• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Fairway Setup Replacements

RomServo

Eagle Member
Normally my faiway setup is a G* Leo3 and a G* Teebird. I've recently lost my teebird and have become interested in DD.

What would be the DD equivalent molds and plastic for that fairway setup? A witness and a getaway? A maverick and a convict?

Thanks!

I really don't think DD has comparable drivers.. DD has some 9 speed ones but no true fairway drivers. The saint is a good option though it will probably be more stable than a G* teebird

Yeah your best bet for Teebird is probably the Explorer. It seems like a 100% Teebird shaped disc but in Trilogy plastic. I agree there isn't a good option in DD for that slot. Convict is noticeably faster, has more fade, and less HSS especially in the wind. Not as straight of a disc overall and can't be powered down as easily, although it does get good range on hard throws. I find them very unpredictable in wind. Saint Pro is another Teebird option for you since you are coming from Gstar stability. Saint Pro will likely lose a bit more HSS than the Explorer but still be very neutral. I have not thrown a beat in Explorer so I don't know 100%, but they can start out with pretty good HSS for wind resistance.

Maverick is the Leo option.

Explorer is a great Tbird like option. I found it more like gstar than star or champ, but maybe a touch less hss? A touch more glidey? Very close. And the rim is an exact replica

I don't know the leo3.

Maverick is a great disc. I find it a little bit unpredictable.... but it's one of the most versatile discs I own. I just don't have a great feel for the power/nose angle where you lose a hyser to a turn over... tons of potential though i think I you spend a little time with it. Doesn't like wind.

Normally my faiway setup is a G* Leo3 and a G* Teebird. I've recently lost my teebird and have become interested in DD.

What would be the DD equivalent molds and plastic for that fairway setup? A witness and a getaway? A maverick and a convict?

Thanks!

My understanding is that the Explorer was made for Wysocki as the Trilogy Teebird, and is pretty much the same disc. I haven't tried an Explorer, so others can better advise you on that.

As to the Leo3, the Lat64 River is the answer (or at least the first thing to try). Both the River and Leo3 are outstanding molds. :thmbup:

Thief and Stag are very good as well.

I've only thrown a star leo but if you want a 7 speed turn over disc the Maverick is awesome!

Well its not DD but Lat64° has the explorer (identical specs to TB and not a bad disc) if you want DD specifically I don't even know thay they have anything speedwise to match a TB but maybe. The getaway for similar flight. It seems that the trilogy Pros throw explorers and saints. Maybe saint pro. A lighter river may be your Leo answer.

Explorer for the Teebird. My other pick is a Longbowman, I've gotten used ones that are very straight to fade with close to zero HSS, which is what personifies a stable TB to me.

For the Leo, I suggest a Seer if you want a flippy Leo right away. Start neutral, beat in flippy quickly but a similarly slow rim.

Why the interest in DD?
I mean if you already like the Teebird Leo combo, why not just continue with it?

My interest in DD was sparked initially because (after a few months of extensive putting training while recovering from a knee injury) i now putt religiously with Marshals. I absolutely love my leo3/tbird setup and am fine not switching. At this point Im just willing to venture out and give their molds a chance. In addition, DD has recently opened thier 4th retail location worldwide just minutes from my favorite corses here in my own town... :clap:

My understanding is that the Explorer was made for Wysocki as the Trilogy Teebird, and is pretty much the same disc. I haven't tried an Explorer, so others can better advise you on that.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same disc. The only difference is that you can get them in different plastics. A Champion or Star Teebird will stay a bit overstable for a long time, but an Opto Explorer will beat in and fly straighter after a month or two. I consider this a big advantage for the Explorer because you can get that perfectly beat in Teebird flight with a lot less work compared to a Champion or Star Teebird and a lot more durability than a DX Teebird.

The Lucid-x Maveric is on the way, might be an interesting disc for you

mavelucxzach.jpg

A webbshop here in Sweden will release nine diferent Lucid-x/Opto-x molds next week . .

All Lucid-x i have tryed have been quite alot more OS than normal Lucid

Yeah, it's pretty much the same disc. The only difference is that you can get them in different plastics. A Champion or Star Teebird will stay a bit overstable for a long time, but an Opto Explorer will beat in and fly straighter after a month or two. I consider this a big advantage for the Explorer because you can get that perfectly beat in Teebird flight with a lot less work compared to a Champion or Star Teebird and a lot more durability than a DX Teebird.

Gstar tb has a pretty similar flight to a gold line explorer ime. The gstar was slightly more stability out of the box, but beats pretty quickly to a great glidey 0ish turn flight... it stays there for a long time too. I don't know how the gold line wears

Latest posts