• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Correcting Low Putts

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
For some reason, my aim is dead on with my putts, but my putt have been low. Its driving me crazy. What can I do to correct this?

i know whats helped me in putting is having a better(full) follow though with your hand, at the end of it, it should almost look like your shaking hands with the basket.

aim higher.

or learn to apex putt. i developed this style to eliminate low putts and to virtually reduce putt length since your target is closer.

low putting can't be helped your sooo doomed now. just aim higher and practice more often it's a feel thing

Stupid putting 101 question.

Should the weight shift be at the beginning of the pitch to initiate it

or

at the end to boost arm speed just before the release of the disc?

Yes, I have read the putting article several times, but I never really saw the specific question I am asking addressed there.

Weight shift shouldn't really happen until you can no longer pitch putt a certain distance with the pitching motion and the tendon bounce of the fingers. So the weight shift either when needed for more distance or for timing will be at the beginning of the pitch.

A less frequently mentioned thing that leads to low putts is such a bonehead mistake that people may not think of it as an obvious tip because it's so self evident once you catch yourself doing it :oops: Leaning too far forwards or not accounting for the downward slope you're standing on or what ever rise the rear leg is on if inline stance is used is perhaps tilting you forwards.

The opposite of not shifting weight forward on drives leaning back having the torso pointing at the sky. Guess where the disc is going then? Doh!

I putt pretty consistently, but sometimes I go through a spell of putting everything right on the front of the basket instead of in. The answer for me is usually that my mechanics broke down somewhere. Once I realize that, identify it, and correct it, the low putting problem goes away.

To help the low putts:

1) Stand a little taller (don't lean over if you are).
2) Don't aim for the basket. Aim for a point which you need to hit midway between you and the basket or at least something much higher than the basket.

I know you can aim for a chain and hit low, but I really believe that it's typically a result of trying to put it in the basket or you're scared you'll miss. Practice should help both.

As for weight shift - it's at the end when you transfer your weight/motion to the disc so that it will fly (for both putting, driving & approaching).

I can pitch 30' (barely) now just keeping all of my weight on my front foot and not trying to use any shift. Do you think I should try to push that distance out further by getting more quickness into my stroke, or start weight-shifting outside of 30?

So far, I have one vote for weight shift at the start of the pitch and one for at the end.

Should I really try to place the weight shift near the beginning or end of the stroke, or should the stroke and weight shift just both be in unison?

I really want to increase the speed of my disc, because at 25 or 30 feet it nearly to or at the fade portion of flight.

Here is another vote for weight shift at the beginning of the putt. However, my putting motion tends to use gradual weight shift throughout the entire stroke. I think the shifting for me helps me to keep my timing and hit the point on the basket/air that I'm aiming for. Depending on the distance I'm going for I'll use either more or less wrist rotation. If I'm going for a 35' putt I'll make sure to keep the wrist loose and try to pop the disc out with enough force to get a good arc. The weight shift has also helped with low putts tremendously.

Midnightbiker said:
For some reason, my aim is dead on with my putts, but my putt have been low. Its driving me crazy. What can I do to correct this?

If you cured the left/right misses, you probably flattened your release angle to make it fly straighter. But now it does not climb up a bit, so you need to aim higher.

At least that's what I went thru last month....

RS39 said:
Midnightbiker said:

If you cured the left/right misses, you probably flattened your release angle to make it fly straighter. But now it does not climb up a bit, so you need to aim higher.

At least that's what I went thru last month....

That's what happened to me last fall. There is another thread on the forum taling about this with "paint" illustrations.

Not being a pitch putter I weight shift at the beginning of the throw. For me it's a natural progression of momentum from the leg push coinciding with the start of the weight shift continuing until the the disc has left the hand. It's really automatic which is great for not having to think of it during the throw. Late weight shift may need to be thought of which deviates from KIS.

Beetard said:
I can pitch 30' (barely) now just keeping all of my weight on my front foot and not trying to use any shift. Do you think I should try to push that distance out further by getting more quickness into my stroke, or start weight-shifting outside of 30?

So far, I have one vote for weight shift at the start of the pitch and one for at the end.

Should I really try to place the weight shift near the beginning or end of the stroke, or should the stroke and weight shift just both be in unison?

I really want to increase the speed of my disc, because at 25 or 30 feet it nearly to or at the fade portion of flight.

#1 priority of not missing low on your putts = committing to the fact that your blow bys will not be as bad as you think.

I would be willing to bet you started putting more nose down. I have often had this problem and have learned to solve it in a variety of forms. You can aim at the back chains on the basket, you can focus on putting level, or you can add bricks underneath your practice basket and keep putting the way you are. I do a mix of all three depending on how I feel. In a round putting at the back chains is the easiest way of correcting the problem. I have trouble revisualizing my line and changing my apex as blake mentioned but this would also solve the problem, I wouldn't change putters down 5 grams because this only masks your problem it doesn't solve it. I believe you problem would disappear for awhile and then return.

Latest posts