• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfers with the Music Biz on their resume

Seeing the thread by techn9cian4life about his "Going on a 2 month tour with rapper Tech N9ne" got me thinking. I wondered how many people on here might have a background or are still working in show business.

I can't remember which of the Clash DG videos it was but one of them was on a course owned by someone that used to tour with the Grateful Dead.

When I started touring in the mid '80s I did not even think of taking my discs with me. It would have been hard to find courses without the resources we have now.

My story:
Played music for a living and mixed many local bands before touring.

I toured with such bands and artists as Peaches and Herb, The SOS Band, Pure Prairie League, Charlie McClain, Keith Stegall, The Pixies, Adrian Belew, Evelyn "Champagne" King and others. (I always forget somebody when I do the list)
Also did some short tours or one offs with people such as Bootsy Collins and many others. (memory failing me now).

I worked as an audio engineer doing either front of house or monitors. Sometimes also doubling as a drum tech or bass tech.

Looking forward to hearing and sharing stories.

I also do much work with IATSE loading in and out shows as well as production manager and stage manager at other shows.

Nothing too awful fancy. I'm a stage tech for the Symphony's concert band when they play our amphitheater. 4-6 shows every summer. I'm also a gopher for the guy behind the sound board.

My department also provides telephones and internet access to the bigger shows (Joe Walsh, Barenaked Ladies, Chicago, Buddy Guy to name a few from the last 2 years) we host in our amphitheater. Not really music related, but it does get me backstage :D

I'm a DJ/produce electronic music. I DJ in a few local clubs and have played a couple somewhat sizable music festivals. All I do is push buttons though. ZAMson is also a musician.

Most of the guys in Umphrey's McGee play disc golf or used to, also a bunch of the crew does.

I'd like to give a shout out to the Hey Baby band here in westchester county NY. I dont know if any of them are on this site but they are old school guys from back in the day who still tour locally. Most of them are avid disc golfers and it is always a pleasure playing with them (Buddy Ox!!!). Some of the a capella stuff that goes on between holes is great!

I started playing guitar in bands back in high school. HTI (Help for the Terminally Insane). Heavily influenced by the Sex Pistols and Led Zeppelin.

In college I played in a band called "Bocephus and Ed". Mostly on campus but we had a small following. We got our names on the marquee at the local movie theater when we played there in place of the midnight movie once.

I still play occasionally but my dreams of rockstar fame have long since faded away. I'm married so I don't need it to try and get chicks (which is why I started in the first place 30 years ago!!). I'm glad I have the skill and the ability to express myself musically. I think everyone should play an instrument.

Some great stories in this thread. biscoe, when you played with GWAR were they wearing their big heads and shoulder pads? I saw them in 2000 and have never been covered with so much j!zz and blood (both fake). What a wild time.

Thanks for the thread Old Bassman

I've played with For Today, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Texas In July, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Osiris, etc.

Latest posts