• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving practice: TBirds or Valks?

d.ude

Hi all!

I'm looking to buy a half dozen discs or so of a mold so I can really focus on my form.

I've been playing for about 2 years, LHBH, and am really focusing on good form; this site especially made me realize that I strong arm so I'm trying to focus on using my core. I've made progress but have a ways to go.

Right now I throw putters about 200, mids about 250, and drivers about the 300 mark, give or take 20.

Right now my main drivers are a 170ish Champ Orc, high 60s DGA Rogue, 171 DX Katana, and a 171 Star Wraith, all of which I can flip.

So, should I buy Teebirds or Valkyries for practicing? They'll be DX of course :)

300'? Many will recommend you should be taking mids out for practice until you get them out to 300' and leave the drivers at home.

Don't worry. I'm there with you.

if it's DX why not get 5 of each?

if you do wish to practice with a driver the TB may be a better choice as it is slower and, in theory, you should be able to learn better technique with it

I think they start out quite stable though so the Valk might be easier to work with

The mid suggestion aside (which isn't a bad one) I don't know that the Teebird or the valk will be best at your distance for teaching form. Teebird's a little too stable to be able to really help pick out form flaws, and a valk will tend to act more stable given the speed. You might try something a touch flippier and the same speed as a fairway. Maybe a lighter leopard, river, or xl.

Yeah many will tell you no drivers but I disagree. Teebirds are great as well as Valks but I feel a teebird is a better teacher because of the understability of the Valk when it gets up to speed.

FWIW, I carry both in my bag and can put both to 325-350 except the Valk finishes about 20-30' to the right of the teebird.

Gazelles or Cheetahs as for drivers although I'd recommend getting a stack of neutral putters(like KC/JK/BB Aviars) and field practice the hell of them for quicker results.

Fantastic response in hardly any time, thank you! Great community DG has here...

My midrange selection is seriously lacking, I have an Squall SP proline, an ancient, super beat flippy KC Pro Roc, a Champ Gator (still ridiculously overstable), and a Star Shark that seems to quiver and turn over whenever I try to push it.

You aren't really lacking midrange selection, IMO its too many molds and should simplify. I only carry two Mids to the course - two Rocs, one new, one beat.

I'd mix in practice trying to get driving mids out farther and then at the end of the day throw a slow driver 20 or so times just see what your progress is. One problem you can encounter just throwing mids is you start to not focus on the nose angle so you need to keep in mind when throwing mids to keep the nose angle down. That way when you throw drivers at the end of practice you can see how your D is translating.

Teebird. Even if the valks go farther, you'll learn a lot more shots with the Teebird I feel. Plus, the fact that it's slower and may not go as far will also mean you walk less to go pick them up.

I agree with the mids and Gazelle/Cheetah/Cyclone recommendations.

B/w those two, I'd go with the DX Teebirds over the Valks. I don't like faster drivers in DX, they get squirrely pretty fast, plus the Valk is already a step in that direction since it's a bit more understable than the Teebirds.

Teebirds are a little faster than people realize but with DX they'll break in pretty manageable.

Are you looking to improve your form or get max distance? If you are looking to improve your form, then I'd advise throwing putters or mids (the discing down theory).

If you are going for max distance...then I would still advise throwing something slower. Because something is slower, doesn't mean it won't result in the same distance with good form. When I go for max drives - I still turn to the Eagle and TL.

That all said, you can't go wrong with having a Teebird and Valk in the bag (although I would suggest premium plastic on the Valks).

I'd go with the DX Teebirds!

*Spoiler: Cliche to follow.* Practicing putter and mid throws will help you with the drivers as well. Good luck.

vote for the Teebird!! really loving mine as of late, beat heavy star.. i could easily build my bag around the Teebird, such a workable disc that will hold whatever line you put on it..

when i go out and practice form, i just use putters or flippy mid ranges, im startin to get more d on my putters, and also with drivers, putters are really sensitive, so if you can learn how to throw putters on clean hizers, it really helps your form and also helps you with distance when you switch to other faster discs. i wouldnt recomend using a t bird or valk to help you clean up your form. they both start out relitively stable. try something slower and understable

I'd suggest the Valks over the teebirds... and leopards over the valks.

IMHO, hyzer flipping a leapard to a flat, level, 300+ straight line is a better indication of progression.. instead of throwing a teebird on whoknowswhatkindofline to 300+ feet.

teebird for sure

a teeb shouldn't turn over so if you're turning it then you know you are torquing it or rolling your wrist or something. it's a great way to diagnose your throw.

I'd suggest the Valks over the teebirds... and leopards over the valks.

IMHO, hyzer flipping a leapard to a flat, level, 300+ straight line is a better indication of progression.. instead of throwing a teebird on whoknowswhatkindofline to 300+ feet.

this also, is great advice

Latest posts