• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

Two questions

1) has anyone tried the new supercolor full foil discs? I'm interested to know how they feel.

2) in the big switch one of my favorite molds was cut, the XL. I always liked it as an understable companion paired with the teebird. Losing the XL has caused me to rethink my whole fairway lineup. I specifically liked the feel of the XL. Are any of the new releases similar enough that an old XL player should try one?

Try a Big Z Heat. I am also an old XL player. I preferred the old elite pros. In my opinion, the big Z flies just like them but a touch longer.

Two questions

1) has anyone tried the new supercolor full foil discs? I'm interested to know how they feel.

2) in the big switch one of my favorite molds was cut, the XL. I always liked it as an understable companion paired with the teebird. Losing the XL has caused me to rethink my whole fairway lineup. I specifically liked the feel of the XL. Are any of the new releases similar enough that an old XL player should try one?

I'm still throwing them. I have a small pile, and can still buy them for stock price so. Meh.

If I had to switch I'd probably go to a different brand for that slot. JLS, Patriot, something like that.

I got a big Z nuke mini the other day in a mystery bonus purchase. It's a really nice 15cm-maybe a touch smaller-actual scale model of a nuke... Love it!
I currently throw a lot of Discraft molds but with an attempt to narrow things down a bit.
Molds I love:
Zone and challenger (jawbreaker) two of my three favorite p&a discs
Heat (Elite z) I probably use this control driver way too much but I love it.
Mantis (titanium) my principal thumber disc
Spectra (Supercolor) what? Yeah, I'm sticking up for this guy because mine's a glorious tailwind bomber and seems to roll well too
Crank (ESP) My rhbh speed seems to cap out with this disc, I have one in elite z as well but I love it in esp.
Machete(Z flx) I love it but tennis elbow has kept me from really flicking this monster recently.

Molds I like but am still a touch indecisive on:
Nuke SS (elite z)
Buzzz (elite z, elite x)
Archer (2016 ace race, ESP)
Hornet (feels like ESP)

The nuke ss and my spectra fly very similarly and since I love the spectra, poor nuke ss gets left behind.
As for the buzzz... Man I try and try and try to like this disc because it is so universally adored, but I just don't feel it. My favorite version is a lighter weight elite x... I just can't seem to get a heavier elite z to release correctly.
As for the hornet and archer, the archer is my understable mid, but I'm not really sure why I really need it except for some escape shots, and I really liked the hornet (I recently lost it) but it was less overstable than it used to be so I didn't replace it in kind.
And I also like the discraft bags... The tournament bag can hold my 40oz water bottle and one last discraft love shout out: the 2106 ace race tee-shirt is the most comfortable one I own!

Anybody throwing the Swirly ESP Glo Doss Buzzzes?

Mine isn't Tuna's Wasp overstable but it's definitely "old glow Z" beefy. Very similar to the way my 7yo Z Buzzz was when new (it's still plenty stable).

Sorry for the double.

As for the buzzz... Man I try and try and try to like this disc because it is so universally adored, but I just don't feel it. My favorite version is a lighter weight elite x... I just can't seem to get a heavier elite z to release correctly.

What don't you like about it? What similar discs do you enjoy throwing?

I'm not trying to answer for him, but I may be able to offer some insight by sharing my issues with the mold.

Let me start off by saying that I love the feel of the Buzzz. And when at its intended cruising speed, it's a laser. I always did love that flight. That being said, Buzzzes always felt like they were a bit too speed-reliant, and didn't power down well. They become exponentially more stable the more I powered them down, and it never felt intuitive. Additionally, they seem to be much more nose-angle sensitive, and will stall and fade hard if thrown nose up, or thrown with too much height.

Beaded mids feel much more linear to me in regard to speed-reliant stability, and seem to hold high-lines a bit better without bailing out.

I'm not trying to answer for him, but I may be able to offer some insight by sharing my issues with the mold.

Let me start off by saying that I love the feel of the Buzzz. And when at its intended cruising speed, it's a laser. I always did love that flight. That being said, Buzzzes always felt like they were a bit too speed-reliant, and didn't power down well. They become exponentially more stable the more I powered them down, and it never felt intuitive. Additionally, they seem to be much more nose-angle sensitive, and will stall and fade hard if thrown nose up, or thrown with too much height.

Beaded mids feel much more linear to me in regard to speed-reliant stability, and seem to hold high-lines a bit better without bailing out.

Whatever. The Buzzz is the greatest disc you've ever had the privilege of throwing. I know this because I love the Buzzz and my opinion matters most. Feel free to browse my signature because I only bag the best molds and my incredible 948 rating makes me grand wizard of disc golf.

I don't know! I can't get enough consistency to give a fair explanation; it's just... off for me. I think it's also a matter of courses I play. If I need a tree threader, I use my mako3 or mako (I know, I could use a Discraft comet instead but I'm partial to the mako rim). If I wanted the fade on a midrange, I threw my hornet (until I lost it) and if I just wanted an easy power grip throw beyond my putter's approach distance I'd throw a shark. On the longer end of the buzzz's range, I favor my Heat which is my jack of all trades disc. I can get a decent hyzer flip with this disc and in elite z, it flies straight and true and is generally pretty forgiving.
So yeah, it could just be that in all scenarios where I *could* use a buzzz, I just grab something else first.

...They become exponentially more stable the more I powered them down, and it never felt intuitive. Additionally, they seem to be much more nose-angle sensitive, and will stall and fade hard if thrown nose up, or thrown with too much height.

That's why you'd need to bag the BuzzzSS alongside the Buzzz. Though I've never had any problems powering down a Buzzz, and I throw them nose up all the time, on low floaty lines.

That said, those looking for a mid you need to toss up in the air like a putter to get distance, the Buzzz ain't that. (but neither is a Roc3, Wasp, Truth, etc). The Buzzz is everything else though.

I never said the buzzz can't be thrown nose up, just that it feels more sensitive than the wasp or roc.

Most likely because the buzzz is faster. If you get too nose-up and drop it below it's cruising speed, it will hyzer out. Slower beaded mids allow for more of a speed buffer before they try to hyzer out of a higher line. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm happy that the buzzz works for a lot of you. And I'm happy that the wasp works for me.

So I felt shamed enough to go throw the buzzz this morning and put my finger on it. I went out to the soccer field complex with:
two elite z 173g buzzz
one elite x 167g buzzz
one lucid 169g DD verdict that I got as a potential replacement for my hornet

I could get the x buzzz and the verdict to fly with some amount of precision. The z buzzzes were all over the place which means perhaps my issue is more with the weight/plastic combo than the mold itself. And since my first buzzzes were all "heavy"and in z plastic, it explains why I never took to them sooner. I like z plastic for my drivers, but maybe not for midrange rims?

Good on you for giving Buzzzes a fair shake. They really are singular discs, in my experience. Often imitated, but rarely, if ever duplicated. Depending on what you want out of that slot, there is almost certainly a plastic/weight combo that will fit, within reason. If you have specific questions, there are lots of throwers on here who have experience. Good luck, and happy Buzzzing.

Looking at switching to Forces from Destroyers.

So far so good, but wondering what people use in place of a beat Destroyer while I find/beat in an ESP Force.

I have a few Surge SS's that bomb, but they can get touchy.

Hurricane maybe? What plastic?

If you can get a domey SP Hurricane that might be ok. I throw a 171 SP Hurricane and it's my primary distance driver, not really flippy like a beat disc but has some workable turn, and less fade than any destroyer I've thrown. It's more of a ForceSS I'd say. Also, maybe try a normal surge, they are manageable and go quite far.

Looking at switching to Forces from Destroyers.

So far so good, but wondering what people use in place of a beat Destroyer while I find/beat in an ESP Force.

I have a few Surge SS's that bomb, but they can get touchy.

Hurricane maybe? What plastic?

I really see nothing wrong with keeping a seasoned destroyer in the bag until you beat in a force. It would probably be easier on you than learning the force + another new mold to cover the range of shots your Destroyers currently cover. Otherwise, VictorB's advice sounds about right.

Latest posts