• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dress code?

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I've never played in a tournament and I registered for one in the recreational MA3 division, but I'm confused about the dress code.

According to rule 3.04 Dress Code:
B. All competitors and staff are required to wear a shirt.
C. The following dress code for all competitors will be enforced at all PDGA Elite Series/ National Tour and Major Events. The PDGA also recommends that this dress code be enforced at Super Tour and lower tier events, but that decision lies solely with the Tournament Director:
2.All players must wear a shirt covering their upper chest area. A well-tailored shirt with a collar and sleeves covering the upper arm shall be considered acceptable. Tank tops are not allowed for any competitor, but women may wear sleeveless shirts with collars.
3. No tee shirts will be allowed, except for competitors in the Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary rounds. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or v-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed.

Ok, so I have a Discraft "Performance T-Shirt" that claims it is tournament legal, and yeah, it's dry-fit.

So am I to understand that I don't have to have a polo shirt if I wear that shirt because it satisfies the "crew neck shirt made of high-tech materials such as Dry-Fit" exception?

Sorry, I know that's a n00bish question, but I figured someone here could help.

crap, this is totally the wrong forum and should be in the rules one. :doh: sorry!

At B and C tiers, nobody really enforces the dress code anyway. The TD would lose half the players if they made an issue of it.

Never quite understood why a shirt is more appropriate for tourney play just because of the material that it's made of, but whatever.

At B and C tiers, nobody really enforces the dress code anyway. The TD would lose half the players if they made an issue of it.

This is all our first-time tournament player needs. For almost every tournament, any shirt and shoes will suffice. That Section C stuff, including the high-performance materials, is for Majors and NTs and applied virtually nowhere else.

The only exceptions I've ever heard of were tournaments on golf courses---and then, it was more of a plea than a rule.

Never quite understood why a shirt is more appropriate for tourney play just because of the material that it's made of, but whatever.

A t-shirt shows sweat and dirt way more than a higher quality material. It's just an appearance thing in larger events.

Which is ok for women, but not men!?!?!?!?! :|

Which is interesting, since apparently men can wear a skirt. As one did at our recent tournament.

Though he claimed it was a kilt, as if that made a difference.

What's the dress code at a non sanctioned event?

Unless it's at a country club, church retreat, or some real world Pleasantville, just shoes and shorts.

If there aren't stickers, poison ivy or venomous snakes, shoes might be optional too.

If the guy fell down you would know the difference right away. A proper Kilt requires dangling free.......
Which is interesting, since apparently men can wear a skirt. As one did at our recent tournament.

Though he claimed it was a kilt, as if that made a difference.

If the guy fell down you would know the difference right away. A proper Kilt requires dangling free.......

My Players Meeting speech always mentions safety cautions; probably should have included an extra emphasis on trip hazards, just in case.