• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

^from that article... LOL'
I think the community's lack of acceptance of these companies has created a monopoly for Discraft," he said. "I love Discraft, but the problem is that discs are the sport's only equipment and our best opportunity for endemic sponsorship money. By swearing allegience to Discraft, we've basically shot ourselves in the foot from what is potentially a great source of revenue that won't require making any changes that we don't want to make as a sport."

discvote.jpg

The informal tally of votes for "official UPA disc"

Last edited:
does anybody have any real numbers to dispute this? ive read this several times and im starting to believe that a handful of the last times i read this were people who also read the original post, and are now just repeating it.
Discraft is a private company; they don't release sales numbers becasue they don't have to, so it's a guess. From what I've heard from people who have been in their warehouse, it may not be 90% but it's easily > 50%.

Last edited:
Discraft has been taking over my bag over the past year. I used to be all Innova just because they are very popular in my state and supply most of the plastic for all the tournaments I play. My only real issue with Discraft is that I want them to make a Ti Zone and bring back the Ti Wasp (in BRIGHT colors). I would like to see some official Discraft 'In the bag' videos. I would like to see them make some MJ t-shirts and do more to get that guy out on tour more across the country. I saw they gave MJ some unique Comets to get him to Worlds.

i gotta give it to emac for being a stand-up guy when discraft gave the ti-buzzz to nate doss (who if i recall didn't even have any type of buzzz in his bag at the time) :thmbdown:

sadly, this was after emac had WON a world title with it in his bag and was always singing it's praises. emac got the buzzz-ss instead. :|

imagine the royalty differential (if royalties were involved) on those two molds.

on a more upbeat note, the discraft zone is one sick, bad a$$ed disc that has tons of copycats trying to figure it out.

i gotta give it to emac for being a stand-up guy when discraft gave the ti-buzzz to nate doss (who if i recall didn't even have any type of buzzz in his bag at the time) :thmbdown:

sadly, this was after emac had WON a world title with it in his bag and was always singing it's praises. emac got the buzzz-ss instead. :|

imagine the royalty differential (if royalties were involved) on those two molds.
Considering the problems associated with the Ti plastic, I doubt it was as big as some might think.

One of the smartest marketing strategies I've seen in disc golf is discrafts ace races. Brilliant, fun, and brand building. Vibram and trilogy are trying to mimic its success.

I don't know how it is in your area, but here people are actually more interested in the Birdie Bash and Trilogy Challenge than the Ace Race. This is mostly because the past three out of four years have seen Discraft release prototypes that are not Ace Race friendly. The Hornet, Zombee, and Mantis were essentially just everyone trying to power down hyzer at everything 150' away. And the Birdie Bash and Trilogy Challenge offer some variety to their events. Not two of the same disc and a couple rounds of pitching at baskets.

Geez, I rarely post on here but I wanted to mention a few things. Discraft had a team management change this year so some things have changed a bit. They have recently brought on some new team members and they are also focusing on a Juniors team from my understanding. I have played with Discraft for probably 15 years or more and they have always treated me with the utmost respect. Thank you for that!!

I would also agree with someone who posted earlier about the number of discs out on the market. How many do you want and if someone continually pushes out 5 discs per year, will you complain that they are putting out junk? Throw what you like and be happy. Discraft has the most consistent plastic and always has IMO. How do you improve a Buzzz or Force or Nuke, etc.

Continue on with the discussion now! :)

"back in the day" I watched many a DC instructional videos and threw their discs from the wildcat, impact, flash, crush and all the normal stuff too with lots of great molds, solid plastics, then DGA which has killer models to compliment their line up.

On the DG Answer Man video Emac responded to a question basically saying they need to do more for their players and in general. He didn't get into it much being they have 10 years of history together but I am on his side on feel like this company his missing out.

Central Coast Disc Golf (CCDG) Has done more IMO to promote Peter McBride who is a hell of a player and I believe recently gone to legacy. Its a shame a company with such a history isn't trying to capitalize on the market that's here. People still are talking about the antique comet on this site!

Going back to the OP, since this thread was started by a major MVP advocate, I have to ask... what does MVP do in terms of marketing that Discraft (or others) should emulate? MVP makes no videos, they don't sponsor any players who play competitively, they don't have a CFR program that I know of, they don't seem to back any events of any kind... basically MVP does zero to support the disc golf community. All they do is send some discs to a few heavy forum users and count on them to gush about how fantastic the discs are and/or post vids of themselves repeatedly throwing massive hyzer shots on wide open courses. This seems to work suprisingly well and it costs MVP absolutely nothing. It's pretty damn brilliant if you think about it.

One has to wonder if Discraft hasn't realized that supporting touring pros/tournaments/clubs/etc is a waste of $$$ based on what MVP is doing...

More discs in disc golf is not a bad thing.. Look at the #1 in the game and get back to me on # of molds lol.....

INNOVA HAS MORE OOP MODELS THAN THESE NEW COMPANIES BEING COMPARED HAVE ENTIRE LINE-UPS! Again, this thread is not about the discs but rather their presence which does include making new models but there is a lot more to that. MVP has put out discs at a almost prolific rate lately compared to some of the smaller companies who have been around as long and can't say any of them are junk at all lol.. They will have put out 5 discs by the end of the next month between TWO DIFFERENT ENTITIES and pretty sure Latitude 64 is doing the same. Latitude has been doing this actually since they really got a leg up in USA market and its done nothing but pay off for them.

Discraft can be an ultimate Frisbee company all day long but I can promise they wont be a disc golf one in the future which matters like they did 3 years ago.

Going back to the OP, since this thread was started by a major MVP advocate, I have to ask... what does MVP do in terms of marketing that Discraft (or others) should emulate? MVP makes no videos, they don't sponsor any players who play competitively, they don't have a CFR program that I know of, they don't seem to back any events of any kind... basically MVP does zero to support the disc golf community. All they do is send some discs to a few heavy forum users and count on them to gush about how fantastic the discs are and/or post vids of themselves repeatedly throwing massive hyzer shots on wide open courses. This seems to work suprisingly well and it costs MVP absolutely nothing. It's pretty damn brilliant if you think about it.

One has to wonder if Discraft hasn't realized that supporting touring pros/tournaments/clubs/etc is a waste of $$$ based on what MVP is doing...

Let me answer this really simple... MVP doesn't have 30 years of disc sports behind them to do much of anything besides build a brand'

They are a disc golf manufacture and make it possible for anyone to get in the disc golf business. I have sold TONS of MVP plastic (as a retailer) in the past few months and it does nothing but grow the sport. Do you know MikeC? The OP you quote isn't about supporting touring pros.

Last edited:
Not to mention the OP doesnt have anything to do with the smaller brands. We are talking 30+ years of disc sports which feels almost 10 years old..

OOH WAIT 10 ANIVERSERY BUZZZ WAS THE BIGGEST HIT YET RECENTLY! ...weird'

When Wham-O Was King: Why The Innova V. Discraft Debate Is Old News

In the 1980s, Wham-O reigned supreme. But the current discussion over Innova and Discraft seems to assume that Discraft has always been the #1 -- and frankly only -- Ultimate disc. This historical perspective shows how today's discussion sounds a lot like the one in the early '90s.

http://ultiworld.com/2013/03/18/when-wham-o-was-king-why-the-innova-v-discraft-debate-is-old-news/

Thanks for sharing this. The Ultrastar is what sets Discraft apart from every other brand mentioned in this thread because none of them have a strong foothold in the Ultimate game. I never put much thought into how that disc essentially became the de facto disc for Ultimate, so it was great to see the history behind it all.

It would be interesting to the see the numbers on it though. Discraft can't just sit back and ride the Ultimate market to keep things afloat, especially if Innovas Pulsar takes off. DG is growing, I'm guessing Ultimate is still growing as well, so there's plenty of potential for DC to step it up again.

jeez that was only a few days ago! I bet MJ wishes he would have had a chance at that 300 ft shot with a comet! the article said the closest of the 10 people who tried got 60 ft away with a comet. surely MJ could have outdone that.

Latest posts