• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finding Local Pro's

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
Someone in a post suggested that I find a local pro to take a lesson or two from, which I find a great idea actually.... Problem is, is that we do have a local disc golf league... but 1.)I wouldn't even call my self a 'B' player... so that's out of the question 2.) I tried to reach the contact on their website and no one responded.... So anyways does any one have suggestions on how to get in contact with a local pro or does anyone on here live in the North East OH area and would be willing to do lessons for some cash?

Easiest way would to be check out the Pro finishers form the last few tournaments in your area and see who's local.

Can probably find out he onto contact them on the inter webs.

Leave a card on the bulletin board (if there is one, or something like that), just saying you'd like to get some pointers from some of the pros, with your number. They bring the help, you bring the beer. Even if you just play a round or two with them, they're likely to give you some good tips and point out flaws they may notice.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/NEO_Disc_Golf_Alliance

Also check out Facebook for NEO Disc Golf Alliance. I am playing a tournament Sunday at Hudson Springs, not too far out of Cleveland. There are a few decent pros in that area that I'm sure you can get in touch with. What is your home course?

I actually live in the Akron area so Hudson Springs is literally like 20 mins from me...

I usually play wingfoot, portage lakes, and I've played the big course Canton like one time...

Go to the Portage Lakes disc golf website. Find the members of the club. I'm sure they'll be able to connect you to some good teachers out there.

Start asking good questions when you do make contact. It may not be the guy who always scores best but like who has the best putter, who has the cleanest driving form, etc.

Their are some guys out their who don't play as much anymore but who are often the best teachers.

Another good way to find local pros is to spectate at some of the local minis in your area. Then, after the mini try to get one of the top 3 finishers to give you lessons. Also, don't forget to talk to your local disc golf stores. Some of them will sponsor local pros, or know some of them who might give you lessons.

I think if you want to get the most of the experience I would find out whos doing what you want, I.e. Accuracy, distance, putting, or mental and put some cash on it. Give the guy 20$ an hour for taking the time and coaching you. Your investment of cash puts some skin in the game for you and likely you will take it a little more serious and local pros deserve to be rewarded for the time they have put in the to the grind.

To find the local 'pros', go out and play as usual. Observe the different groups out playing, and whichever group won't make eye contact with you or acknowledge your existence, are most likely the local 'pros'.

Or, play as usual, and the groups that won't return a normal, we're all humans sharing the same space friendly greeting, are most likely the local 'pros'.

In all seriousness, contact your local club or go to leagues and introduce yourself as a new player looking for instruction, or ask if anyone gives instruction.

Keep in mind that just because a person excels at a skill does not always translate into being able to teach that skill. So if some dude can crush but can barely string sentences together between sips of beer or hits off his vape, he might not make a great instructor. Never know unless you try, though!

I'm no pro but I can bust out the occasional 1000 rated round. I would be happy to play a few rounds with you and pass along the little I know. We're in the same area. Message me and we'll set it up! And yes as mentioned earlier Mike Gaston is our local pro. He can shoot and when he's available seems to be very happy to help out.

To find the local 'pros', go out and play as usual. Observe the different groups out playing, and whichever group won't make eye contact with you or acknowledge your existence, are most likely the local 'pros'.

Or, play as usual, and the groups that won't return a normal, we're all humans sharing the same space friendly greeting, are most likely the local 'pros'.

I throw almost exclusively with a few local pros and they're all great guys, always open to giving suggestions and answering questions -- especially if you're seriously trying to improve. Looking forward to seeing how they do against MJ in the Mad City Open next month.

I throw almost exclusively with a few local pros and they're all great guys, always open to giving suggestions and answering questions -- especially if you're seriously trying to improve. Looking forward to seeing how they do against MJ in the Mad City Open next month.

Well good for you!

A few things: I live on the East coast, and just about everyone over is an a-hole, including me, and everyone thinks they are superior beings if they even have a little bit of talent at anything.

My use of quotes around pros in my post was meant as a tongue in cheek reference to the local heros who aren't actually pros, but act like they are.

But for real, I ran into one local pro (1000+ rated) on the course one day when I was pretty new, and asked him if he happened to see where my drive landed. (It was nowhere near hitting him, he was putting on a practice basket near one of the holes.) He looked at me, then when right back to putting without responding. Hilarious.

Other local pro (also 1000+ rated) was too busy throwing lids at cars and unaware players after a tourney for me to ask him about disc golf.

I keep reading online about how nice disc golfers are and wondering where they all are.

Well good for you!

A few things: I live on the East coast, and just about everyone over is an a-hole, including me, and everyone thinks they are superior beings if they even have a little bit of talent at anything.

My use of quotes around pros in my post was meant as a tongue in cheek reference to the local heros who aren't actually pros, but act like they are.

But for real, I ran into one local pro (1000+ rated) on the course one day when I was pretty new, and asked him if he happened to see where my drive landed. (It was nowhere near hitting him, he was putting on a practice basket near one of the holes.) He looked at me, then when right back to putting without responding. Hilarious.

Other local pro (also 1000+ rated) was too busy throwing lids at cars and unaware players after a tourney for me to ask him about disc golf.

I keep reading online about how nice disc golfers are and wondering where they all are.

Ahh ok, makes sense. Road trip to the midwest and you'll find them.

Reminds me when I was in New York city one time, went to a bar just down from wall street. After awhile the server said, you're not from around here are you? I said no, I'm from WI, and asked why she said that. She said, you're too nice, everyone around here are a**holes!

Ahh ok, makes sense. Road trip to the midwest and you'll find them.

Reminds me when I was in New York city one time, went to a bar just down from wall street. After awhile the server said, you're not from around here are you? I said no, I'm from WI, and asked why she said that. She said, you're too nice, everyone around here are a**holes!

Actually met a guy from WI who was out here for work, and he was the nicest dude I've met on a DG course. I learned more from him in 3/4 of a round than anyone else combined. And he had a real dry sense of humor about the superiority of WI disc golf that I found highly entertaining. But he also dug our courses as well.

Someone in a post suggested that I find a local pro to take a lesson or two from, which I find a great idea actually.... Problem is, is that we do have a local disc golf league... but 1.)I wouldn't even call my self a 'B' player... so that's out of the question 2.) I tried to reach the contact on their website and no one responded.... So anyways does any one have suggestions on how to get in contact with a local pro or does anyone on here live in the North East OH area and would be willing to do lessons for some cash?

Do you have a profile on discgolfscene.com? It's real popular in ohio. Gastin is doing a clinic:

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tourn...d_by_Massillon_Park_and_Recreation_Department