• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Utah Open presented by Latitude 64

Didn't look like Catrina released the disc in the basket on hole 14.

I just watched this, and it's impossible to tell without x-ray vision, but she clearly opens her hand with the disc in the basket, which may be supported by the chains at that point. In any event, probably not a good habit to get into as it gives the appearance of a problem-something to be avoided in any endeavor.

I just watched this, and it's impossible to tell without x-ray vision, but she clearly opens her hand with the disc in the basket, which may be supported by the chains at that point. In any event, probably not a good habit to get into as it gives the appearance of a problem-something to be avoided in any endeavor.

She did it multiple times. On some occasions, she clearly let go of the disc. On some, it appeared she did not.

I used to drop discs into the basket with my hand touching the disc while the disc touched the basket. Then I learned that that violated the rules, and I had to let the disc go, so I began doing so. On several of these occasions, Cat's hand was clearly on the disc while sliding it along the rim of the basket, which could've been called.

A good habit is to drop the disc into the basket, reach down and pick up the marker/disc on the ground, and only then retrieve the disc from the basket. Maybe someone who knows Cat can get word to her on these issues.

Just got done with RD3's smashcutt

Great tournament to watch! Thanks to all cameras crews out there and big thanks to Johnny V and Smashboxx for the quick smashcutts. I had a busy weekend and it was great to be able to watch the round real quick before the next round started incase I got a chance to watch live.

I literally started busting out laughing during round 3 because it seemed Terry and Steve were the jinx kings :D

Hole 6 Terry calls a star card then Ricky misses 10 footer
Hole 14 Terry calls a playoff and we know how that went ;)
Hole 15 Steve says" when Drew makes this putt he will be in ......" then drew misses a 10 footer.

Loved it all, look forward to rewatching the post production women and other MPO footage. Thanks again!

On several of these occasions, Cat's hand was clearly on the disc while sliding it along the rim of the basket, which could've been called.

Called what?

If she never releases, then yes, that's failure to hole out since you have to release the disc and allow it to come to rest in the target. Beyond that, I'm not sure what her hand being on the disc while it is sliding along the rim of the basket has to do with anything.

Stance rules within the 10 meter circle state that no contact can be made with anything closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker at the time of release as well as after release prior to demonstrating balance. If her hand is still on the disc, then she hasn't released it so none of those conditions need to be met yet.

Called what?

If she never releases, then yes, that's failure to hole out since you have to release the disc and allow it to come to rest in the target. Beyond that, I'm not sure what her hand being on the disc while it is sliding along the rim of the basket has to do with anything.

Stance rules within the 10 meter circle state that no contact can be made with anything closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker at the time of release as well as after release prior to demonstrating balance. If her hand is still on the disc, then she hasn't released it so none of those conditions need to be met yet.

Hate to be dense, but I'm not sure what you're saying? Clarification please.

A stab, Yep SD could have said she hasn't holed out and presumably she hasn't. And that's not a penalty? But once she moves to the next hole, my understanding is that it's a penalty that can be called.

Rules:
803.03 Misplay

D. In instances where a misplay is discovered after the player has turned in the scorecard, the misplay shall not be replayed and the player shall receive a two-throw penalty for the misplay.

G. Types of misplay:

3. Failure To Hole Out. The player has teed off on a hole without having holed out on the previous hole. The score for the misplayed hole shall be the number of throws made, plus one for holing out, plus two penalty throws for the misplay. The player must not actually hole out on the previous hole. Intentionally failing to hole out constitutes withdrawal from competition.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your point. When they start hitting those step putts like Ricky hits his putts, then I'll believe it's working. Till then, I reserve judgement.

That has more to do with Ricky than the efficacy of step-putting in my opinion. If everybody putted like Ricky, Ricky would be draining most of the putts and everybody else would still be airballing and splashing out like usual. If Ricky started step-putting he'd probably be draining putts all the same. Ricky just amazing touch.

It would figure that on a day Ricky has a walk-off ace, an Ultimate play would make SC top10 and not the ace...

As far as aces go it was pretty...meh. Like the course. The most interesting part of this whole thing is the mountain range in the background. Looks like good hiking.

That has more to do with Ricky than the efficacy of step-putting in my opinion. If everybody putted like Ricky, Ricky would be draining most of the putts and everybody else would still be airballing and splashing out like usual. If Ricky started step-putting he'd probably be draining putts all the same. Ricky just amazing touch.

I'm gonna disagree with you. And I'll stand by that till someone proves me wrong. Bio-mechanically speaking. The step putt is more complicated. I'm pretty confident that more complicated processes are harder to do than less complicated processes. Now, some players do overcome complex processes. Bagwell is my favorite. Before taking a cut at the ball he'd crouch down like he was taking a dump. Then, on the delivery of the ball, he'd straighten up and swat the ball. Great batter. But pretty much every analyst agreed, he'd of been even better with a simpler stance.

Ricky has a weight shift into his release. He has to time it. Uli has to time his weight shift, his landing, and his release. And as we've seen, he gets it wrong plenty. Plenty being 20% of the time as a working number. That is, I'm not trying to say he always gets it wrong, just wrong enough that it's engendered an entire list of threads on his foot faults with video evidence.

I have to wonder, if he actually consistently hit his foot placement, that is, focused on not foot faulting, if he'd have even less success?

BTW, BD, typically, if I see a process that is widespread in its use, I tend to think it's neutral, neither better or worse than anything else out there. The total number of pros I see step putting is pretty small. That in and of itself is telling. I see lots of lift putting, lots of spin putts, plenty of straddle putts, and lots of mixes. But to my recollection, the total number of step putters that I've seen is three. Uli, Dave Feldberg and one other. I'm sure there's more, but it has none of the prevalence of the other types of putting. To me, that is a comment. No data, other than observation. But maybe it's just a matter of time? For sure, the forehand took a while to catch on.

Didn't look like Catrina released the disc in the basket on hole 14.

I just looked at the video and what I saw was her fingers quickly opened and closed.
So.... my opinion is she released her disc. It was fast but she opened then closed and picked it out.

I just looked at the video and what I saw was her fingers quickly opened and closed.
So.... my opinion is she released her disc. It was fast but she opened then closed and picked it out.
Since the disc had not come to rest, she interfered with its flight by grabbing it before it stopped moving.

I'm gonna disagree with you. And I'll stand by that till someone proves me wrong. Bio-mechanically speaking. The step putt is more complicated. I'm pretty confident that more complicated processes are harder to do than less complicated processes. Now, some players do overcome complex processes. Bagwell is my favorite. Before taking a cut at the ball he'd crouch down like he was taking a dump. Then, on the delivery of the ball, he'd straighten up and swat the ball. Great batter. But pretty much every analyst agreed, he'd of been even better with a simpler stance.

Ricky has a weight shift into his release. He has to time it. Uli has to time his weight shift, his landing, and his release. And as we've seen, he gets it wrong plenty. Plenty being 20% of the time as a working number. That is, I'm not trying to say he always gets it wrong, just wrong enough that it's engendered an entire list of threads on his foot faults with video evidence.

I have to wonder, if he actually consistently hit his foot placement, that is, focused on not foot faulting, if he'd have even less success?
And I'm going to have disagree with you, roundly. There's no way you can compare step-putting to Jeff Bagwell's batting stance, it's not even close. Step-putting is not that bio-mechanically a much more complicated process than how Ricky putts; it's walking, which is something everyone masters as tiny children. I would bet you that Uli consistently hits his foot placement 99% of the time, just like any other putter. Hitting your mark step-putting is a walk in the park (pun intended) compared to hitting your mark during a run up but other than the Stand and Deliver minority everyone pretty much agrees that it's more than doable with a little practice. So acting like step-putting is this super complicated procedure is just absurd.

The bio-mechanics are like 90% the same, the only difference is like two steps-one step into throw, then 100% the same mechanics as Ricky, disc is thrown and then a step into a natural follow through produced by weight shift. If we can't trust professional disc golfers to be this coordinated than we might as well stop pretending that we're more athletic than bowlers, darts players, and cup stackers.

The Jomez videos continue to raise the bar. Koling and Ulibarri were great. Their "pick 'em up" comments while Josh and Ricky were making everything were funny. You wonder if there were stats for "distance of made putts" if those 2 set some kind of record in the last round. So many discs went in from so far away it was odd when either of them missed. It looked rigged they putted so well -- did anyone cover Vicich's -12 round?

And I'm going to have disagree with you, roundly. There's no way you can compare step-putting to Jeff Bagwell's batting stance, it's not even close. Step-putting is not that bio-mechanically a much more complicated process than how Ricky putts; it's walking, which is something everyone masters as tiny children. I would bet you that Uli consistently hits his foot placement 99% of the time, just like any other putter. Hitting your mark step-putting is a walk in the park (pun intended) compared to hitting your mark during a run up but other than the Stand and Deliver minority everyone pretty much agrees that it's more than doable with a little practice. So acting like step-putting is this super complicated procedure is just absurd.

The bio-mechanics are like 90% the same, the only difference is like two steps-one step into throw, then 100% the same mechanics as Ricky, disc is thrown and then a step into a natural follow through produced by weight shift. If we can't trust professional disc golfers to be this coordinated than we might as well stop pretending that we're more athletic than bowlers, darts players, and cup stackers.

That's good enough for me. One of the beauties of America is you get to believe what you want. That said, if getting it right is so easy, why does Uli continue to foot fault? Are you saying he's cheating? :)

Last edited: