• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Weight

If you are a beginner go with lighter discs, especially on drivers. They will really help your distance. Go with heavier on putters so they don't soar too much on you and go past the basket.

I started with discs in the 162-168 range but have since gone almost exclusively to the 150 Class with impressive increases in distance and accuracy. My only heavier discs now are my Wildcat (165) and Destroyer (169) for headwinds and left turns, my Panther (160) for mid range, and my putters (170 and 180).

Following my lead, hubby is also moving down from his max weight discs to discs in the 165-170 range - he's even added a few 150 Class discs (Avenger and Flick) to his bag after throwing mine far, far, far past the basket on a couple of holes.

Lighter discs go farther.

...lighter discs, especially on drivers. They will really help your distance.

I always knew the lighter discs were more "flippy", and that they were suppose to go farther, but I had never thrown anything under a 165g until last week. A buddy of mine had an R-Pro Boss, 143g, and said, "Here, give this a toss." WOW, that is the farthest I have ever thrown a disc in my life. I typically throw around 300ft now (168-170g range), this discs went 375+, may have hit 400ft. I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. On the "flip" side, it did turn over really bad, had to release with a lot of hyzer to keep control. I think I'm going to experiment with something in the middle, maybe 160ish or so.

i think that it all depends on your arm speed which discs will go farther, light or heavy. i seem to notice that the faster speed the heavier discs are needed.

Latest posts