• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Driver for 330' max arm

There's definitely some art to throwing drivers. Higher speed mids (e.g. Buzzz/Truth) may mimic that better than putters, and fairway drivers are good too. I've said this elsewhere, but I do believe people can overdo the "practice with putters" thing on occasion, without mastering some nose angle and hyzer things that come with practicing with discs in that speed 5-7 range. Buzzz, Teebird, Leopard, and Patriot practice is good practice, even if they aren't putters.

As an aging disc golfer, I've been searching high and low for disc's that match my arm speed and perform how I want them to in a given slot. My usual driver distance is in the 350-375 range for a baseline. I recently discovered poppy top Star Mamba's can go a very long way. Even having a slower arm, I was able to push one out to 430 with some wind assistance. If you're maxing at 330 with a really light scorpius, maybe find yourself a poppy top Star Mamba in the 165-172 range. Trust me, these mamba's have a little more integrity to them and don't turn/burn when thrown.

** I'm making the assumption you're throwing backhand and not forehand **

Last edited:
As an aging disc golfer, I've been searching high and low for disc's that match my arm speed and perform how I want them to in a given slot. My usual driver distance is in the 350-375 range for a baseline. I recently discovered poppy top Star Mamba's can go a very long way. Even having a slower arm, I was able to push one out to 430 with some wind assistance. If you're maxing at 330 with a really light scorpius, maybe find yourself a poppy top Star Mamba in the 165-172 range. Trust me, these mamba's have a little more integrity to them and don't turn/burn when thrown.

** I'm making the assumption you're throwing backhand and not forehand **

Last edited:
What about Paige Shue? She is rarely the longest thrower on her card when I watch FPO coverage, and she forces over fast drivers on an anny release flex line. That's basically the opposite of what most DGCRs recommend. And yet, she keeps the disc in the fairway while playing that way and she has a world title to her name. So would you really tell her she's better off discing down to an Escape?

This observation doesn't invalidate Streets' point at all. Paige is one of the best FPO players in the world, and as such she can get away with this strategy because of her talent level. Ken Griffey Jr had a super wonky batting stance, no hitting coach would ever recommend that a player emulate his style. It obviously worked well for Griffey because he was so talented, but that doesn't mean the Griffey batting stance was a viable technique for others.

This observation doesn't invalidate Streets' point at all. Paige is one of the best FPO players in the world, and as such she can get away with this strategy because of her talent level. Ken Griffey Jr had a super wonky batting stance, no hitting coach would ever recommend that a player emulate his style. It obviously worked well for Griffey because he was so talented, but that doesn't mean the Griffey batting stance was a viable technique for others.

Ken Griffey is frequently cited as having the greatest swing in baseball history. So while I understand the point you are trying to make, I must say you picked about the worst possible example to try to prove it. Vlad Guerrero would have been a much better example.

Is it Eric Oakley that has that wonky driving form? He was giving a class and refused to show his driving form because it's so unusual. Works for him, though.

Ditto that for all the advice here. Good advice for the most part, well meant (for the most part), but there's always what works best for each individual. Makes for better horse racing and more diverse disc selection...

Ken Griffey is frequently cited as having the greatest swing in baseball history. So while I understand the point you are trying to make, I must say you picked about the worst possible example to try to prove it. Vlad Guerrero would have been a much better example.

Lol all I mentioned was his batting stance not swing. Way to move the goalposts.

To the OP, I would do whatever you are most consistent with whether that be a flippy distance driver or the speed 9. If you can keep em both in the fairway regularly it doesn't really matter what you choose

Is it Eric Oakley that has that wonky driving form? He was giving a class and refused to show his driving form because it's so unusual. Works for him, though.

Choakley actually teaches disc golf!? That's the best joke I've heard all day. Thank you!

giphy.gif

Latest posts