• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc PAINTING??

Frank-Flyer

Birdie Member
ok so I have a disc that i need a brighter color...currently it is the color called "blend in with every D*MN thing" its basically like a dark gray greenish......i dont think dye will help, will paint work?? or do you think the dye will do the job??

Dye will only make things darker.

Paint will make the discs illegal for PDGA tournaments. If you don't play tourneys then paint is the way to go. If you play tourneys you need a new disc, mah friend.

I recently found a star that was covered in spray paint and seemed to have altered the plastic a great deal. It seemed to have softened it up a bit. Just saying be careful.

Nice! I love Cobras, Do what you feel or just throw it real straight and watch where it goes.
I have practically worn out my first Cobra and I will spend all the time it takes to find it.

yeah, most spray paints will eat up discs. Especially Krylon. it's a thinner/primer that makes it bond better. use a nice silver sharpie. Still not for tournament play, but it wont mess it up so bad, and you will be able to find it pretty easy.

use it as a paint tray and paint something cool, fu*k it

a buddy of mine painted my roc with paint pens and then clear coated it. It looks great (he's an artist and he painted a chinese dragon on it) but it's a wall hanger, not legal.

yeah i'd def spend an hour looking for it if i had to.. its not that i have crappy throws, its just SO wooded where i play and like a foot off the fairway can take 20mins if you missed the spot it left

I would suggest some art done with Silver Sharpie.

If I was a "Search Master" I would pull up some pictures of the Black PDGA ESP Stalkers. In a thread about them someone had pictures of how they made it more visible.

The glo cobras don't fly the same as the plain old champ ones. Nothing beats a nice flat champ cobra. I have the same problem with mine though, it's a dark maroon, almost brown, and really hard to find in the woods. What's the weight on your green one? I have a few back-ups that are a little more brightly colored.

Anybody ever try bleaching a disc? I don't know how it would react to the plastic, so I would definitely try it on a garbage disc first.

The glo cobras don't fly the same as the plain old champ ones. Nothing beats a nice flat champ cobra. I have the same problem with mine though, it's a dark maroon, almost brown, and really hard to find in the woods. What's the weight on your green one? I have a few back-ups that are a little more brightly colored.

its a 172g... whats so diff about the glo's??

I'm no pro at the disc dyeing at all, but I have indeed spray painted several discs to make them more visible. If you do it "the right way", it will NOT hurt the disc at all and will barely add a gram of weight. In fact, it actually made the discs fly a little better (due to the tiny 'bumpy' surface of the spray paint helping to break up wind resistance).

The first rule in "The Right Way" is to pick a disc that is a light enough color to begin with. A dark color will be a waste of your time.

The Second, YOU MUST BE PATIENT WITH THE PAINTING. Doing spray paint right takes time and several small coats.

How: thoroughly clean the surface of the disc and then give it a quick rub down with some steel wool. Put the disc on a safe surface with at least 3 feet of coverage on all sides (so you don't end up painting the ground around it). MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: spray from about 2 feet away in sweeping passes. Point away from the disc and then push the nozzle just as you start to sweep from right to left across the disc and then let go of the nozzle right as you finish your sweep. Then, point away from the disc and then push the nozzle just as you start to sweep from left to right across the disc and then let go of the nozzle right as you finish that sweep. Start at the the top of the area you're spraying and slowly move down a little more with each pass, remembering to stay 2ft away. You'll build up a rhythm after very little practice.
Your first coat should be so light that you can't really see it unless you look really hard. Each coat should be just a mist of color and then let it dry for 5 minutes or longer between each tiny little coat.
The spray paint should never be thick enough to block out the stamp on the disc.

If you do it carefully, it'll look just like the DX-Eagle from my bag. I picked it up from a garage sale for 50 cents. It was a stupid cream color and was really hard to see in the tall grass or brush, but I liked throwing it. Granted, I sprayed it a long time ago and it has been well used since I did, but this is what it looks like right now.

DXEagle_SprayOrange.jpg

If you try to spray a dark colored disc, like this purple DX-Stingray, it will barely do anything for you.

DXStingray_SprayOrange.jpg

I used the RustOleum brand Specialty Florescent Orange spray paint. The Pink of the same brand was also very vivid and easy to see. I have painted DX plastic (because it's practically impossible to dye), Champion plastic (because dyeing wasn't an option at that time) and a Star plastic. They all produced really good results.

Had a friend who tried putting on too much spray paint at once and too much paint in general and got runs and flaking; and his discs were really rigid and about 10 grams heavier. He was able to get it all off with mineral spirits and they're fine now.

P.S. I understand that painting will make a disc ineligible for tournament play. Meh.

Anybody ever try bleaching a disc? I don't know how it would react to the plastic, so I would definitely try it on a garbage disc first.

That won't work very well. The plastic is dyed a color before they pour it into the mold. You'd pretty much have to dissolve the disc to get the color all out. Some color would come out (like it does from leaving them in the sun), but it would really mess up the disc... or so I'd think.

Latest posts