• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does Plastic Throw Farther When Cold?

itsRudy

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
This is probably a stupid question...

I didn't play for a month since it's all wet and muddy. This morning was nice and frozen so I got in an early round at a course I play at least 100x. It's like 20f and my discs are always in my car trunk, parked outside.

Was a lousy aiming day and hitting all kinds of stuff. Threw a disc straight and it hit a tree which bounced it way lefter than ever. I got close to the stream on the left dozens of times over 4 years but this time it went 20 feet further and actually into the water for the first time.

After hitting other things on the course, I just figured the cold is making the plastic more rigid and better at bouncing off.

But at several holes I threw markedly farther than normal and hit personal records twice by about 20-25ft, probably because they were straighter shots with less fade than normal? *shrugs* Sometimes this increased distance also happens after I stopped playing for a while but I'm wondering if the cold affects it in some weird way, maybe with spin? Idk.

I was playing with my usual discs.

Does hot or low temps have any other effects?

This question comes up most winters, the colder the air, the denser the air, so in general, discs fly farther the warmer it is.

From Wikipedia: Air density, like air pressure, decreases with increasing altitude. It also changes with variation in atmospheric pressure, temperature and humidity.

Distance contests are held at elevation during warmer seasons.

With the addition of bigger boots, more layers of clothing, snow/ice on the ground, salt on the tee pads, decreased footing, cold hands, and a generally stiffer and less warmed up body.....I am not sure I ever had this question, lol.

I didn't play for a month

That's why. I've seen this mentioned before and I've experienced it as well. I think it happens more to people that play a lot of "rounds". By taking some time off you're allowing your muscles to fully recover. The trick is to fully understand technically what happened (with your body, form, etc) and then harness that on demand in the future. I've seen on more than one occasion recommendations to only play full rounds 2 days a week and the rest of the week work on putting, shots, etc, etc. Maybe the idea is to keep your arm fresh and not in a state of borderline over use. ?

Probably a combination of additional skip on the frozen ground and discs flying closer to the rated speed (I'm guessing you don't throw 400+ normally). The denser air will give you more glide and less/later fade if that is a normal issue (which is with most).

Discs are stiffer cold so they will deflect harder/further as well.

I feel like I lose up to 50' by throwing in cold weather vs. hot. Part of the problem with throwing in cold is that your body isn't as loose, and you probably aren't getting a perfect grip on the disc.

I also feel like discs just don't fly as well in very cold air. They glide less and fade out earlier.

All my longest throws come when the temps start climbing above 80.

Being in a place like CO, I see all temperatures. I've played and thrown a ton in both hold and very cold weather.

I would guess that the month off was good for you, for whatever reason. You probably just throw further now :)

Aerodynamically, I'm not sure. The higher air density will increase drag, but also increase lift.

With the addition of bigger boots, more layers of clothing, snow/ice on the ground, salt on the tee pads, decreased footing, cold hands, and a generally stiffer and less warmed up body.....I am not sure I ever had this question, lol.

LOL. I'm not exaggerating when I say it'll have to be below -10f (non-windy) or 15f (windy) before I wear something more than my summer T-shirt/pants for this very reason. A winter cap and gloves can help a lot before all that other bulk, at least for me.

LOL. I'm not exaggerating when I say it'll have to be below -10f (non-windy) or 15f (windy) before I wear something more than my summer T-shirt/pants for this very reason. A winter cap and gloves can help a lot before all that other bulk, at least for me.

I live in Michigan and play in cold weather. You are right, once you get moving, it does not take a lot of clothes to stay warm. But once it gets below freezing, I usually go to long pants, a long sleeve base layer and a fleece vest. A little colder will earn a another long sleeve shirt. I don't really use gloves (pockets with hand warmers) and have a pretty good head of hair that allows me to avoid a knit hat. But, even those small changes make a difference, for sure.