• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for My Beginner Sister (Age 20)

Nived87

My sister's birthday is in June. She'll be 20 years old. I'm thinking about getting her a couple of discs for her birthday, but I'm not sure what to get.

Last summer she went out to the course with me a few times and seemed to enjoy herself. She just threw some of the discs from my bag, but I don't remember which ones. I'd like to get her into the sport, but I don't know how seriously she'll take it. She needs some discs that will be fun and easy to throw for a beginner.

I was thinking about getting her a mid-range and a putter. What should I get her? I was thinking maybe a Pro D Buzzz and a DX Aviar. What weights would be good? I'm thinking less than 160g.

I'd love to hear the opinions of some female players as well.

A nice neutral midrange like a d buzz or dx shark in a fairly low weight like 160 is a great driver for a beginning player like that. Any of the standard putters 165-170 will work fine (aviar, wizard, challenger etc.). When she's ready for a driver, a 150 cheetah or cyclone is a great place to start. (this is advice from the experience of teaching my girlfriend to play, she's throwing close to 300' and just won intermediate women at bowling green ams)

Discraft x stratus. Beat beginner disc of all time.

Side note - a friend and I just played kensington black locust and shot under par with just a stratus... From the longs. :hfive:

Yep, can't go wrong with the standard duo of neutral mid and standard putter. I would actually suggest staying about 150 class with these, as I know noobs that have had problems with slow discs like that in that low of weight. 160s should do just fine as mash said.

I would give her a X Comet or Stratus fo sho. I think the putter doesn't really matter that much. Something beadless with may be best, aviar pna or somethin like that.

I would give her a X Comet or Stratus fo sho. I think the putter doesn't really matter that much. Something beadless with may be best, aviar pna or somethin like that.

Are you suggesting the Comet and Stratus because they are a little understable? Is that better for a beginner?

The Stratus is listed as a driver, but looks like a mid-range. Is it controllable enough for a beginner at slow speeds?

Yep. They don't have to put much power behind them to get them to actually fly. A more stable disc can be discouraging to newer players in my experience because of the hard fade and lack of distance.

The Comet would be my first suggestion. The lower stability and glide that it has makes it a great disc for newer players. It will also help the new player to learn how to throw flat since it holds lines well at lower speeds. I lent one to a buddy I have that just started playing and he loved it.

Pro-D Buzzz & your choice of putter. I'd do an Anode but not everybody likes that putter. Buzzz forsure though.

I'd go as understable as possible. Aviar P&A and DX Stingray, for example. Pro D Magnet and X Comet, etc.

That said, I wouldn't go lightweight, especially in the putter. Might go 170 or 165 in the mid, but it shouldn't be necessary if the mold and plastic type are truly understable.

does she forehand too? if so get a dx aviar, pro d buzzz and a dx teebird 165.

What are your guys thoughts on Blizzard for women? my girlfriend actually did fairly decent with my Valkarie and seemed to really like it, so I may get her one of those. Mine was a 172 Pro, but I'm thinking a 155ish Champ Valk would do her quite nicely...

Maybe I'll also get her a Buzzz for mid/putting. She likes to only have 2 discs.

If I had to use exactly two discs, I'd probably go with DX Aviar P&A (Classic Aviar), and a champ teebird. That's because I can both backhand and forehand, and I can hyzer skip, spike hyzer, and flex the teebird in a pinch. But I'd really miss my flippable leopards. I loooooove to hyzer flip those leopards. Starting out, I flipped DX Stingrays. They will school a lady on hyzer flipping. They are a lot flippier out of the box than leopards. so it's tough for me to recommend a two disc bag. Three disc bag is easy though. I could play and win a tournament with a DX Aviar, Champ Teebird, and DX Leopard. That said, I could probably win a tournament with putter and teebird, or all putter. ;-)

Last edited: