• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] FD2 - retooled

Yeah I agree, they do.

But if you are referring to team or media team members praising a disc, to think anyone would rave about a product they really dont like, suggests a cynical point of view.

I truly think this is a great mold, at least for me. Other offerings from 2018 for example that I didnt click with that much, I gave my review on them, what they fly and feel like for me, and have not said much about since. Like the Luster MD, just not for me, and you dont see me ranting about them like theyre the new coming of CE.

I dont know if that was what you were going at but trust me I am 100% sincere with these.

I was just alluding to the hype of this disc. I've thrown teebirds for ever and I don't believe that the instinct or FD2v3 could be reinventing the game at this point, but I still feel an urge to try them out. Seeing a guy with a discmania-logo as a profile pic raving about these two discs combined with recent ITB-videos with a clear turn to marketing discs is a turn off for me but I STILL wan't to try them. So they must be doing something right...

Fair enough. Its ok to want to try a disc. :) I still think the DD3 has the biggest hype. Mostly thanks to Eagle. Had he hit inbounds on his last drive at GBO that would have been the marketing act of the year. At this point they could mold up 10,000 of them only to have them gobbled up by the masses.

Fair enough. Its ok to want to try a disc. :) I still think the DD3 has the biggest hype. Mostly thanks to Eagle. Had he hit inbounds on his last drive at GBO that would have been the marketing act of the year. At this point they could mold up 10,000 of them only to have them gobbled up by the masses.

Agree with the hype about the DD3 and they're pimpin the Instinct pretty hard, though that is probably because it's a new release. The hype about the RR FD2 seems to have died down around here. All the shops still have them in stock.

I bought 2 pink 175g RRs because I liked the flat profile and C-glow plastic, plus they 'hyped' it as a 2nd run FD attempt. I really do like the feel and flight but I don't find it terribly different from other S/OS fairway drivers. It doesn't have quite the HSS I expected. Definitely keeping them around and will still bag them occasionally.

I was just alluding to the hype of this disc. I've thrown teebirds for ever and I don't believe that the instinct or FD2v3 could be reinventing the game at this point, but I still feel an urge to try them out. Seeing a guy with a discmania-logo as a profile pic raving about these two discs combined with recent ITB-videos with a clear turn to marketing discs is a turn off for me but I STILL wan't to try them. So they must be doing something right...

I am sure you are talking about me. I will say I usually have a positive message to whatever new discs I receive because hey...I love me some frisbees. I will however say that if I were to NOT hype new releases I am sure I would be criticized for that as well so I will stay on the hype train. The FD2 needs no words said about it. Just go throw it and find out! Will be staying in my bag and the instinct will not.

You and others :)

What do you find are the main differences between the two and why did the FD2 stick and not the instinct?

I have been throwing FDs for like 4 years and the FD2 feels very similar and the flight mocks what I wanted an FD to be like. The instinct has a "fuller" hand feel almost more akin to a mid range which feels great but just...different. My FD2s just want to end up near baskets. I already have immense trust in what these discs are capable of. My instinct seems more finicky where small adjustments cause larger differences in flight.

Wow the last page was a real dumpster. To those salty about Discmania's supposed marketing push on these, cram it.

I might not be able to wait for the production run of these, they sound awesome. Really interested to see how they mold up in regular champ, hopefully not too beefy or anything.

Wow the last page was a real dumpster. To those salty about Discmania's supposed marketing push on these, cram it.

I dunno man, thats a bit harsh... theres stuff on DGCR way worse <3

Why not get one now? I know some people are trying to avoid signature runs or other specialty runs, but for me I feel like a lot of them are better than the stock stuff and if you keep away from the really expensive stuff (like 2nd run FDs etc) then its usually not super difficult to get a couple backups too.

I dunno man, thats a bit harsh... theres stuff on DGCR way worse <3

Why not get one now? I know some people are trying to avoid signature runs or other specialty runs, but for me I feel like a lot of them are better than the stock stuff and if you keep away from the really expensive stuff (like 2nd run FDs etc) then its usually not super difficult to get a couple backups too.

I guess if you look at it as an alternative to a 2nd run, makes it a little easier to open the wallet... DAMN DISCMANIA MARKETING!

Except that it's not a 2nd run FD. There is no alternative, Discmania has basically proven that at this point.

As for the marketing bit, once you've seen behind the curtain, there's really no going back. It's not some huge conspiracy, it's just a few people who's jobs depend on them being active on social media. There are company reps who are here to push the conversation forward, then normal people chime in and sing the disc's praises, they are niced, more people see that, more buy the discs, and the feedback loop continues. It's whatever.

After the weird FD2 that I bought, I will be waiting for the stock champ run to really try out the mold. Too many things change between runs and plastics for me to invest further.

Here is a PLH comparison for the two RRs. How could discs from the same run be so different?

Attachments

• 5E6A9A51-131F-45B9-8E5A-ACD5FEBBA684.jpg
    5E6A9A51-131F-45B9-8E5A-ACD5FEBBA684.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 119
The one on the right looks like a Night Strike Fd......

They are both FD2s for sure. The one on the left must have had some mistake coming out of the mold. It has some peeling on the bottom near the injection site, and the top is very flat. I'll hit up DGU and ask them about it.

How are your Royal Rages beating in so far? Any updated thoughts on the new mold?

I bag my pink one and it's tough as nails. Has taken some hard tree hits and the rim is holding up really well. I get good flip up on forehand shots, but it always fades hard at the end of the flight. Backhand, it flies true to my release angle with the same hard fade. I'm happy about the durability, but if I'm being honest I was hoping to replace my FD with a beat in RR because the rim is so much more comfortable.

How are your Royal Rages beating in so far? Any updated thoughts on the new mold?

I bag my pink one and it's tough as nails. Has taken some hard tree hits and the rim is holding up really well. I get good flip up on forehand shots, but it always fades hard at the end of the flight. Backhand, it flies true to my release angle with the same hard fade. I'm happy about the durability, but if I'm being honest I was hoping to replace my FD with a beat in RR because the rim is so much more comfortable.

Definitely not losing any of their overstability yet. Still loving them, so I keep buying more backups. Then the stock run is gonna come out in a couple months and I'll *have* to buy some of those, smh...

Latest posts