• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye a disc all black?

CL1KKL4C

Sry for the noob question..I've never dyed a disc before or really even researched it for that matter.

Anywayd I want to dye a disc all black. Is this viable? If so what would be the best colors to start with? Also the disc will most likely be innovas champion plast ice if that makes a difference.

Thx in advance.
-Art

Use black dye and most any color champ disc will end black.

It will be hard to see unless you're throwing in a snowstorm though so be warned.

I'd stay away from Black unless it's a putter. They are just really rough to find.

i would reconsider dyeing a disc all black. i have been "that guy" since i got a sweet black diamond. very hard to find and your group will curse you when you cant find it.

But, supposing you are doing to do this anyway....

idye Poly Black - mix a pck with ~20oz water, heat it up some (just to the point you begin to see a tiny bit of steam coming off it), then remove it from heat, and let your disc sit in it for a couple hours and you will have one impossible to find disc! :hfive:

Unless a local disc thief has inked it all over, or you live in snow more than a week a year, you'll come off as an egotistical poser/idiot if you dye any discs black other than a putter. Hell, my main putter for 10 years was white, and there were a few 20-minute searches for it.
I stay away from any dark shades/dyes of discs, though I do own a dark blue S. Beast that I use only in perfectly manicured parks.
On the other hand, collectors eat up black/dark/tyedyes, so if you're doing it to sell, you'll probably do well.

What's the deal with using chopsticks in the bottom of the pot so the disc doesn't burn? What do you used to keep it submerged? I'm trying to change an ugly brownish candy pro Leo to red. Thx

Lol.. well thanks for the advice I do appreciate it.
I know it's not ideal to dye a disc black and I know if it's not a putter it's very likely to be sacrificed to the DG gods.
However this disc is going to be a gift/joke to a close friend. It has to be a Black innova panther. I know to some this might come across in poor taste but I assure you with my buddy and my group it will be a hit.

^sorry roggenb, I was typing on my phone and trying to get my question across quickly.

I want to dye an ugly brownish / yellow disc (almost clear) red. I read somewhere that you can put chopsticks in the bottom of the dying pot so when you submerge the disc it doesn't rest on the bottom of the pan and hurt / melt the disc.

My question is how do you guys dye a whole disc another color? You don't just float it on each side right? Do you use something to sink it so it dyes evenly. I am using I dye poly.

Here is the disc, it's a candy pro leo

I have only dyed one disc completely like that, and I just didn't heat the dye up very much, and took it off the heat before putting the disc in.

Chopsticks sounds like it would work, but you don't neccesarily need heat at all - if you have the time, just submerge it in room temp dye and let it sit for like 2 days.

I just dyed the underneath of a flight plate last night on an Opto Saint. Prior to dying it was a very firm disc like most champ plastics. I poured the dye in to the flight plate and heated it up. After it was done I had a nice grippy, not as stiff, and somewhat flexible disc afterward. Not sure what to compare it to... similar to GStar plastic actually. Just something to keep in mind when heating it up... this is the second disc I've heated using the method I did that came out a bit softer

Latest posts