• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Favorite 23mm Distance Driver?

Favorite 13 speeder?!

• Energy

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nitro

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Octane

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Catalyst

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • havent tried them yet...

Votes: 40 54.1%

• Total voters

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Welp?! From OS to US:

Energy
Nitro
Octane
Catalyst
(poll added)

Thoughts on axiom 23mm molds?

Last edited:
My plan for MVP 23mm drivers...

Catalyst - turnover and anhyzer drives
Octane - hyzer-flip to straight and sweeping hyzer drives
Nitro - fade, hyzer and headwind drives

I have Catalyst and Nitro on the way, need to add Octane :)

I just picked up a 168g Catalyst to test out and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't clicked a ton with most MVP/Axiom stuff, but this was a great hyzerflip tunnel disc or big sky anhyzer bomber. Workably understable, but still hooked up at the end. Easily hyzerflipped with a little turn, but not a rollover like many understable drivers. Or thrown high and flat, it would turn over and hold it for most of the flight without nosing down into a roller. I liked it. Not sure it will make the bag, but it reminds me of my seasoned FDs with a good bit more speed.

Was a dead heat between the Octane and Energy for me. The Energy is a great wind fighter and FH disc for me that you can throw as hard as you want and it won't flip over. Basically my ideal FH distance disc.

The Octane is equally great but I prefer it for long BH throws. Basically it's a Destroyer with the same resistance to turn, but a milder fade. Feels great and the go boom.

Didn't love the Nitro as much, it was not as OS for FH as I would like and for BH it was a bit too much, never get it over 375 BH. FH it went really far, but I don't like hyzerflipping FH shots.

Octane. I like the nitro but wish it was just a hair more OS (171). Still a decent wind fighter but I've flipped it a couple times into a headwind. Octane just goes really, really, really far...

None have really clicked for me. The Catalyst is in the bag for second throws/experimentation, but I still reach for the Inertia when I need to know exactly where my disc will land, the Wave when I have a little more room to the right to risk it getting squirrely, and a lightweight Star Tern when I really am looking for all out max D. The Catalyst isn't outperforming the Wave or the Tern yet, and isn't as comfortable in my hand, so it probably won't make the bag this year.

Similarly, the Defy killed off my brief foray into Destroyers, and the Octane hasn't booted it either. In fact, I just bought a DDx that may boot both out.

They are all too wide rimmed for me to bag. But if I had to choose, it would be the Catalyst.

I should have been more specific. I can throw them, but it's the very upper end of comfort for my hand.
I'd rather go with the Photon class for all out D.

Makes sense, but on very long holes another 30 ft can matter. I disc'd down about 2 years ago to only speed 9-10 drivers. Control was improved, obviously, but my distance was slowly bleeding off from prior levels(with speed 11-12 drivers). I went back to higher speed drivers beginning of last summer, even adding the Nuke and Force, as mentioned. Results were excellent, and immediate.

MVP's 23mm drivers aren't max rim width, so I'm figuring they'd be right in that speed zone that I want...for max distance drives.

Neutron octane @170g. Perfect for my 120m arm. Nitro is bit too much meat hook. Haven't tried energy, but based on nitro, i don't have to. Catalyst is nice with proton plastic, but i prefer the octane now.

Proton Octanes at 166 are my shiz. Seems to me they came out way more uniform in the dome area than the neutrons did. I had two neutrons. One looked like a DD cup, the other an A cup. The Catalyst is entirely too touchy. Too much hyzer and it's more OS than an octane, not enough and it's like a vanish. I still bag one, but not for much longer.

Proton Octanes at 166 are my shiz. Seems to me they came out way more uniform in the dome area than the neutrons did. I had two neutrons. One looked like a DD cup, the other an A cup. The Catalyst is entirely too touchy. Too much hyzer and it's more OS than an octane, not enough and it's like a vanish. I still bag one, but not for much longer.

Where's AIM? He swears by it at 425'

...all I know is I'm not throwing it in the wind.

You guys must have no hyzer flip game.

Ive thrown the orbital that far without it turning over too much and am bagging the vanish currently as well ;)

Of course any US disc is "touchy" but thats why you throw them on hyzer flips and mostly for max D vs placement.

You guys must have no hyzer flip game.

Ive thrown the orbital that far without it turning over too much and am bagging the vanish currently as well ;)

Of course any US disc is "touchy" but thats why you throw them on hyzer flips and mostly for max D vs placement.

LOL, I learned to throw 9 years ago throwing nothing but hyzer-flips using understable discs. That's why I told you no OAT is involved, and has never been an issue. Even though you hyzer-flip an understable driver, once it turns...well, uh.

...some are more touchy than others.

You must have strange Orbitals...yes, lovely controlled drives with that sucker at 400'+ :D

Voted for Octanes. My favorite by a fair margin. It's a great mold with different weights.
The Energy is fun, but definitely a utility disc for me. The N Catalyst at max weight is a bit touchy for me also. Yes, I have hyzer-flipped it past 425ft but that required some tail wind and height. And this was when it was new. I still carry it, but only for tail wind max D.

The Octanes (2 neutrons @ 173&165, 2 protons @ 168) I have pretty much cover the stability spectrum from Catalyst to Nitro. 168 grams seems like a sweet spot for me for nice controllable distance. The 165 is worn into a bit flippy, but still bombs.
None of these Octanes handle head wind reliably, so I got a 168 Nitro which is still OS but with added glide vs the 174 I also have.

I've been curious for a while. Is there a real BOMBER disc for MVP/Axiom? I'm looking for a disc that's like a Nice BEAT Destroyer, or like a Wrath/Inertia stability that goes FAR. I'm thinking Octane? I do not like low weights, but maybe upper 160's? or low 170's?

Now I'm using a Shryke and liking it, previous I used a Trespass, DDX, D3, Katana. Ideally # like 12/5/-1/2 ish. ? help?

Octane is what you seek. Disc goes far. Real far. I think you throw a little further than me, if you want to release it flat you probably want to go max weight. They start out slightly OS and beat into something that goes boom. It has the turn/distance of a nice destroyer but the fade of something like a wraith, as in the Innova one. Very subtle and at the end of the flight.

Latest posts