• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Cart - Box on Wheels

CoachQ

Eagle Member
http://locker15.weebly.com/discadde-carts.html

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1830569640782&set=o.291168846466&type=1&theater

I don't know how to post pics from other sites so I put up a few links. Anyone have any experience with any of these types of disc carts? There is some info on DGR about them as well as the local forum as posted above. From what I gather a guy from Minnesota (I think) is making them and selling them. I saw Cale and Ulibarri have them at an Arizona tourney in October. Apparently the guy has gone through several modifications (box type, bracket assembly, handle type, etc.). The carts seem pretty decent since they will carry over 20 discs and double as a seat.

I made one on my own using the same box and a hill billy rigged set up for brackets and wheels, but I think it will work fairly well. I will post pics of mine when I get a chance. What are your thoughts in the meantime?

The carts are great on your back and easy to make. I have made one too and it is holding up fine over several rounds. I used a $3 sterilite filing box instead of the $45 ammo box and I also used foam wheels instead of inner tube style. How much does your cart weigh empty?

I am not sure of the weight, but I like the room it has and the ease with which it moves. It was a fun side project for me since I am not Mr. Handy. I just finished the cart itself today and I have to build a small inner frame/rack for the discs. It was more expensive than I would have wanted it to be, but I had a few gift cards to the places I bought the items. I also got the ammo box for $31 (on a gift card, but that was the cheapest I could find it for). It cost me only a little out of my actual pocket. I modified the original design and used an extendable painters pole, U-bolts, a sanding pad (for the lower support brace), etc. All things considered I am pretty happy so far. Time will tell how well it holds up. Here are a few pics of mine...

Attachments

• disc cart 1.jpg
    disc cart 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 191
  • disc cart 2.jpg
    disc cart 2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 168
Here are a few more pics. I will get pics of the inside posted after I get the internal rack done. It seems that it will hold everything that my Grip bag holds.

Attachments

• disc cart 3.jpg
    disc cart 3.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 114
  • disc cart 4.jpg
    disc cart 4.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 85
That's a nice cart. They used to make them out of coolers. You can sit on them (you could anyway) and they are durable. The only thing is if you pull them through long grass and brush they get some drag since they sit so low.

I offset the handle to the side. This helps it track better behind you when walking down narrow trails. I also found the handle would get very cold during colder weather. An easy fix I did on the course for this was to wrap a towel around the top of the handle with some duct tape. A better fix would be to use some hockey stick tape or cork wrap for bicycles. I am curious to how you set up the inside. Not sure how I want to arrange mine yet. Does your handle have a quick release so it travels in a car easier?

^^My handle is not a quick release, but it does unscrew from the base for easier travel. I think I will set up my internal frame similar to the pic of the one in the first link that I posted in the OP.

I would love to see pics of your carts as well since I have a friend that is wanting to build one after seeing mine. I am always up for improvement ideas.

Mine is not strong enough to really double as a seat but I have some other ideas in mind I want to put to the test soon. Here are some pics of the one I built. I used a cut down jug to make a seperate compartment for towels, drinks and snacks. I originally thought the Sterilite box would self destruct after three rounds but it has been going strong for four months. I bought an extra box in case the first one broke. The goal was just lightweight and simple.

imag0325k.jpg

imag0326d.jpg

imag0327l.jpg

Here is another cart I picked up in trade from a local pro. This is one of two carts built by a local club member using this design. It has a removable cooler that doubles as a seat and a nice disc box for carrying the plastic. It is more elaborate and a bit heavier than my other one but has more features.

imag0328s.jpg

imag0329k.jpg

imag0330l.jpg

I like the variation of ideas on those, Steve. I will be showing these pics to my buddy before we put his together.

Sterilite filing box
Wheels from a golf pull cart to mount on 1/2" axle
1/2" uss threaded rod for axle
Angle iron with holes
1/4x2" ss hex head capscrew
1/4" ss fw
1/4" ss nylock
6 1/2" #5 uss nuts
6 3/8" SS Nylock nuts
6 3/8x1 ss hex head capscrews
8 3/8" ss flat washers
small 90 degree angle bracket
1/4" clevis pin w/ handle
12" Gray pvc pipe (can't remember size but handles nests inside it)
6' steel conduit pipe(can't remember size but it nests into the pvc)

Please post pics when you get it done. It would be cool to see others takes on this idea.

As stated...here are the pics of the frame/rack that I built for the inside of the box. There is the rack, the rack in the box, and the rack with 18 discs (2 putters, 5 mids, 11 drivers). I used 3/4 inch pipe for the rack instead of 1/2 inch which probably cost me the room for one or two more discs.

Overall this was a fun DIY project and I am sure that I will use it plenty, but it will not be my total replacement for my Grip bag. This will be tough to roll on some rugged/rocky desert courses that I play. It also lacks a bit of storage for water and the little crap that I carry. It also doesn't have the best ground clearance. I am sure that I could raise the box but I would lose the support and integrity of the box walls (if the box wasn't flat on the ground when not rolling) and wouldn't be able to use it as a chair.

Attachments

• disc frame.jpg
    disc frame.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 55
  • frame in box.jpg
    frame in box.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 71
  • frame with discs.jpg
    frame with discs.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 94
What does the frame accomplish? Why not just let the discs sit freely in the box? I would build a frame or box to keep the discs off to one side so that there is room for drinks and other items. If the frame is to keep the discs off of the bottom than a couple pieces of pipe insulation foam laid in the bottom would probably work.

I am not Coach but it is a mtm caseguard spud 7. Sportsmans warehouse carries them around here. Is DD going to take a crack at this?

CoachQ-

What is the name brand of the Ammo Box? And where did you find it?

Thanks

steve a has it right. This is an MTM Caseguard SPUD7. They come in orange, black or camo. This one was the cheapest I found.

I am not sure how to quote twice, but I will answer steve's question: I built the frame to keep the discs organized because I am anal. The arms on each side of the frame are not glued (but all other joints are). This allows me to carry less discs by twisting the arm support inward to act as a "bookend" on the discs. I then have room on the other side of the arm for water and other things. There is also a removable tray that sits above the discs that can hold smaller items and water bottles. I am sure I could have done this with less, but I was getting crafty and took it to the extreme. :p

Latest posts