• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dealing with hills

cpjackson

First post under my new user name. It's been a while so I thought I'd pick a better name anyway. On a side note, sign up is infinitely easier than it was before!

Anyhow, I wanted to get some input from the community.
What kinds of things do experienced players do in the following scenarios?

• Throwing downhill to a tight landing area.
  • Throwing downhill for max distance.
  • Throwing uphill on a tight fairway.
  • Maximizing your shot from a hillside lie.
  • Low power shots -- not blowing past the pin or hyzering out 35 feet short.
  • Controlling anhyzers -- stalling out early usually leaves one in a very bad spot, so does overdoing the angle (the resulting roll negates whatever the anhyzer accomplished).

These are all situations I encounter in almost every round I play. Some of the scenarios are inspired by specific holes I encounter regularly.

Thanks!

CPJackson said:
What kinds of things do experienced players do in the following scenarios?

• Throwing downhill to a tight landing area. throw a putter. make sure it lands flat to minimize chancees of a weird bounce or roll.
  • Throwing downhill for max distance. throw something flippy with a ton of glide. aim low...you want your line to hug the ground the best you can because its probably going to pop up to some degree (depending on the wind). most important characteristic of the disc thrown: lots of glide and little to no fade.
  • Throwing uphill on a tight fairway. i can think of a million different scenerios for this one. approach would be dependant on the shape of the tunnel/fairway, distance to pin etc. generally, when throwing uphill i like to throw understable stuff to allow me to throw the disc higher, with a lower risk of stall. or putters. puters rule.
  • Maximizing your shot from a hillside lie.learn balance, daniel-san. learning how to throw far with a stand-and-deliver was the best thing that ever happened to my form. the utility you gain translates to being more accurate and calculated on EVERY shot.
  • Low power shots -- not blowing past the pin or hyzering out 35 feet short. im a huge fan of the tomahawk and thumbers at short range. mostly because, if your disc is parallell to the trees you have much less laterral exposure and a greater chance of making it through thicker trees. its great for short downhill shots because you can aim short and controlled and plan on a nice little slide. if youre going for those shots, master the lob. if you do it right there will be a good chance of making it but should land close to the pin and flat, minimizing chances of a weird bounce. think good pop on underside of the flight plate and with a lot of nose down. ;)
  • Controlling anhyzers -- stalling out early usually leaves one in a very bad spot, so does overdoing the angle (the resulting roll negates whatever the anhyzer accomplished). learn sidearm. or how to anny without catching an edge. if you find yourself catching an edge and rolling ...EVER... you should not be using that technique when strokes matter. the reward does not outweigh the risk.