• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dx Factory Seconds for Middle School Group?

I am a middle school youth pastor (7-8 grade) in southern California and would like to start taking the youth group to play disc golf. I have gotten hooked on the sport over the past year and think it would be great for youth events. I am also considering buying a couple Innova travelers baskets to keep at the church to set up impromptu courses on the campus and take to camps, etc.

Here is my question. I would also like to get some discs to go along with it. Something that is not too expensive and would be good for 11-13 year olds. most of these students will be throwing max distance of 75-150 feet. I was also thinking DX because: 1. They're much cheaper than anything else. (I'm not loaded, so this is important) 2. Middle school students won't be throwing them hard enough to notice a meaningful difference in flight pattern as they wear.

Of these following options, what would you guys recommend? I'm planning on buying 20 (factory seconds will be $105 shipped for 20). Also, any other ideas would be appreciated.

F2 DX Shark 150 class
F2 DX Shark 170-172g
F2 DX Leopard 150 Class
F2 DX Leopard 165-169g (they also have heavier in stock as well)
F2 DX Stingray 170-172

All of these are currently in stock at the factory store (with 20 or more in stock).

What do you guys think?

Some good discs there. Any possibility of some putters instead of the sharks?!

Gateway discs also have very cheap putters too even light weight ones as well for purposes like yours. I would email them directly and see if they can help at all.

Costco carry's a metal basket which is very cheap and easy to assemble/disassemble for a more permanent feel than the canvas targets (not to mention less $)
http://costcocouple.com/park-and-sun-disc-golf-set/

Last edited:
Some good discs there. Any possibility of some putters instead of the sharks?!
http://costcocouple.com/park-and-sun-disc-golf-set/

Unfortunately, the only putters in stock are the Hydras. I've never thrown one, but I'm wary of floating discs since I bought a Wahoo as a curiosity. I did not like it and it left a bad taste in my mouth for floating discs.

I will definitely check out gateway for putter and Costco for baskets.

Were the Costco baskets available online or did you see them in a store somewhere?

J

Ask Legacy for Ghosts and Clutch ! they have some 145-49g Excel Ghosts and some 165ish Protege Clutch ...

Unfortunately, the only putters in stock are the Hydras. I've never thrown one, but I'm wary of floating discs since I bought a Wahoo as a curiosity. I did not like it and it left a bad taste in my mouth for floating discs.

I will definitely check out gateway for putter and Costco for baskets.

Were the Costco baskets available online or did you see them in a store somewhere?

J

I purchased mine at Costco which obviously requires a membership to shop at like Sams Club. I imagine you can find the same name branded basket being sold by someone else online though too' I know lots of people have used gateway for super light weight putters and maybe they can provide a direct contact for you here.

Good point Moose on legacy-- they would be more than happy to help being in CA as well' I think they are out of San Fernando....?

Last edited:
I already have a Costco membership and we have a local store, so i'll have to go see if they have any locally. I just looked at the website, but couldn't find anything.

Talking to Legacy is a great idea. I think their factory is about an hour away from where I am, so maybe I could get some misprints from the factory on the cheap or something along those lines. It would also be a good excuse to go play Sylmar :thmbup:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it!

J

email Gateway and mention you are buying for a school. he gave me a great deal for my school.

I use my DX Stingray to putt on ocassion. It's a little fast compared to most putters (once you know how to snap) but for beginner to intermediate levels, I think it would double well as an understable mid/overall putter and by comparison to understable putters, the Stingray has a bit more resistance to wind flucations.

I'd go heavy on the Stingrays, middle on the Sharks, and both low and high (more lows, high for the athletic and naturally talened) on the Leos.

I am a middle school youth pastor (7-8 grade) in southern California and would like to start taking the youth group to play disc golf. I have gotten hooked on the sport over the past year and think it would be great for youth events. I am also considering buying a couple Innova travelers baskets to keep at the church to set up impromptu courses on the campus and take to camps, etc.

Here is my question. I would also like to get some discs to go along with it. Something that is not too expensive and would be good for 11-13 year olds. most of these students will be throwing max distance of 75-150 feet. I was also thinking DX because: 1. They're much cheaper than anything else. (I'm not loaded, so this is important) 2. Middle school students won't be throwing them hard enough to notice a meaningful difference in flight pattern as they wear.

Of these following options, what would you guys recommend? I'm planning on buying 20 (factory seconds will be $105 shipped for 20). Also, any other ideas would be appreciated.

F2 DX Shark 150 class
F2 DX Shark 170-172g
F2 DX Leopard 150 Class
F2 DX Leopard 165-169g (they also have heavier in stock as well)
F2 DX Stingray 170-172

All of these are currently in stock at the factory store (with 20 or more in stock).

What do you guys think?

Where are you getting that 105 quote from? The innova pro shop will sell 20 factory second dx discs for 96 shipped. It's 6 a disc, free shipping, and at 10+discs 20 percent off. They have all those discs mentioned and some other cheap champ($11)/star($12)/pro($8) which comes to champ($8.8)/star($9.6)/pro($6.4) after the 20% off. Those other plastics will have putters too, like aviars, rhinos, etch. Just a thought. It's your money, but if you only get like 4 putters in a champ plastic you are talking a difference of 16 dollars and then you at least have some. I'd also note that I'd think that since they ARE 11-13, they may even be more rough on the discs causing more damage to them. I don't know though. Good luck sir!

The shark is going to be the most versatile of those discs. It's nice and rounded, so it will work fine for putting at first, and is pretty easy to shape on different lines. Since you have middle school aged kids, I'd go with the 170ish sharks, if they were younger I'd say go with the light ones.

Latest posts