• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Equal Pay for Male and Female Pros?

Male and female disc golf champions should receive equal pay...

• Always.

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • When equal numbers of male and female players are adding to both cash pools.

Votes: 153 76.1%
  • When interest in watching men's disc golf equals the interest in watching women's disc golf.

Votes: 39 19.4%

• Total voters
There is a difference between equality and fairness./QUOTE]

I'd like to hear examples of something that is equal and unfair.... Or, fair and unequal... If you care to humor me.

If we're referring to women's pay as being less than men, and consider that to be fair for such an example..... Then I would say that they are in fact equal in the respect that both men and women (should) get 100% of the entry fees entered into their division.

100% = 100%.

^ I have 1 dog and 1 puppy. They both get three meals a day. That is equal and fair. I was feeding them the same amount for a little while and old dog got a little hefty, that was also equal, but unfair. Now old dog gets less food because puppy has crazy metabolism. This is unequal, but fair.

^ I have 1 dog and 1 puppy. They both get three meals a day. That is equal and fair. I was feeding them the same amount for a little while and old dog got a little hefty, that was also equal, but unfair. Now old dog gets less food because puppy has crazy metabolism. This is unequal, but fair.

How is the old dog getting hefty unfair? Both dogs are at the mercy of their metabolisms all the same.

If both dogs getting 3 equal meals was fair, how is the old dog getting smaller meals fair at the end? The definition of fair has changed mid-paragraph.

I'm just writing to promote the idea that fairness is wholly subjective, based on what you feel merits importance.

How is the old dog getting hefty unfair? Both dogs are at the mercy of their metabolisms all the same.

If both dogs getting 3 equal meals was fair, how is the old dog getting smaller meals fair at the end? The definition of fair has changed mid-paragraph.

I'm just writing to promote the idea that fairness is wholly subjective, based on what you feel merits importance.

This isn't the best example to apply to DG payouts. I was just using it as an real world example of unequal but fair.

Me letting my old dog get too hefty is unfair because she's had bad knees since I got her as a puppy. Per common sense and my vets recommendation(nothing subjective about), I've always tried to keep her weight down in order to relieve stress on her knees. However she is part lab so she would eat until she puked and then do it again. Giving her the appropriate amount of food(even if it is less than the puppy) to keep her healty and allow her a long, active life is the only fair thing to do.

She used to only get 2 meals but puppy needed 3, so she got an extra, first with the smae amount of food and now with less food. That's how the 3 meals each is equal & fair. She doesn't know her bowl has a little less food, just that she gets to eat when puppy gets to eat which is what is important to her.

Ya foxin with that?

Again, this isn't a great example to apply to DG payouts, just something that is unequal but fair.

Bump for a hypothetical.

So do you guys feel the same about AM and unsanctioned tourney payout?

In this scenario how would you see the payouts being divided?

Unsanctioned event
25 men
2 women
all equal entry fees $30
total payout of $400 to be divided

How would you divide it up?

Last edited:
I think it comes down to number of registrants. If you have 20 men register, and 3 women register, it doesn't make sense to pull from the men entry pool to pay out the women pool, or the other way around (if that ever happens). It's the same in most sports with payouts like this, or royalties served from exposure. Just like the World Cup example earlier in the thread.

It's a nice fairy tale world, like equal pay for fast food workers etc, but theoretically the system doesn't work. When you work harder, or have more people enter in to the tournament creating a higher pool to payout from, payouts are just gonna be different.

As many as you think, but I would say top 3.

I think if you're doing 27 entries, 50%/30%/20% works. 405 243 162
That's if you're not breaking it down men and women. We typically don't in our mini's because we have two pro women who show up and kick most of our asses on a regular basis.

If you're dividing it, you could break that down to 25 entries with those %'s, and then the 2 women broken down as 60/40.

Latest posts