• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania FD3

Firebirds are great but they just require so much more energy. I find FD3's to be more useful overall.

Not sure about them taking more energy, but the FD3 IME is much more useful to my game. broomerang bags them both and used them both for slightly different things, says there are certain ways that you can throw FBs that you can't throw the FD3. I personally have my DB2, a C-line(glow) and that's all the variance I need. I say it's a personal preference. I will be the guy with FD3s over FBs for ever.

broomerang bags them both and used them both for slightly different things, says there are certain ways that you can throw FBs that you can't throw the FD3.

Shots where I want a 50+ foot skip mainly. Also the Sexybird I bag skips harder but is more workable FH than my DB1. #FirebirdThings.

Firebirds are great but they just require so much more energy. I find FD3's to be more useful overall.

100% agree. I throw the FB hard. I have a lot more room to work with on the FD3.

Last edited:
Not sure about them taking more energy, but the FD3 IME is much more useful to my game. broomerang bags them both and used them both for slightly different things, says there are certain ways that you can throw FBs that you can't throw the FD3. I personally have my DB2, a C-line(glow) and that's all the variance I need. I say it's a personal preference. I will be the guy with FD3s over FBs for ever.

The latest color glow flat top FBs are VERY close to DBs. Straight with a good late fade. I was surprised. Almost seems like they made regular FBs into sexybirds...

I currently have a c line FD3 it's really awesome. However I really like the s line plastic, and was wondering which version people like best. I know the two current ones (Bottom Stamp Triumph and Doombird 2) are easy to find.

I currently have a c line FD3 it's really awesome. However I really like the s line plastic, and was wondering which version people like best. I know the two current ones (Bottom Stamp Triumph and Doombird 2) are easy to find.

DB2 kicks ass! It's an awesome disc. Triumph series is good too nearly Identical, the plastic on mine os a little bit more stiff than my DB2 but is identical in flight my bottom stamp is a back-up. I carry the DB2 which is starting to season and a Glow C line and it's really stable. Both are great. I prefer star and star type plastics over all in most molds for the grip however my glow c is grippy.

DB2 kicks ass! It's an awesome disc. Triumph series is good too nearly Identical, the plastic on mine os a little bit more stiff than my DB2 but is identical in flight my bottom stamp is a back-up. I carry the DB2 which is starting to season and a Glow C line and it's really stable. Both are great. I prefer star and star type plastics over all in most molds for the grip however my glow c is grippy.

I definitely love the stamp! Wish the didn't make the second run with more dome. I almost always prefer flatter discs. Guy on eBay has like 10+ first runs for sale, but is asking $70 a piece. Not willing to drop that kinda money. I'll have to try the DB2 out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely love the stamp! Wish the didn't make the second run with more dome. I almost always prefer flatter discs. Guy on eBay has like 10+ first runs for sale, but is asking $70 a piece. Not willing to drop that kinda money. I'll have to try the DB2 out.

Not dropping $70 on a thrower either. Chexk out the C line glow. If there's a brick and mortar retailer near you then you can feel them up. My local store had an entire shelf and they were all flat. My DB2 is a bit domey; but it's not uncomfortable on a FH throw.

Not all the DB1 were flat anyway and the guy is asking way too much. I sold some earlier this year for a little under 30 new. I am not surprised that people buy them though. Discmania tends to attract the folks willing to spend insane amounts for discs.

The DB2 throws great. They don't have that much dome and fly almost the same. Glow FD3 are the most OS followed closely by C-Line. I put a list ranking them a few pages back in this thread.

Not all the DB1 were flat anyway and the guy is asking way too much. I sold some earlier this year for a little under 30 new. I am not surprised that people buy them though. Discmania tends to attract the folks willing to spend insane amounts for discs.

The DB2 throws great. They don't have that much dome and fly almost the same. Glow FD3 are the most OS followed closely by C-Line. I put a list ranking them a few pages back in this thread.

Yeah I've been playing about 8 months and have gotten super into disc golf. And I've noticed Discmania is a super popular collector friendly company it seems. They've been my favorite brand I've tried so far. Love my c line fd3, but wish it was a little softer like my other s line discs. Wish they had a stock s line. Although it is cool to support pros, and the artwork is nice.

Off season testing.

Was out on the course testing FH's with my Doombird (first run), a Z Machete & a Champion Firebird. It was a no contest win for the FD3 for usefulness. Time & time again I was placing the FD3 where I wanted with less effort. On precise FH's where I need to hit a straight line & have a strong fade the FD3 kept going further. The Machete & Firebird both just kept dumping hard to the ground where the Doombird would actually carry far right.

It just has the right amount of overstability & flight that make it so accurate & dependable.

Maybe adjust your release angle in your next round of unbiased testing.

Ever felt or thrown an FD3? How could you test one in an unbiased way? JK but for real I do believe for the purpose stated by stable the FD3 is the best choice. With that stated; I don't think the Machete is even an appropriate disc to test against and FD3/FB.

Ever felt or thrown an FD3? How could you test one in an unbiased way? JK but for real I do believe for the purpose stated by stable the FD3 is the best choice. With that stated; I don't think the Machete is even an appropriate disc to test against and FD3/FB.

I have 2 FD3s. Tried bagging a MF for a while and prefer the Firebird for utility OS fairway/control shots.

Truth of the matter is I've thrown the FB for about a year and a half and it's what I've become familiar with. The FD3 didn't have quite the hookup that I was looking for. I have PDs approaching FB stability if I want something a little more mellow. I'm actually bagging a new embossed S PD in this slot currently trying to beat some fade out of it.

All a matter of preference obviously. In my personal unbiased testing, I prefer the Firebird. 👍

I have 2 FD3s. Tried bagging a MF for a while and prefer the Firebird for utility OS fairway/control shots.

Truth of the matter is I've thrown the FB for about a year and a half and it's what I've become familiar with. The FD3 didn't have quite the hookup that I was looking for. I have PDs approaching FB stability if I want something a little more mellow. I'm actually bagging a new embossed S PD in this slot currently trying to beat some fade out of it.

All a matter of preference obviously. In my personal unbiased testing, I prefer the Firebird. 👍

FB is a fantastic disc!

Maybe adjust your release angle in your next round of unbiased testing.

With the Machete, I did try and throw on flat and slight anhyzer releases. I tried snapping with more power. I tried screaming 'Hadouken!' during my release. Each time the stubborn Z Machete kept wanting to pull right way too soon & to the ground.

Probably an issue of just needing to beat the newness out of it. :wall:

How do fd3s compare to felons? Anybody have experience with both? Somebody has probably already asked, but I didn't feel like scrolling forever. [emoji28]

How do fd3s compare to felons? Anybody have experience with both? Somebody has probably already asked, but I didn't feel like scrolling forever. [emoji28]

FD3 kicked the Felon from my bag in early '18. It would cover the same slot if you were to abandon trilogy. IME FD3 feels and flies better my felon was a bit more OS new then it broke in quick as trilogy plastic does and wasn't what I hoped for. Got the FD3 on a whim (I saw a pretty pink C line) and it was money. Less stable than a FB more than a broken in Felon; and when the FD3 starts to break in you got a real money disc man. Try one.

Anyone use hot water to flat top a Doombird 2? A friend of mine gave me one he doesn't throw, but it's very domey. I was wondering the stability/glide effect of flattening it.

I would not do it. Even had someone done it succesfully, it does not mean yours will turn out the same. I personally try to avoid PDGA illegal discs. Just because. Sell it or trade it for a flatter one.

Nebulous illegality aside, I have other options for tournament play, the vast majority of my rounds are not PDGA sanctioned.

It really is a poorly written rule. Heck, Innova has a machine they run Rocs through to get them flat. All discs are going to have variances in run to run, as long as you're not adding/removing or messing with the wing shape you aren't moving the disc outside of the natural variation of the flight pattern.

Latest posts