• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc for wife who just wants to have fun

MaineDisc

My son's and I have been hooked on disc golf and my wife loves to go also. Its great exercise for the family. For some reason my wife grabbed a star Valkyrie for her disc. She can throw it about 75' on a constant hyzer. She's having a great time but would like to have something that could fly a little straighter and just as far. She uses a aviar and that can go about 50'. What would you recommend for a disc?

DX Gazelle or Teebird - from there as she works on her form and gets more distance the Star Valk will be useful again.

None of those discs are going to do anything special at under 100 ft.

Lighter weights for sure and nothing even close to overstable. Lots of 150 class putters which would work well that are a little faster vs aviar. Same with mids. Very US molds and light weight should fly the best up to 200' of power really and no need for faster molds which will fly the same. That doesnt sound fun at all just playing fetch ever few feet. Her seeing the disc flyyyy will help.

Give a Latitude 64 Diamond a try in around 150g weight. I'm an older guy with not a very strong arm and have been using Teebirds and Rivers with some success, but I can get an extra 50-75 feet more distance out of the Diamond, and it is laser straight.

putters and mids, 140-150ish weight. at these distances, those are her best bet to get something to fly straight. No sense in messing with drivers that will just be hyzer machines

My girl friend uses Discraft challengers as her putter (due to personal comfort in the hand) I throw challengers also.

Mid she has dx cobra 160ish grams. Can't remember the exact weight, but it does work well.

Her favorite mid is the Discraft buzzz, she has a big Z buzzz and one in x plastic.

The driver that has gives her the most distance, consistently is the Discraft avenger SS. She has one in x plastic and one in Pro-D plastic.

She had Beast-X at first but it was way to much for her arm.

I second the Diamond. What woman wouldn't want one you know? ;) In all seriousness though any really light understable fairway is good idea in my book. Get a light Pro Leopard if you want to save a few bucks.

Aviar, Pure, Proxy, or any other neutral putter
Elite X Buzz, Star Mako, DX Stingray, X-Stratus or any other neutral mid
Pro Leopard, MJLS, Opto Diamond, or any other slow neutral-understable driver

All of these options will keep her in the fairway and having fun. They will also season and fly longer before fading the more she throws them.

Last edited:
Light, slower and understable. DX Stingray, X or D Stratus, lightest you can find. At 75 feet and hyzer, you might get another 25 feet with the lighter understable mid.

Valk is really suited for 300+ throwers.

Get her a x comet and lightest diamond in opto and her putter she likes feel of that setup has done great for kids and gf

Last edited:
I bought my wife (50's, fairly weak) a stack of 150 range mids to try, all DX and she prefers the Shark and Cobra the best

A light weigh skeeter. 130's I've thrown the ones that come with E.D.G.E package they have a ton of glide and take no effort to make fly.

A lightweight Pearl might be a suitable choice too. Both Pearl and Stratus are easy to grip for small hands