• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Discs with late turn?

krooster

Birdie Member
The Discraft Sting is understable but somehow it starts turning late and keeps turning.

Are there any understable putters or mids that do this?

You might try a Discraft Glide or Innova Panther. Both are flippy mids that will hold the high speed turn pretty much throughout flight.

If you want a driver that does this, try the Discraft Heat. Mellow turn with almost no late fade.

Leopard3. Dave Dunipace mentioned the late turn in one of his videos. And then I experienced it for myself on my home course.

You might try a Discraft Glide or Innova Panther. Both are flippy mids that will hold the high speed turn pretty much throughout flight.

If you want a driver that does this, try the Discraft Heat. Mellow turn with almost no late fade.

I'm not looking for something that will hold the turn throughout the flight, I'm looking for something that will hold a pretty straight line during the high speed portion of the flight and then as it slows down start to turn and hold the turn.

I'm not looking for something that will hold the turn throughout the flight, I'm looking for something that will hold a pretty straight line during the high speed portion of the flight and then as it slows down start to turn and hold the turn.

Honestly I find that this flight is achieved by discs that turn during the whole flight, and you just have to release them with some hyzer so it appears that they are not turning during the first 1/2 of flight because they are just getting up to flat...then they keep turning and actually go to the right afterwards. I've never thrown any disc that goes straight then turns, but I can get that flight with release angle manipulation.

Honestly I find that this flight is achieved by discs that turn during the whole flight, and you just have to release them with some hyzer so it appears that they are not turning during the first 1/2 of flight because they are just getting up to flat...then they keep turning and actually go to the right afterwards. I've never thrown any disc that goes straight then turns, but I can get that flight with release angle manipulation.

This is what I thought before I tried a Sting...

My Elite-X Comet does this especially if I smoothly power it up.

this is right on

Yea I use a beat mcpro Roc3 on hyzer and let it keep turning over. Stays "strait" until it goes past flat and continues to turn. I would agree not every understable disc does this, I remember throwing panthers and they turned really fast, but it's gotta be more release angle then the mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I agree. I don't bag anything that I can rip flat, and it rides for a while then turns. Not my Rocs or Leo's. Gotta lather on some of that sweet hyza butta.

Pretty sure physics do not allow for the type of flight path you are talking about. The only reason a disc thrown flat would start turning late like that is if a headwind picked up mid flight. Mambas appear to do this for me tho, so screw science!

Pretty sure physics do not allow for the type of flight path you are talking about. The only reason a disc thrown flat would start turning late like that is if a headwind picked up mid flight. Mambas appear to do this for me tho, so screw science!

Mambas for me do what almost every other understable disc do, turn at the beginning then fade at the end.

I wouldn't have believed it before I threw a Sting, but it really does have very little turn for about half of its flight and then it starts turning later. It's seriously magical. I'm a noodle arm so I'm sure bigger arms would have different experience, but I have thrown many other understable discs and none of them do this. All require a hyzerflip to get that kind of flight.

The only disc I've previously read anyone describe having this kind of flight is a Leopard3, but I can't get enough speed on a new Leopard3 for it to be actually understable.

I wouldn't have believed it before I threw a Sting, but it really does have very little turn for about half of its flight and then it starts turning later. It's seriously magical. I'm a noodle arm so I'm sure bigger arms would have different experience, but I have thrown many other understable discs and none of them do this. All require a hyzerflip to get that kind of flight.

Another Sting success story :clap:

The only disc I've previously read anyone describe having this kind of flight is a Leopard3, but I can't get enough speed on a new Leopard3 for it to be actually understable.

I've never thrown a Sting so I can't comment on if that disc handles the HSS a bit different. But I do find that some discs flip early in the HSS, then hold, then want to fade at the end...they can't achieve this shape no matter the release angle. Others like a beat in Leo or Sidewinder will turn for the whole flight and not really fade until the very end, if they have enough height...these discs will be able to seem like they have a late turn if you start them with hyzer. I realize you understand this, but I'm just clarifying for anyone else.

I do think beat in neutral mids/putters do this a bit easier, like a beat Aviar or Roc/Comet, since the turn is so slow and they rely on glide to get distance, so even just the slightest wing down halfway through flight will carry it right at the end of the flight to the ground. Getting into fairways and faster it is extremely arm speed dependent, and release angle matters a ton...way harder to execute and different people will have preferences for sure. If you're looking for a mid, look for a flat-ish Comet, plastic doesn't matter. Likely ESP as they are often flatter, but if you get one with more shoulder to it, it will be more neutral-straight.