• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Coyote Classic 2011 Official Thread: Ventura, California

Had a blast, one of my favorite events of the year. This was my first time playing at Lake Casitas so I can't compare it to previous Coyote events, but compared to other PDGA events I've played, this is definitely in my top 3, and I will be back next year.

Event was well organized, staff and volunteers were awesome, the course was laid out very well, OB lines, flags, spotters, tee signs, water jugs, all the necessary items to run a smooth and successful event! The dinner on Saturday was outstanding, tri-tip, chicken, sausage, salad, garlic bread, beans, best dinner ever at a disc golf event.

The park is amazing and the camping is by far the best place I've been to. So hmm, what to improve on? 30 holes was a lot. I would prefer 3 rounds of 18, doesn't have to be the samer layout, actually I like a little change each round. Thank you all staff, volunteers, locals and everyone else that helped put this event together and all the competitors who made it worthwhile, good memories.

Had a blast, one of my favorite events of the year. This was my first time playing at Lake Casitas so I can't compare it to previous Coyote events, but compared to other PDGA events I've played, this is definitely in my top 3, and I will be back next year.

Event was well organized, staff and volunteers were awesome, the course was laid out very well, OB lines, flags, spotters, tee signs, water jugs, all the necessary items to run a smooth and successful event! The dinner on Saturday was outstanding, tri-tip, chicken, sausage, salad, garlic bread, beans, best dinner ever at a disc golf event.

The park is amazing and the camping is by far the best place I've been to. So hmm, what to improve on? 30 holes was a lot. I would prefer 3 rounds of 18, doesn't have to be the samer layout, actually I like a little change each round. Thank you all staff, volunteers, locals and everyone else that helped put this event together and all the competitors who made it worthwhile, good memories.
Good to hear. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

30 holes is a long day. One of the reasons we've moved to that format the last two years is so people have time after the Saturday round to enjoy each other's company. We have done 3 rounds of 18 in the past and got complaints that about it already being close to dark after the 2nd round.

Who knows what next year will bring?

Thanks for the feedback. How was your round?

I see what your saying about running out of daylight. I think the gathering after round 1 at tourney central, having dinner, and raffle is a good idea. And I would rather have the get-together and play a round of 30, vs. 2 rounds of 18, and no daylight afterwards.

As far as my round, I had fun, it was a rollercoaster ride. Played some holes really well, some not so well (gave up 9 strokes on 4 holes ouch), it was high highes and low lows. But before this I never used a putter to drive. I think I had at least 10 putter drives this weekend so I did add a new element to my game. Can't wait for next year, how do I get on that super secret local pre-registration list??? Can I sign up now for 2012?

Ok, one more thing to improve this tournament. Post the scores!!! Final results should be posted to PDGA within 24 hours (if not sooner).

Also as cards come in, and the scores are checked, another person can update the player's main card and start organizing the 2nd round. 30-45 minutes after the last card comes in, the leaderboard should be posted for all players to see. It would be nice to post results online after each round, but I don't expect it. But at least have the leaderboard posted shortly after the end of the 1st round.

great time..

Thanks for the comments. 30 is pretty grueling.

In 09 Unkl Jesse went with the two course set up with 27 holes each. That was our biggest at 213. The original course was split up into the KOyote and PAYote courses.

That year was amazing! tom the bomb was the TD and unkl jesse was in full character thanks to the open bar that time.. which due to some unfortunate circumstances that night might have not been the best idea for some..

200+ was insanity, but super fun.. no chance for revenge on any holes was tough.

This year the tournament was fun, even without some dangerous cliff/water shots. The ninja grub was just that.. GRUB.. players pack was sick, payout was nice and the weather was amazing!

Maybe next year... those who support the fundraiser would get the chance to pre-register (but make this official to everyone).. that would give those who are supporting and excited a chance to make it in for sure. aside from the registration issues, it was a great time. with some more fundraising, support etc, it would be sweet to see more of the temp holes from 2009 in the course next year.

I had the pleasure to camp near and play the second round the infamous zenbot. great shooting with you bro.. great round..

I also got to witness the glory that is the hot dog cannon... just so you know.. if you touch it, it just might go off in your hands...

Thanks to all those who helped get this running this year. looking forward to next year.

Last edited:
Awesome weekend. BBQ and other peripheral events were lots of fun. Generous volunteering. Good vibe. Zenbot needs to loosen up and have a good time.

We hung out Sunday night and played doubles skins on the old man's course. el vino did flow.

Thanks!

Thought I would share a couple pics:

This is our campsite, right next to tourney central:
299954_212686912131498_100001705729482_565169_389268909_n.jpg

A view of hole 1 from behind the basket with campground in the back:
309037_212686972131492_100001705729482_565170_461917263_n.jpg

Hole 20 during practice before they put the Coyote 2011 chalk:
308625_212687015464821_100001705729482_565171_1585340378_n.jpg

A view of Lake Casitas:
303962_212687095464813_100001705729482_565173_1467406393_n.jpg

Latest posts