• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Equal Pay for Male and Female Pros?

Male and female disc golf champions should receive equal pay...

• Always.

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • When equal numbers of male and female players are adding to both cash pools.

Votes: 153 76.1%
  • When interest in watching men's disc golf equals the interest in watching women's disc golf.

Votes: 39 19.4%

• Total voters
I think the added cash should be split in accordance with the percentage of the field. I.E. if you have a tourney that is 30% MPO then 30% of the added cash goes to the MPO. 30% is MA1 then 30% of the added cash goes to prizes in the MA1. 15% is WPO then 15% of the added cash goes to the WPO. Money that players pay as a tourney fee stay in their division.

I cannot COUNT how many times BOTH Men talking over the video made comments about, "Oh, what Great Distance, FOR A GIRL." "What a Nice Line, FOR A GIRL." At one point the commentator that was On the card makes a comment like "She put a Huge throw on that. I was worried she out drove me."

���������������� Classic. I hope these guys aren't counting on ESPN picking them up when/if disc golf gets big. Yeah, "FOR A GIRL" is a HUGE hit with advertisers. Seriously, no phrase makes feminists see red more than, "for a girl."

Who are these guys? Who did the broadcast? Which A-tier was it?

Always? No. Yes to answers 2 & 3.

The World Cup outrage is misplaced. Yes, the Men's World Cup prize pool is 15x the Women's World Cup prize pool. That would be fair, in my opinion, if the Men's World Cup made 15x the money than the Women's World Cup did. But, comparing revenue figures from the 2010 Men's World Cup in South Africa and the 2011 Women's World Cup in Germany, the Men's World Cup made 50x as much money as the Women's World Cup. So it looks like the women got paid more than is fair.

A person should make what they earn or can negotiate, no more, no less.

Correct answer right here.

I was under the impression that the divisions were Open and Women's Open divisions. I am not sure why "MPO" has taken off in popularity.

Should the Women's only division get paid as much as the Open(to everyone) division? No. Women's Open limits the number of eligible participants to women only, so they will also be limited in the payout. I don't think Masters, GrandMasters, or any other division should have the same payout as Open either. The only exception (and you'd better believe I have my fingers crossed for this) is if the Women Only Open division sees a huge surge in popularity and their field outnumbers the Open division by a wide margin.

There is no sport that I can think of where men and women are equals with regards to pay out. It's a fact and there is nothing on the horizon to change that. I voted not until the interest in women's sports equals that of the men.

What about tennis? In at least all of the majors, the men's and women's payouts are the same.

Yeah, "FOR A GIRL" is a HUGE hit with advertisers. Seriously, no phrase makes feminists see red more than, "for a girl."
I call your bluff. Always, the tampon/maxipad/whatever company, made commercials with that exact tagline, and the feminists loved it... It even featured young girls doing activities poorly, but they did not care at all.

http://youtu.be/XjJQBjWYDTs

Apparently a lot of sports pay equally, at least those that are governed at the global level.

Not going to list them all, but out of 35 sports for which data was collected, 25 paid equally for men and women. This includes volleyball, snowboarding, figure skating, and fencing. Most of the major marathons (including Boston and New York) pay equally as well.

None of this is terribly relevant to disc golf, in part because as has been mentioned there just aren't enough women yet who are prepared to compete at the highest levels of the game. If, for example, there were 144 MPO spots and 144 FPO spots available at Worlds and both divisions filled, then it would make sense to have equal pay structures...

doing activities poorly? methinks you missed the point of the commercial

No I know what the point was, but they missed the mark big time. If I were directing it, I would've had actual female athletes doing things instead of people who just reinforced the very stigma they were trying to negate.

I call your bluff. Always, the tampon/maxipad/whatever company, made commercials with that exact tagline, and the feminists loved it... It even featured young girls doing activities poorly, but they did not care at all.

http://youtu.be/XjJQBjWYDTs

LOL, did you even watch that ad? The point is that "like a girl" was maybe the most humiliating phrase to all women. One of them even used the word, "humiliating."

You found an example of one agency using the phrase, "like a girl." Congrats, you busted my premise. Kind of. However, the agency isn't trying to get us to use the phrase the way the OP cited in the broadcast he watched, as an insult, the way it is ALWAYS USED. The agency is exhorting all of us to make the phrase mean the exact opposite of its traditional, insulting meaning.

Please, allow me to amend my original claim. No advertiser wants to risk humiliating all women by using traditionally insulting phrases, such as, "like a girl", in the traditional way.

Now try this: find a woman who is doing something skillful. Tell her, "you do that very well. For a girl." If she reacts poorly, explain to her the whole Always Super Bowl ad thing. See how that works.

Last edited:
Even better, how about you go tell her she does it "like a man" and see where that gets you? Besides slapped and/or kicked in the nuts?

Last edited:
I'll be honest, when I get a push notification from youtube about a new video posted I get excited, but when I see that it is a female group I normally will not watch it. It is not a male/female thing either. If I see a group with low level pro men or ams I normally will not watch either. I like to see players hit lines/putts...etc that I cannot hit so I am not interested in watching a group that I can be competitive with.

I am not a great player by any means. I played in a little local c tier and there was only one female player signed up. She ended up playing with us Advanced Ams and was in my group. She did beat me, but not by much...of course her name is Catrina and she came with her boyfriend at the time with last name Ulibarri. Catrina beat me by a little...Paul beat me by a lot, but we all had a great time. Catrina is a great player, but she is nowhere close to the top pro men, so I do not believe the payouts should be equal. Building on a previous analogy, that would be like Diana Taurasi expecting the same salary as Steph Curry. Both are great players, but who are you going to choose to take the last shot in game 7 of the NBA finals?

Personally, I think it shoudl be Open, Advanced, Intermediate, Rec and Novice divisions only. Disc Golf should take a stand against sexism, ageism and all other forms of discrimination. Sort out the divisions by player rating only, give out players packs and/or trophies only in all divisions except Open and, by paying Open only, take away any basis for any claim that the women, noodle arms, codgers or any category doesn't get paid as much as any other division.

You guys are triggering me with your bigotry. Women most certainly deserve equal money. So you guys would say to a woman's face that she is not your equal and doesn't deserve equal payouts?

You guys are triggering me with your bigotry. Women most certainly deserve equal money. So you guys would say to a woman's face that she is not your equal and doesn't deserve equal payouts?

If you have 7 Pro Women and 45 Pro Men at an event, how in the world do they deserve equal pay? I would think that any half way intelligent woman wouldn't need that explained to her.

Women can achieve equal payouts by playing open. Hell equal payouts for everyone male, female, masters, gmasters, adv, int, rec...just play open. Would it make everyone feel better if we all get a participation trophy?

As a lifelong Am I find it questionable that any added cash goes to any Amateur division. Added cash should go only to Open divisions. I also think trophy only is the wave of the future. Low entry fees for Ams, low players pack, bitchin' top three trophies. But that's a different discussion.

It would be nice if all Open divisions got more money. But such are the times we live in. I'd like to hear an actual pro woman chime in on this subject.

I will absolutely tell any women playing in a smaller, protected division that they do not deserve equal pay as the larger truly, "Open" division. There is no such things as a Men's division. If there were 2 divisions (Men and Women) that had the same number of players and same entry fees, then it would be terribly sexist for the women's champion to receive less then the men's champion.

In case you are trolling, I'll follow up with some counter-trolling. Let me know how you would answer these questions.

Why women need a protected division if they are equal to men?
Should women need to be 1000 rated to get sponsored by a major disc golf company?

I don't think anyone is honestly trying to troll. I think that it is a Sensitive subject, that's all. I think all of us being able to see the Various opinions on the subject makes for more Informed decisions, too. I have a feeling that this is going to be a Topic of discussion if Disc Golf keeps growing, so it is good to see how Folks feel about it.

I also believe, after reading this whole thread a couple times, that what it will come down to having to figure out a completely different payout system NOT totally based on Entry Fees and Division classification for the Ladies to receive higher payouts. Maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
To reframe the discussion a different way:

I think most everyone is on board with promoting women's participation in disc golf at every level, including professional. I doubt anyone honestly wants to see FPO players treated as second class in the pro ranks, but for very real, unbiased, practical reasons they are right now. The big question is; how to do we change that?

The best example of a sport that I can think of that has been extremely successful in growing a huge base of female players and lucratively promoting its top professional women is tennis. They are probably the gold standard when it comes to gender equality in sports. So; what did tennis do right to get where they are, and what would we have to do to follow suit?