• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dealing with Deer Flies

sidewinder22

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Anybody dealt with deer flies before and got tips on repellent or prevention? These s-o-b's drove me crazy the other day for 54 holes! At first I thought I was being attacked by yellow jackets! Ahhh! :eek: :eek: My arms are so sore from swatting, and the bites itch like crazy, at least I killed a few of them with my tasmanian devil kung fu.

In my few run-ins with them 100% deet, liberally applied, did help some.

I've tried with some success to swat them with a towel but more often I just get the **** outta dodge.

Not fun to deal with at all. :thmbdown:

From some quick internet "research" ... and because I, too, despise those little buggers:

"Because of all the deer flies this year due to a very wet spring, I thought I would repost this again. I really hate deer flies. You might look like an idiot using this method, but it really works. Deer flies appear to be attracted to the color bright Royal blue. Get a plastic Solo drinking cup that is bright Royal Blue in color. Coat the outside of the cup with something called Tanglefoot. Make sure the Tanglefoot is clear in color, not the brown kind. Walk (or drive around your property on a 4 wheeler or lawn mower)with the cup attatched to a pole or antenna, and the flies will attract themselves to the cup and get stuck. Hundreds of them will come. Why? Nobody knows. The deer flies will be completely wiped out for around two weeks. Here is a link to the study.

[link to news.ufl.edu]

PS: Due to the above observations, don't wear clothing that is Royal blue or buy a car that is Royal blue or deer flies will be attracted to you by the hundreds!"

I may start by not wearing blue shirts and see how it goes.

Carry a fly swatter and hang out with someone sweatier than you.

My vehicle is royal blue and they were attacking it like a scene from Cujo! I'm also a sweat master. I'm screwed! :(

^Not quite the hot fashion item, but looks legit. :thmbup:

^WOW, I'm learning about all kinds of interesting outdoor accessories this morning. :)

these work too ...

Bounce-Dryer-Sheets.png

My mom can often been seen working in the yard with bounce sheets stuffed into the collar of her shirt. She says it's the only thing that works.

Been trying to kill a huge bumblebee that hangs out by my apartment door with it. It only stuns the thing for a few seconds. Been unsuccessful in trying to stomp on it once its down.

... don't wear clothing that is Royal blue ...

Public Service Announcement: Deer flies really do seem to be attracted by royal blue.

For the first time in weeks, I wore a royal blue shirt for a round of disc this morning. I thought about the deer fly - royal blue link that had been discussed here some weeks ago about halfway to the course, but I wasn't going to turn back. Those little bastiches came out in force and followed me around all 18. I'd been wearing any color except royal blue the last few weeks and hadn't seen a single one.

Lesson learned.

Damn. I guess I picked the wrong color for my quads. :doh:

Latest posts