• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down vs high speed drivers

Hartley444

Birdie Member
I always hear it better to disc down but than I see that everyone on here has a disc like the dominatior or other that is really high speed. I throw up to 350 with a leopard. What type of gain would I see from a dominator speed disc? Is it worth getting one high speed disc?

I say get a Destroyer and try that (assuming you want Innova). The wider rim will feel weird but I would bet your first rip will be over 400 for sure. Once you get used to that then you can move up to full speed or not. But ho early 350 with a Leo is really good. Fairway's of course tend to be more accurate than the distance drivers so you may need to adjust to that but it sounds like you are certainly on the right pace.

i agree if u are throwing a leopard those distances u will push a nuke or katana out to 400+. maybe step up slowly try a pro wraith or valk and see if u see an increase in distance

Why not just move up slowly and see what kind of gains you get? I wouldn't suggest jumping straight to Speed 12/13s from a Leopard, just take a step up to the next speed and keep doing that until you find a good balance of distance/accuracy.

I don't want to sound like a downer, but I can throw a Leo 350, and my higher speed stuff goes "maybe" 10 feet further. I don't know what it is, but I just can't throw the high speed stuff. But it is worth a try.

Get a Pro Wraith, or Star. Wraiths are a good fast disc, long but still very controllable.

Wraiths are very comfortable I have a dominator in my bag and I never take it out cause I have so many good throws with my wraith. Maybe you should inch up use a valk than beast than wraith than teedevil/destroyer than boss/dominator. JMO

I actually started with a wraith and threw it pretty good than switched to a leopard and sqint. The star wraith was too overstable. My snap and approch throwingach has def changed since throwing the leopard but I was looking to maybe try something with higher speed that is less over stable. Maybe it is just the wraith I have. the saint has been awesome but I was just wondering if I should expect more distance from something even faster

A star wraith will be much more overstable than a pro one. I'd suggest either a star valk or a pro wraith so that you're mostly just increasing speed and not changing stability too much.

I vote a Wraith as well, I have two blizzard wraiths, both 158, slightly different plh, both really understable, great for up hills, big annys, and if my game is on 400+. Then I have 2 star wraiths, 1 is 167 and really beat in and flippy, the other is a 169 and is stable with some high speed turn. The Wraith is a staple in my bag, dont go out without at least 2.

If you want a faster understable, then I would suggest a Valkyrie or a Beast, and for as understable as a Leo try a Sidewinder. I have a friend who prefers a Roadrunner to a Sidewinder. For the stable driver I also vote for the Wraith.

I am always trying new things and I always go back to these discs.

Try a Saint. Could be a small step up in speed with a bunch more glide than you're used to. I would also think a Valkyrie or Beast would make more sense than going super high speed. It seems to me that the people I see throwing the high speed stuff don't always nowhere it is going to end up. Sometimes they fly true, sometimes they flip and never come back. Either those discs, or players are very inconsistent.

I used to love the star wraith but noticed I had to alter my throwing style to compensate for the huge fade. I know only use it for tomahawks and thumbers. I did get a saint and love it. Just wondering if there would be a huge difference between the speed of saint and faster discs. The saint and leopard have become my go to discs. I just see a lot of people have discs such as dominator listed under what they throw but everyone talks about throwing slower vdiscs. I do have a boss and flick I throw forehand but I really just wanted to know about backhand.

I'd keep a high speed disc in the bag for utility...I love Pro plastic also, so I'd suggest a Wraith as well. some of the courses I play have the basket behind trees and can reward a player who can throw a low fast hyzer and skip hard left (RHBH) sometimes into the basket! You're getting good D on your Leopard, why not see how far you can throw another driver?

The saint is freaking awesome. Now that I think about it the leopard was a bit over 300 and the saint was 350. Would an even faster disc give even more distance? I found a boss but it has too much fade which is what my problem was with the wraith long ago. I had a pro wraith but it beat in quick and started to flip over and became unredictable

Latest posts