• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intro and Any Suggestions on Progressing

QTipPoker

I just started enjoying disc golf after my son introduced me to it. Now I've joined the DGN and love watching every event. So I've gotten started on my own journey now :)

It's been about a month of throwing for me.

I live in Costa Rica, and there are only 3 courses in the country. The closest is 9 holes and an hour drive, so I've only been able to play a couple times so far. However, I go out to a field and throw discs pretty often now.

I purchases 4 starter kits, lost some, so I have these:

Diamond Driver
Escape Fairway
Saint Fairway
Pearl Mid
Fuse Mid
Shark Mid
Ruby Putter
Keystone Putter
P1 Maniac Putter
Judge Putter

I have a basket arriving in about a week so I can practice putting in my yard.

About 2 weeks ago I learned I should let the disc snap out of my hand instead of letting it go (unless putting or close approach shots). I've watched dozens of hours of videos on backhand form and video taped myself throwing many times to compare it to what I've learned.

However, I fall in the category I see here (and youtube comments) in which my putter pretty much goes the same distance as every other discs. i throw about 200 to 250 with the putters. From time to time I'll get a mid to go 280 or so, but that's about it. I'm 47 year-old male in decent shape with no injuries.

I don't bother with a run up anymore because my throw is less accurate and it typically doesn't add distance. My putter I use a fan grip and let it snap out. I'm quite accurate with it, so I typically just use a putter when I play.

In terms of progressing, I can only think to:

1. Practice putting
2. Try to get critique on my throwing so I can change things. I saw something here about submitting videos so others can comment on the form, but I don't see where to do that.

Any other ideas on the path forward?

I think you're doing great for only a month playing; the distances you are throwing are just fine - you'll get more as you keep playing. Once you get the basket in your yard you'll really start improving as you practice more & more. Good luck & have fun.

I just started enjoying disc golf after my son introduced me to it. Now I've joined the DGN and love watching every event. So I've gotten started on my own journey now :)

It's been about a month of throwing for me.

I live in Costa Rica, and there are only 3 courses in the country. The closest is 9 holes and an hour drive, so I've only been able to play a couple times so far. However, I go out to a field and throw discs pretty often now.

I purchases 4 starter kits, lost some, so I have these:

Diamond Driver
Escape Fairway
Saint Fairway
Pearl Mid
Fuse Mid
Shark Mid
Ruby Putter
Keystone Putter
P1 Maniac Putter
Judge Putter

I have a basket arriving in about a week so I can practice putting in my yard.

About 2 weeks ago I learned I should let the disc snap out of my hand instead of letting it go (unless putting or close approach shots). I've watched dozens of hours of videos on backhand form and video taped myself throwing many times to compare it to what I've learned.

However, I fall in the category I see here (and youtube comments) in which my putter pretty much goes the same distance as every other discs. i throw about 200 to 250 with the putters. From time to time I'll get a mid to go 280 or so, but that's about it. I'm 47 year-old male in decent shape with no injuries.

I don't bother with a run up anymore because my throw is less accurate and it typically doesn't add distance. My putter I use a fan grip and let it snap out. I'm quite accurate with it, so I typically just use a putter when I play.

In terms of progressing, I can only think to:

1. Practice putting
2. Try to get critique on my throwing so I can change things. I saw something here about submitting videos so others can comment on the form, but I don't see where to do that.

Any other ideas on the path forward?

Form forum:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

I have learned a ton from Sidewinder22 (whose advice you should always be happy to take) . IMO he still has the most comprehensive mechanics knowledge and coaching advice of anyone out there. He's like a form reverse engineer. Note that most of his videos were made to supplement discussions on this forum, which is why it can be hard to find a linear path through it sometimes. That's why I'm very grateful to have gotten all of his direct advice.

If you're willing to start by improving standstills, which is often a good idea and has benefitted me immensely, you might start with this video:

I built my Ace It Disc golf series to help consolidate some of what Sidewinder teaches into a linear arc. I'm going to revisit some topics this summer because my movement and knowledge has improved a lot but it might be worth looking at starting out.