• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Doubles Tournaments...what to do to make even more fun!

I was also thinking of holding a best shot contest. Like a skateboarding best trick contest, everyone gets to choose one particular shot they want to show off whether it's sinking a 100 foot putt or hitting a 450' anhyzer line perfectly, then everyone votes on who's shot was the most badass. No idea how well it would work for DG but it sounded fun to me.

Wouldn't some not bring a woman on purpose?

Oh and how does the tranny rule apply here? ;)

Blind folds. Your partner has to verbally direct your aim.

That is exactly what I was thinking. You can align your blindfolded player and verbally direct him directions ect.
You could have a drawing and each team picks the hole they have to do the blindfold alternating shots.
I think this would be hilarious.:hfive:

That is exactly what I was thinking. You can align your blindfolded player and verbally direct him directions ect.
You could have a drawing and each team picks the hole they have to do the blindfold alternating shots.
I think this would be hilarious.:hfive:

The idea sounds like fun but it also sounds like it would take forever. :(

We've done this before, and has been a lot of fun......best score. Each team plays as singles, and can even be put on different holes so that they do not know how their partner is doing. How this works is each partner plays the course and writes down their score per hole. At the end of the round your score as a team is written as the best score for each hole. For example, you get a 4 on hole 1, your partner gets a 5, your team score is a 4. I've played it both ways, where the team is together, so that you know how your partner is playing, which sometimes is good, because say they griplock their drive and go deep in the woods, you know to maybe take some off to stay safe, or switch to a more predictable or safe disc. And then I've played it the other way, where team mates are on different holes, so that one another doesn't know how it's going.
If you are doing random draw doubles, this also is an awesome format. Everyone plays as singles, then at the end, you draw who your partner is. Then you each take your score per hole, and write down the best score.

I always thought worst shot would be a lot of fun...I was wrong. Especially when you're the one going OB twice on one hole.

Alternate shot is also a lot of fun, and a lot more challenging than people realize, especially if you have a righty/lefty team, or one that is forehand dominate, while the other is backhand. The best format for alternate is that it does NOT start over each hole, but continues until the round is complete.

I've also seen this done, but never at a fun doubles event, but it would be fun......on designated holes, have an action from Ript posted on the teepad that both groups must do. For example, both groups must throw their putter as their driver, and putt with their driver, throw a thumber from the teepad, throw with their opposite hand off the teepad, etc..... That way you can customize what would be difficult, but fun for each hole, or just do it for say 4 or 6 holes, and play the other regular.

I always thought worst shot would be a lot of fun...I was wrong. Especially when you're the one going OB twice on one hole.

The adage is that playing Best Shot will test your teamwork....
playing Worst Shot will test your friendship.

Here's an idea, if you've got the right course:

Best shot or best score, but instead of stroke play, a different scoring system:

1 Point for every Birdie
5 Points for every Ace (or Eagle, on longer courses)

This would be a whole day of "going for it"---trying to nail ridiculously long putts, not having to play out bad holes at all. And even if you've fallen behind, an Ace would instantly propel you back into contention, so it's an ace-run to the end.

Oh, and it would be much quicker without playing out holes beyond the 2nd shot. Miss the birdie, pick up and move on to the next hole.