• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Cart - Box on Wheels

I am not sure when I will get to my project but I am going to build a pull cart from the ground up this winter. This won't just be an adapted box either. It will be built and designed from the ground up to carry discs around the course. Tunes, cooler and seat will all be addressed.

I am not sure when I will get to my project but I am going to build a pull cart from the ground up this winter. This won't just be an adapted box either. It will be built and designed from the ground up to carry discs around the course. Tunes, cooler and seat will all be addressed.

I will be interested to see it when you are done. Be sure to start a thread or PM me some pics. I am hooked on making this thing better or getting ideas for a better model from those that want to share.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't see DD making them. I do see a little winter project for me. Are the brackets you mounted the wheels on something you purchased or fabricated.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't see DD making them. I do see a little winter project for me. Are the brackets you mounted the wheels on something you purchased or fabricated.

Everything you see was from a trip to Home Depot and Lowe's after I got the box. I spent about 2 hours tinkering in the stores (took the box with me) to figure out what would work for me. I would suggest using the lock nuts on everything...especially the axle bolts as the ones that I first used twisted themselves loose with a bit of rolling.

Picking up the box this week, going to begin my construction during the Holiday Vacation.

Hope it turns out as good as Coach's

FWIW to those that are building one of these...

I am not particularly happy with the internal frame that I made. I used larger PVC than I should have and it just takes up space that I would rather have for more plastic or other things like a water bottle, towels, flashlight, etc. If you guys have better ideas or find something that works well, post it here. I may just end up putting in a pool noodle (cut in half lenghtwise) on each side of the botom and stack discs on that. It may leave more room at the end for a water bottle to stand up.

I just used 3/4 foam pipe insulation. It's like a pool noodle but cheaper and easier to find in the winter. I think a 5 pack of them cost $2 at home depot. A cardboard box or plastic jug would make a great way to keep the disc from leaning on the water bottles and towels. Fancy and expensive is overrated.

I'm really wanting to build one of these, possibly attempt to build a GGGT cart...that's my ultimate goal. How much have these been costing y'all to build? I'm wondering how much under the $200 price tag these are.

I'm really wanting to build one of these, possibly attempt to build a GGGT cart...that's my ultimate goal. How much have these been costing y'all to build? I'm wondering how much under the $200 price tag these are.

I sent you a PM with more details, but I think I would have spent just under $100. This was extravagant as far as pricing and I only tackled this because I had some gift cards that covered the cost so I did not come out of pocket.

I have a buddy that has drawn up some plans to weld together an aluminum one. I think his will be better planned and more functional than mine. I am excited to see his (when/if he gets them done). Maybe he will make a second one at cost for me since I shared this borrowed idea. ;)

I made a few adjustments...
I took out the inner frame which turned out to be a waste of time and money. The discs are now sitting on pool noodles. I also moved the wheel bas back an inch or two to gain ground clearance. Lastly, I added water bottle holders to the outside of the box. Now it holds more discs, holds water, and rolls better. I am still happy with it overall. I will try to post a pic or two tonight.

I took out the inner frame which turned out to be a waste of time and money. The discs are now sitting on pool noodles. I also moved the wheel bas back an inch or two to gain ground clearance. Lastly, I added water bottle holders to the outside of the box. Now it holds more discs, holds water, and rolls better. I am still happy with it overall. I will try to post a pic or two tonight.

Looking forward to the pictures of your improvements. When I get back to Portland this June I plan on building one as I carry about 20 discs plus water, beer, retriever, slingshot, pruning shears, rain jacket, etc.

Definitely interested in seeing how the water bottles work.
That's the stickler in my box on wheels.

Ziggy

Why not use bicycle water-bottle holders? Nylon types usually sell for a couple bucks, or can often be found in thrift stores. They're usually made to set flat against the bike frame.

Here are a few new pics. I added 2 water bottle holders (one on each side). The water bottle cages are repurposed from a bicycle. The pics show one empty and one with a water bottle in it. I put the cages on a slight forward tilt as this allows the bottles to sit upright when the cart is being pulled. It also allows for easy in/out of the water bottle due to the top molding of the box.

Attachments

• cart water bottle.jpg
    cart water bottle.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 87
  • cart front view.jpg
    cart front view.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 72
Here is the cart with and without discs. The foam pool noodle holds discs high enough to allow for some storage of things underneath them. I have room for a mini and my retriever as well as an extra towel. There is a top flap compartment in the lid of the case where I put my keys, wallet, and phone. It pretty well holds all that I need.

Attachments

• cart full.jpg
    cart full.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 67
  • cart empty.jpg
    cart empty.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 53
It holds the same amount of discs I carry! Looks great, I like it!

It holds much more than I carry/need but it is great to have extra space to bring extra putters and mids for practice on my rarely used local course.

Latest posts