• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does it count?

rwmurrow

Birdie Member
I had my first ace today just like this, I've seen this discussed but not in poll form. It would be cool to see the numbers.

You threw the disc to the basket, that's always fun. I wouldn't count that as an ace, since it wasn't a hole in ONE.

edit: cubby!

Shaolintrained said:
Sounds like you pulled a "Cubby" :)
LOL!
It looks like most of his aces are on the Rutgers Campus course. Anyone ever play this course?
I have, about 15 times. It is SUPER short with a few trees (that barely come into play on some holes). If my memory is working properly, hole 9 is 90 feet long with no trees between the tee and the basket.

Well, let me pose this question:

I am at the practice field about 200 ft from my basket. I am taking practice shots at the basket, and I nail a 200ft shot with my Champ Cobra. Is that an Ace or just a cool practice shot? The part that really sucks is that nobody saw it.

Count as what? If you aren't in a tournament, nothing "counts" as anything but practice. I couldn't honestly care less what anyone counts as an ace. I don't really see what the big deal is.

If you throw from the tee into the basket it's an ace. You don't have to be scoring, and it's no less impressive or difficult if it happens on the 90th shot instead of the 1st.

I might pat myself on the back, but I wouldn't call it an ace. I certainly wouldn't ask anyone to sign my disc. Its just like in casual play if you doink a birdie putt, and then throw a second putt from the same lie and make it, you don't count that as a birdie. You get to correct what you did wrong on the previous throw(s), so it doesn't exactly seem fair to call it a "hole in one".

I'm kind of relieved, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought I'd open it and see a picture of a disc stuck in the side of the basket.

I voted no.

Solbo said:
Technically, it's a "mulligan Ace", yes you did hit it from the tee, however, it's not an "ace"

I'm in this boat. If it doesn't count as a 1 on your "scorecard" - even in a practice round, you're keeping score, not "best shots", so if it's not a one, it's not a true ace. But if you threw it from the Tee and it went in, it's an "ace shot".

I've only had a few "aces" and I don't count these as aces. They're great to talk about because it's still a great shot, but for me, I've only had 1 real ace. The others were mulligan aces.

Oh, and I do think there's a difference between throwing a shot and thinking "wow, that was close, I wonder if I can do better?" Throwing a second and it goes in vs setting up camp and throwing at the hole until one goes in. While the skill is still there, you really do get a chance to sort of hone in on what you need. Still doesn't make it an ace, but I'll give anybody 2 shots at a basket and the odds of one going in from the tee are still pretty slim.

Since this is a kind of pointless discussion to begin with, I will up the ante with another scenario, with the potential for more gray area:

You arrive with a few friends to the first disc golf course of the day, out of several planned. Instead of warming up putting or throwing discs in the field to limber up, you proceed to the first tee. Everyone tees off twice, to kind of get in the flow of throwing. Your first shot was thrown not knowing the line to take to get to the basket. Your second shot was taken after seeing one of the other golfers throw the appropriate line. Your second shot goes in.

Do you tell yourself it's an ace?

Eric O said:
Since this is a kind of pointless discussion to begin with, I will up the ante with another scenario, with the potential for more gray area:

You arrive with a few friends to the first disc golf course of the day, out of several planned. Instead of warming up putting or throwing discs in the field to limber up, you proceed to the first tee. Everyone tees off twice, to kind of get in the flow of throwing. Your first shot was thrown not knowing the line to take to get to the basket. Your second shot was taken after seeing one of the other golfers throw the appropriate line. Your second shot goes in.

Do you tell yourself it's an ace?

Nope, I'd tell myself great practice shot though. Would you count a second putt? Same thing, doesn't count. But it's still a good shot though.

TLapham said:
Nope, I'd tell myself great practice shot though.
Well, yes it would be a great practice shot. The thing about this scenario is that it is not in a tournament setting and there are no other stakes on the line, so the entire day of golf is made up of one practice shot after another, you could say. So designating it into the category of practice shot doesn't do anything for me one way or another.

At any rate, I have you down for the record as a "no". Thanks for answering.

Good shot, not an ace IMO.
I have 8 witnessed first shot aces and probably twice that in solo round or second shots that I wouldn't think of counting.

During the summer, my local course gets dry and unless you throw a spike hyzer, that ace run that misses the basket goes 75' past. I'll take a sure bird over a possible ace anyday!

Latest posts