• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc found safe, stroke removed?

Ziggy

Double Eagle Member
While watching SpikeHyzer's recent video on Whispering Pines,

I was scratching my head at 19:58 at the ruling for Koling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKTOQGsVpi8

Apparently, after the throw was finished, Koling did not call a provisional. So he was throwing with penalty stroke. However, later on in the hole, the group discovers Koling's throw to be inbounds, so the stroke for penalty was removed??

can someone clarify this? I am unable to hear if anyone is talking in the video about this since I am deaf.

Last edited:
There was no talking to explain it so you didn't miss anything.

The penalty should not have been removed.

He threw 1, supposedly lost or OB.
2 for the penalty (for OB or optional relief, whatever you want to call it)
3 was the overhand throw
4 approach
5 to putt in

Looks like a bogey 5 on a par 4 hole.

Somehow it looks like it was scored a 4, which is incorrect.

If the first shot was in-bounds, he should have played from it. If the throw from the drop zone was not done provisionally, it's a practice throw and should have been counted but discarded (not used).

But it appears he played from the drop zone throw, so he's ostensibly accepting that he was OB even if he turned out to be in-bounds (same as if you declare a disc lost but then find it after it's been called). He shouldn't get to erase that stroke from his score.

The only other explanation for no penalty is if it was a bunCR hazard rather than OB. That it was simply a hazard in which shots landing in it had to be played from the drop zone but without penalty.

Just goes to show that just because they're great players, doesn't mean they know the rules any better than the rest of us.

The video scored the hole incorrectly. There was a discussion on this (on Facebook, I believe), and the video was incorrect, but we were assured that Jerm's scorecard had the correct score, 5