Gator (9/10) Hyzers, windy putter, Gator stuff

Putters:
171 JK Aviar (6/10) approach putter
175 JK Aviar (7/10) driving putter
171 JK Aviar (5.5/10) main putter
175 GStar Rhyno (San Marino) (8/10) FH putts, hyzer putts, Rhyno stuff, LHFH

I had quite a selection of molds due to throwing both BH and FH, but I could've probably gotten by with far fewer discs than what is posted, the Stag did kick my ThB and Escape, I have only 3 of those discs still in my bag.

This is the link to the whole thread: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127284

What has been your experience if any with the life cycle of DX thunderbirds? I would hope that the wing of the thunderbird would hold up to tree hits almost as well as that of the DX teebird - that is to say, not perfectly, but decent enough to get a consistent cycle going. Could throw in some pros at the top of the cycle when DX covers the spectrum.

Never tried DX Thunderbirds, though it seems like people like a certain batch of them. After cracking a new DX Valkyrie on a tree about 250' away, I decided not to throw any DX higher than speed 7 (because DX Teebirds are great.)

I mean, a champion beast is one of my favorite straight to understable 10 speed discs. Tons of glide.

[/B]

The Mamba is often overlooked. I can't exactly call it a straight or controlled driver, but its exceptionally glidey and long. If you're looking to throw a Mamba far you'll need to hyzerflip it and practice. They can be very, very long discs if you hit them just right. Huge flex shots come fairly easily.

The Mamba is by far Innova's longest speed 11 or below disc. Again, I can't call it controlled distance. If you throw a Mamba poorly it might leave the zip code and be 900' right of your intended target.:D

And the Champs are nowhere near -5.

Latest posts