• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finding mentors

I agree "breaking" into a tight knit league group is difficult and uncomfortable. It will likely be more comfortable if you find one friend, (even if they stink) to come with you so you have a buddy so you don't feel as uncomfortable at the start up of the league event.

In my experience very few disc golfers (even the smokers and drinkers) are abrasive unless provoked. Stay humble, ask for advice, listen to said advice, hustle to your disc if you are out, and most better players will show you patience at the very least. Most will offer advice. Even playing with them and watching them can help you become a better player. The biggest jump in my game came when I began playing leagues. Furthermore, some of my closest friends are players from that league, that before I started playing I did not know.

I reiterate, it is uncomfortable at first, but the reward breaking ice is worth it.

That was a good story about helping the lady out and seeing such a massive improvement in such a short period of time. Thanks for sharing that!

As far as finding people who play sober, well, maybe you should just focus on the game and nevermind the extra curricular activity if you really want to meet people to play with. Things generally snowball and when you are playing a couple of guys, then a couple of more, next thing you know you will have no problem finding people to throw with. But keeping a closed mind won't get you very far.

(I abhor cigarette smoking too, especially when they throw their butts on the ground, like nails on a chalk board)

Everytime pot is mentioned in a thread, it will inevitably derail into a discussion about weed. Every....single....time.

Why are people so defensive about either side???:thmbdown:

Did you tell them you putt Higher? :p

not really. I explained how their good putts were different from their bad putts.

It's the same as another friend's warmup move. As he takes his practice throw with his right hand he swings his left hand backwards. When he fails to swing his left hand backwards in the actual putt he always misses left.

Everyone seems to have something that helps them aim when they putt. If they fail to do it consistantly then they fail to make putts consistantly.

Something happened today that got me thinking about where could I find a disc golf mentor who could help me improve my game? I don't have any friends that are really into disc golf. I am their mentor, and they only play casually. I've thought about leagues, but to be honest, the local members didn't look too inviting, a lot of drinking, smoking, drugs, which I'm not too keen on. The only substance I need to have a good time is plastic in my hand, a target and a sunny day.

Anyway, so I was finishing up a solo round at my local park when I met this 60 year old lady who was carrying two discs. I guess she was kind of just throwing around. She was super cheerful and very friendly. She literally looked like a typical, nice, grandma.

This is out of the ordinary, because the usual disc golf crowd at my local course are usually men who are drinking, smoking, getting high. I have seen so many drug deals go down on the disc golf course.

She saw me throw on the last hole and was like, wow that's so straight. How do you hold your disc? So I preceded to show her what I was doing to make it go so straight. It was only 200ft hole.

She asked me if I was done for the day, and I said no, I was planning on going one more round. She perked up and asked me if she could join me for a few holes just to try and pick up a few things. I was like, sure, the company would be welcome and I don't mind teaching what I can.

Well, we tee off at the first hole. She basically does an awkward standing throw, I am sure you can imagine what it looks like. It goes maybe 50 feet, up, and dives left. She's throwing RHBH. I later find out she's actually left handed but was injured and was trying to throw with the opposite in hopes it would teach her better when she could use her left again.

I was actually amazed at her ability to pick up the game. This was her second time playing ever. And she had only played a few holes in her life before. I was even impressed by the discs she bought. She had gone to the local sports store and had picked up an Aviar P&A, a DX Shark, and DX Leopard. I told her those were great discs to learn with and she should stick with them.

So we took our time and we would let people behind us play through so I could take time to show her things to correct her form, explain how her discs worked, and to get the nose down. The first 5 holes were rough, but she was persistent and showed no signs of giving up.

But then on hole 6 it changed. She finally started getting a feel for the nose down and the motion of using her hips to start her throw and she "ripped" her shark and it went so much further and straighter than anything she had been throwing so far. She was so excited. I told her when she gets more speed and power into her throws, the disc will literally rip out of her hand. She had been skeptical at first but after she threw that throw, she was like "my fingers are tingly!" meaning she had felt the rip because she was starting to build enough speed and form to force the disc out.

Then on hole 8, which is a very short hole. 180 feet but technical. It is a super narrow tunnel shot you have to throw dead straight down. I throw and my disc goes straight but fades about 25 feet to the left and behind the basket. She gets up there and starts her routine and goes through the checklist of things I had told her to focus on, hips, elbow, nose down, snap and then she lets it rip. I have never seen such a good throw on that hole before in my life. She rips it DEAD STRAIGHT down the tunnel fairway with her leopard. It was super flat the whole way and it just cruised along maybe 5 feet off the ground before slowly coming to a rest, parked a little bit past the basket. I was a little shocked, I think she was too, you can imagine how she must have felt considering how she was throwing from the first hole.

We end up playing a whole round together and at the end she thanks me and I told her no problem, I just wish I had someone who could have helped me out when I was starting. I'm still learning myself but it's hard to find someone who can teach me. Which leads me to ask, have any of you found any good ways to find someone who can mentor you?

Dang, this did not lead where I thought it would. I thought it was going to end playboy erotic story style.

He is High and Mighty because he doesn't want to throw a round with guys getting high, drinking, etc..?

I am a teacher, 4th grade, and I am sure if I saw one of my kids and/or their parents at the park while I was throwing a round with a guy drinking a beer, smoking a joint, etc. nothing good would come out of it for me. I don't concider myself High and Mighty, I just like my job.

Wow-being seen with someone drinking a beer will get you in trouble at work! Talk about oppressive! And you like this job!?!?

If people are more into smoking than playing disc then that is the wrong crowd to begin with. I've been with some great players that smoke, but they probably only do it once a round and they don't make a scene out of it. Recognize what their priority is, it is usually quite obvious after a few holes. Since you get nauseous I would guess you are alergic to smoke? Considering cancer patients smoke to relieve nausea. ANYWAYS.

Another great way to find some good players in your area is hop on disc golf scene, goto your course and click on the events. Check the past events and you will see peoples scores. If they run events in your area you will find some great players, who play the course often and are serious about playing the game well.

I found one so quick. http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/2nd_Annual_VAD_Disc_Golf_Tourney_2012 Vancouver right? Almost 20 guys on the advanced card. There is sure to be atleast a few people you would want to play with right there. I'm sure they run leagues too. There you go, good luck.

if you don't smoke then it does give you a headache. don't assume we are all the same person and we all should be breathing in everyones second hand smoke because we are all cancer patients. thanks for informing us, internet doctor.

She had been skeptical at first but after she threw that throw, she was like "my fingers are tingly!" meaning she had felt the rip because she was starting to build enough speed and form to force the disc out.

I hate that tingling feel in my fingers. Once every few months I will screw up my drive and I'll get that. Usually it means the disc slipped out of your hand early and you still snapped/accelerated your hand without the weight of your disc to act as a force against it, so all the blood rushes to the fingertips and tingles.

Very cool story though. I try to help people out if they ask for feedback. Most people don't want it though so I only offer advice when asked. Last thing I want is to tell someone what they're doing wrong and then have them think I'm some sort of a prick that thinks he's better than everyone ;) So keep that in mind. If you want help, ask for it. Get involved with a local club if you have one and meet people, develop friendships. While having a mentor that is better than you is always great, you don't always need it. Sometimes it's enough to just get a few friends on a similar level as you that are just as eager to improve/learn, and have you push each other and give feedback.

Wow-being seen with someone drinking a beer will get you in trouble at work! Talk about oppressive! And you like this job!?!?

Never said I would get in trouble, I said, "nothing good would come from it." Ever been around 10 year olds?
Starts with one kid "I saw my teacher at the park, the guy he was with was drinking beer/smoking/whatever"
Next kid says, "Timmy saw his teacher drinking/smoking/whatever at the park"

It snowballs from there.

In choosing to be a teacher, I think I also made the choice to make good decisions while in public, especially at a park, where kids hang out. I do like my job, it doesn't pay great but I can make a positive impact on kids lives as opposed to make a decision that shows them that hanging out with people smoking weed/drinking/etc is ok.

Last edited:
Like someone mentioned meet people at the course and join them for a game if they seem up for it. Leagues is another good way to meet better players. It pays to network.

Its not oppressive. Its about perception. In certain professions one has to have a professional image at all times. As Bleedblue mentioned about the kids seeing him with someone who is drinking will possibly lead others to believe he was drinking and smoking. He wouldn't have been smoking, but that is what the perception is and in the life of a professional, its all about perception. In certain professions, you have to have a higher standard. Teaching is one. Firefighters, military, medical personnel are some professions that also have to have a higher standard. Especially military. You can be tried twice. Once in the civilian courts and once in the military court.

BleedBlue- I understand. Im in a similar situation. Luckily there is a big gap between where I work and where I live.

Last edited:
Some people like their cucumbers pickled, what's your point? Last I checked(this morning) alcohol, tobacco and depending on what state you're in- weed is legal. Our last three presidents have smoked, drank and even toked so I think those poo-pooing are being a bit too judgmental. I would wager you're just scared of meeting new people, so you project a reality where they aren't worth meeting in the first place, this relieves you of responsibility. I do that at times, but it's dishonest, and I know it, you should as well. The instant one believes he is better than someone else they are better than no one.

There has been some great advice here, thanks! I looked at disc golf scene before hoping there would be events this year so I could meetup with people but there hasn't been much. I will definitely look for opportunities to see how other people are throwing and ask if I can play with them if I think I can learn a thing or two.

As for the drugs, alcohol, smoking, I did not mean for it to go off topic and turn into a debate over all that. I didn't want to come off "high and mighty". I have friends who do any and all of the above so I'm not trying to look down on people. Like I said, on the course some people drink a bit too much and then end up littering, I'm not saying everyone does. The second hand smoke makes me nauseous, I am not a doctor, I don't know why, it simply makes it unpleasant to be downwind especially when I'm outside and I can breathe in fresh air instead, that's all. As for the drugs, they smell even worse than the cigarettes. And if they are really high, it's just as bad as walking around with someone who is stumbling drunk. I sincerely apologize if you do any of these but are courteous to others, I wasn't trying to offend anyone.

I think the title is a little much, as looking for a "mentor" seems to be setting the bar quite high. You don't need a single person guiding you thru your progress as a player, really you just need to expand your horizons some and meet multiple players who can add to your game.

* Travel to courses outside your area from time to time, great way to meet new people is to go to new places and play. Maybe on weekends, or maybe once a month you make yourself try a new course withing 30-60 miles from your house. Met a lot of players this way, showing up somewhere new and finding a completely different scene.

* League play is another great way, but just like that first day of school you have to be the new kid for a minute. Just need to get past that newness, shyness, or feeling odd about not knowing anyone. Understand they probably share some of the same passion for DG you do, so conversation is actually quite easy. Best way is to find some random doubles league, it forces people to meet new people, to talk and discuss shot selection, hole strategy and what not. Very casual atmosphere to watch a lot of other players play, be surprised how much you can learn just from watching.

* Tournaments, they don't have to be National events or A-Tiers, start off with Charity events, Ice Bowls, Ace Races, non-sanctioned stuff as they tend to be more casual and open to interactions. These bring in people from all over your area, you are bound to find some good people to interact with and play DG with. Met a lot of new friends just from being on the same card, its like a free chance to get to know them without any commitments.

You just need to take a little bit of risk and put yourself out there, you are bound to find helpful players who can improve your game. Good luck and hopefully you find some good folks on your journey.

Golden thrower has a point. Having multiple people helping you improve your game is also a good idea. Thats what I do. I always try to play with people that are better than me. I listen to their advice, and if it works I keep it. If it doesn't I don't use it.

Some people like their cucumbers pickled, what's your point? Last I checked(this morning) alcohol, tobacco and depending on what state you're in- weed is legal.

Sure alcohol and tobacco is legal(weed in some places), but most parks(at least around here) it is illegal to drink unless you have a permit for it. Whether or not people abide by those rules or not is up to them. Have I drank while playing disc golf? in the past I have. Also most places where weed is legal, does not mean it will be legal for certain professions such as military, cops, law enforcement, teachers, etc. They can still get in trouble if they got caught smoking weed, or even get in trouble if they were percieved as doing such. I'm not opposed to meeting new people whatsoever. As bleedblue said, nothing good will come out of it is true. If you don't understand, you will probably not understand it if people explain it to you.

I like having my license to do my job. I don't want it to get taken away due to some stupid crap where I wasnt even doing anything illegal. If my license is taken away, I just basically threw away 60 grand for my education. I'm not about to pay back 60 grand worth of money in a job that I cannot do because my license is revoked. Plus I love my job.

I agree with your points, when I said mentors, perhaps it would better to say, finding people who can teach me something, whether it's putting, driving, approaching, line shaping, etc.

I moved to San Diego to find my mentors. Payed off huge. Not sure I would have gotten as far as I have. Thank you Micah and Carlo.:thmbup:

I like having my license to do my job. I don't want it to get taken away due to some stupid crap where I wasnt even doing anything illegal. If my license is taken away, I just basically threw away 60 grand for my education. I'm not about to pay back 60 grand worth of money in a job that I cannot do because my license is revoked. Plus I love my job.

Wow- you're afraid of losing your job because you played disc golf with someone who was drinking a beer!?!? You can call that "perception", but I call that oppression. I thought we lived in the land of the free; what you're describing sounds more like north Korea. North Koreans love Kim Jong Un just like you love your job.

I have made a huge mistake. :doh:

Education...what a waste, just going to oppress me when I get a job that has standards and expectations. :thmbdown:

Should have learned to skydive, surf and rob banks! Long live Point Break, dude!:thmbup:

Not everyone has a sweet mentor such as me to learn from. I can't really imagine not having my many, many pupils learning such rad throws as, "the afro rainbow" and who can forget "upsidedown pineapple turbo putt".

There's a lot to learn out there.

Latest posts